[BETA KEY] Warcraft 3 custom game contest on the SSJ event

Moderator: Milldawg

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

[BETA KEY] Warcraft 3 custom game contest on the SSJ event

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

The Satyr Sjunday event is celebrating its 5th anniversary. Thus to celebrate it, a gaming contest on Warcraft 3 : Frozen Throne will take place on Campaign Creations during the event’s time. The winners will receive Starcraft 2 beta keys as their reward.

The contest will take place on :
Server - USWest (not East)
Channel - Clan LLDN
Sunday, May 2nd at 7:00 pm Eastern Time (GMT -5:00)
Note : This is the usual SSJ (Satyr Sjunday) event time on Campaign Creations.

To participate, you will have to sign up before the contest starts.

The gaming contest will be played on these custom maps :

-> Castle Fight v1.14b
Settings : -rr3 (Random races per round, win 3 rounds for victory)

-> Advent of the Zenith v2.03d
Settings : Single round.

NEW : -> Desert of the Exile v1.14c
        Setting : Single round.

-> Battleships Crossfire v4.41
Settings : Short Mode (with traders), Fishing Off, no goblin players, single round.

-> Enfos TS MT v1.90c
Settings : Easy difficulty, offensives allowed, 2 round wins for victory.

-> Warlock 093
Settings : -15 (15 rounds)
Mostly intended to be used as a special tiebreaker if necessary. If a division has 5 final contestant but 4 beta keys, this map would be used to determine the 4 winners out of 5.

You can download these maps there : http://files.campaigncreations.org/wc/satyrsaturday/contest/SSJ_Contest_Maps.zip

Please unzip them into your Download folder of your War3 Maps folder to minimize uploads during the contest.

Note that the maps and settings might be still changed at this point. But this is the current setup.

Divisions

This contest will be split into divisions. A division will have a division judge, game judges and the contestants. Also each division will be assigned a set quantity of keys equal from division to division.

Divisions will be decided by Ricky_Honejasi. Since there will be a mix of common SSJ event players with external contestants. The SSJ event players will be split on purpose to balance teams.

Division Judge

A division judge is the ultimate authority for his/her single division when the contest event will start.

A division judge's decision is final thus you cannot contest it. Essentially a division judge's responsibility is to ensure their own division goes well technically-wise and to decide fixes when necessary.

A division judge :

-> Can decide at their leisure for unexpected events.
-> Observe games to detect hackers and cheaters (similar to Game Judge).
-> Responsible to save the game replays and keep them (similar to Game Judge).

The current division judges are Ricky_Honejasi and Lavarinth.

If a division judge is completely unavailable in mid-event (mostly for major disconnection reasons).  The other division judge will take temporaly responsability for the other division until the missing division judge comes back.

Game Judge

A game judge is there essentially to host games (if he/she have hosting capacities) and to spot hackers/cheaters.

-> Ensure all intended players are in the game.
-> Might play if it is required to balance the game in terms of team player numbers.
-> Main responsible to save the game replays and to transmit them to the concerned division judge or on the contest thread.
-> Refers to the division judge if there is a major problem. This includes cheating/hacking issues (even reasonable doubts).

Current game judges :
Mucky
Master Jademus Sreg
Tipereth
Xenon (aka Quantum_Menace)
Laconius
Arcan (Optional)
IskatuMesk (Optional – Mostly for him to video comment the games he wants)
Hunter_Killers (Optional)

Those willing to be game judges can apply to be one (optional or not). Although in general, it will be limited to CC staff, to regular SSJ event players or to veteran CC forumers. You will be considered disqualified to win a beta key as a game judge (even if you need to play to balance teams).

Judges flagged as «Optional» are judges that can show up but aren’t expected to. They won’t be hard-assigned games to observe although might be called to replace a non-optional judge’s job if said judge didn’t show up.

Rules

-> Obviously, no cheating or hacking. Cheating/Hacking will disqualify you. All "cheesing" tactics are considered legal.

-> If you are arrive too late (when the contest actually start for real), you will be considered disqualified. Be on time.

-> If a game judge disconnect from the game, the game will go on and the gaming group has the responsibility to send the replay (by posting it on the contest thread) to validate the game, otherwise it will be considered invalid.

-> If a game judge didn't set the intended contest settings for a specific map, the game will be still be considered valid if every player in addition of the game judge agrees to continue without rehosting the game.

-> Other than judges, no one is permitted to be on observer/referees slots. This is to prevent people giving illegal intelligence on the enemy team to a friend contestant in-game.

Preparation/Practicing Tips

-> Learn the maps in general. Forming some basic strategies is crucial. Trying to learn on-the-spot without any knowledge of the map will probably cost you (and your allies) the game.

-> Try to practice the maps with friends as much as possible. If you can't, either try to host a public game or find a game.

-> Watch SS/SSJ event replays there to see some potential strategies in addition of gauging the regular SSJ event players' skills, habits, etc.

You can find the replays there : http://files.campaigncreations.org/wc/satyrsaturday/Replays.html
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: [BETA KEY] Warcraft 3 custom game contest on the SSJ event

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Now taking up signups for the contest.
Theia_Loki
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Theia_Loki »

Curiously, how do you sign up? Is it as simple as PMing the guys hosting the contest?
"I figure language is a poor enough a means of communication as it is so we have to use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damned few words that everybody understands"
~Henry Drummond, Lawyer from Inherit the Wind

First Time Attempt at an LP:
[url]https://plus.google.com/u/0/110762779327102029687/posts/A1UWNRafWZT?pid=6149648681644876370&oid=110762779327102029687P[/url]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Just reply on here and let us know your Battle.net screenname.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Theia_Loki

Post by Theia_Loki »

Okay then.

Screen Name: Theia_Loki (US East & West)
"I figure language is a poor enough a means of communication as it is so we have to use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damned few words that everybody understands"
~Henry Drummond, Lawyer from Inherit the Wind

First Time Attempt at an LP:
[url]https://plus.google.com/u/0/110762779327102029687/posts/A1UWNRafWZT?pid=6149648681644876370&oid=110762779327102029687P[/url]
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

I forgot to mention I can't host.  :P
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Xenon wrote: I forgot to mention I can't host.  :P
It's fine, either an optional judge might host the game along with you or maybe even let the contestant host the game.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

Are we really using AotZ as one of the games? We never play that anymore, and one of the reasons we stopped playing it if I recall was because games took too long.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Desert of Exile is much the same but shorter. Maybe you could use that.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Yeah, considering it's pretty much the same gameplay from the same map author to boot. Ill replace Adzent of the Zenith for Desert of the Exile to make it shorter.

The contest maps were updated in consequence.

EDIT : Added the Desert of Exile map as attachment on this post for those that already download the maps already and prefer to keep their bandwidth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superdoughboy4
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Post by superdoughboy4 »

I don't think I've ever joined in on any of the SSJs.
I think I'll join in. My WC3 username on B.net is Undead_Dough.
But it's not certain. I'll confirm later when I can.
UbelFeuer
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Post by UbelFeuer »

I'm in.

Kam_Ghostseer
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So for matchups, ill pretty much decide on the spot since there are only 3 contestants while I was planning for 8 minimum.

In addition since divisions are pretty much pointless with only 3 contestants, Lavarinth can decide to not come if he wants to since ill be present in addition that most game judges are also SSJ players as well for the upcoming contest. Which it implies that ill be the one who will tell Lavarinth the winners along with replays to show.

Note that signups for last minute comers are still possible until the contest actually start tonight.

EDIT : Also since a lot of SSJ players will be there as judges along with some non-judges, ill bent the rule of having only judges as observers and pretty much allowing any common SSJ player (which still excludes contestants' friends unless it's a known SSJ player) to observe as long they don't disturb anything. After all, it's to avoid boredom for SSJ players of waiting on the side.

In the past, SSJ observers (even as referees which are observer that can talk to gaming players) very rarely did bother/influenced the game over the multiple SS/SSJ nights over the last 5 years.
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Sun May 02, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Meh. I mentioned the tournament in one of my recent videos. I was expecting someone to show up. What a pity - with only 3 players there will be nothing to commentate.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote: Meh. I mentioned the tournament in one of my recent videos. I was expecting someone to show up. What a pity - with only 3 players there will be nothing to commentate.
I believe you can still commentate although I admit the epicness scale will probably a lot less than excepted but anyway.

I guess Blizzard just gave away too many beta keys to allow a sizable number of contestants this time around.