Patch 11 + a basic melee testing map

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Patch 11 + a basic melee testing map

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Patch 11 :
http://us.starcraft2.com/launcher/patch-notes.htm

However since Blizzard didn't show up the patch notes initially (thus you update to the patch but had no clue what the patch did), it did push me into making a silly testing melee map so you can screw around and see changes much quicker and do some quick duels.

So that testing map have the following features :
-> You control Player 1 and Player 2 yet both are enemies to each other so you can build an army and pit them against each other.
-> Both players has all 3 races.
-> Infinite cash and instant build for most things (even did some backdoor triggering for the most important harder cases)
-> Defaults on Faster speed (instead of normal or so)

Since you still can't play custom maps on battle.net, you obviously open it up in the editor and you hit "test document" to do it solo.

So feel free to speak about the patch and/or the melee testing map I posted in the attachment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Patch 11 + a basic melee testing map

Post by IskatuMesk »

Wow, they nerfed Thor's anti-air AGAIN? How much do you want to fuck terran's AA?

BC buffs are nice though. I still say add the upgrades back. Those were cool.

They really are just making the Colossus an attack-move spam unit now. Increasing the RoF even further is the last thing they should have done. There's nothing even remotely unique about it anymore.

Hellion's don't really need range. They need utility. This doesn't change the fact they need a 150/150 upgrade to do any damage to workers and remain useless outside killing said workers or slowlots/slowlings /e ok that was apparently just to fix them whatever, they still need mines

Hunter-Seeker missile got nerfed into the ground. Seriously, it has difficult enough keeping your ravens out of enemy fire with scan-move but now it will be really, really difficult. I expect to see a lot more "oops" ravens dying from accidental movement instead of firing missile at such a close range.

Sentry nerf - about fucking time.

Mustaches saw a massive, needless nerf.

Dunno what I think about new corruption. Not sure how useful it'd be. It'd be nice against big targets but, again, not so great against a lot of small targets. Damage buff is very small.

Ultraslisks FINALLY got a base damage increase. Too bad Marauders will still annihilate them. They need like, 800-1000 hp with the numbers being thrown around right now.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Thu May 06, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

The changes to both the Infestor and the Corruptor seem to give Zerg an edge against the other races' capital ships.
No more humans, please.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Capital ships were already screwed vs mass corrupters anyways. This just makes them even stronger. See my videos where I just chain 1-shot carriers and bcs.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote: Hellion's don't really need range. They need utility. This doesn't change the fact they need a 150/150 upgrade to do any damage to workers and remain useless outside killing said workers or slowlots/slowlings /e ok that was apparently just to fix them whatever, they still need mines

Hunter-Seeker missile got nerfed into the ground. Seriously, it has difficult enough keeping your ravens out of enemy fire with scan-move but now it will be really, really difficult. I expect to see a lot more "oops" ravens dying from accidental movement instead of firing missile at such a close range.

Ultraslisks FINALLY got a base damage increase. Too bad Marauders will still annihilate them. They need like, 800-1000 hp with the numbers being thrown around right now.
Personally I see a higher range for Hellion as better for two reasons : Having a range on par to hydras's upgraded range , you can finally hit-and-run and not die horribly. What hellion really need extra for now is no longer having such a delayed attack (which put them on a serious disadvantage in real battles). Ultimately, it means that they finally care about the hellion anyway so they might make it more useful. Obviously, spider mines would be the best on them.

I kind of preferred Hunter-Seeker missile to be able to hit air since most of the time, you would prefer to mass kill non-capital air than some ground units that you are much more likely to have the counter units for.

As Ultralisks, better yet could be still better, at least they finally care about ultralisks too.

As a side mention, I did fool around with some units on my test map and I found the archon' slightly increased splash radius + changes on how it hits foes splash-wise to actually be any half-decent vs zerglings and mutas. Might not translate that well in actual gaming but we will see.

I am happy about the phoenix changes (attack while moving) since it opens up possibilities that actually use one of the fastest units' speed. For example, you fly around auto-shoot overlords then you find some enemy air, he chases you, you actually give a round of "jerk" shots while fleeing away until you go out of weapon range due to phoenixes being much quicker.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Apparently phoenixes are now horrendously overpowered according to some people. You can fire while moving backwards. It sounds hilarious.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote: Apparently phoenixes are now horrendously overpowered according to some people. You can fire while moving backwards. It sounds hilarious.
Well I think it's a full 360 arc of firing. As for overpowered, it's hard to say for me since quite frankly, it might be more "wtf it's crap and now it's good? NERF!" reactions than anything.

Phoenixes still got a lot of weak points to me, for example, even if you can lift units, you can still easily get them killed by side troops (ex : trying to lift marauders and side marines kill your phoenixes). Another example might be that if it can be overpowered for worker lift kills, it's probably easily counterable if you get just a couple of turrets as phoenixes are 100% vulnerable to anything building.

But considering how phoenixes were probably one of the most underused units, I might as well prefer to wait to see if they are THAT abusable now in high skill play (and after people develop strategies against them and such).
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Well most of the time gravity lift doesn't give you good cost returns when using it on workers. It's way too easy to counter them (lol a single hydra).

I'm more curious how Corrupters will be against normal air units now. I don't think +2 damage will make much of a difference as they fire incredibly slowly.