Cliff's Beta stuff

Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Cliff's Beta stuff

Post by Cliff747 »

Something terrable has happened!!

I started out 1v1 in the copper league. I've played 70 odd games and stayed at 87 for along time but have moved up to 61 now.

I decided to try 2v2. I won 2 and lost 3 in the placement matches and started at 10. Won my first match and moved to 5. I lost the second and dropped to 6. In the third something magical happened. I play Zerg and got a Protoss partner on Twilight something against two Terrians. He said I'm going proxy can you go speedlings? I replied Z rush and the game was on. We wiped them slick. But that is bad, now I'm #1.

Soon maybe I'll get enough moxie to play you guys.

I have some questions.
Can you slow the game down from fast to slower? I know what to do but lack the skill to do it.
What are these portraits and decals and rewards?
How do I get a replay to you?
Under the cost of unit is something but it is too small for these old eyes to see, what is it?
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: Cliff's Beta stuff

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Cliff747 wrote: I have some questions.
Can you slow the game down from fast to slower? I know what to do but lack the skill to do it.
What are these portraits and decals and rewards?
How do I get a replay to you?
Under the cost of unit is something but it is too small for these old eyes to see, what is it?
Against computers, you can select the speed you want (down to slower). However, against human opponents in matchmaking,  I believe the speed will be always Fast or Faster. Even in custom melee games, most people won't really be convinced to play below Fast speed.

From what I see, all those portraits and such are more or less shiny stuff that don't have any real impact (but might be different in retail).

On a computer with Windows XP, the replay path is :
C:\Documents and Settings\Somebody\My Documents\StarCraft II Beta\Replays\Recent

On other windows versions, it would be "My Documents" via the buttons for it and you follow the same relative path.

As for uploading it, you can post with a file attachment (with "Additional Options..."). If it doesn't want to accept your replay file, you can compress it into a ZIP to make it accept it.

Under the cost, it's some chronometer icon, it's the time delay. Basically if you see 20 for a unit, it would mean it would take 20 seconds to be trained, same for constructing delay for buildings, etc. That's in normal speed and it would take less with higher game speeds. I think on faster speed, it's 150% of normal speed if I am not mistaken.
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

Thanks Ricky.
Several time I've had pepole ask how to slow down the game.
I have a replay where I accidentally won that shows what not to do that you guys might like.
What is all this stuff about encoding? Do I have to do anything for you to see it?
Last edited by Cliff747 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

Faster is the default game speed. Only custom games can have different speed settings.
No more humans, please.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Cliff747 wrote: Thanks Ricky.
Several time I've had pepole ask how to slow down the game.
I have a replay where I accidentally won that shows what not to do that you guys might like.
What is all this stuff about encoding? Do I have to do anything for you to see it?
Encoding is to convert the replay into a video file by recording the screen, if that's what you mean, so you can then upload it to a YouTube style site. However simply sending the replay file except to people who currently have SC2 will be able to watch it in the game without the need for all that other stuff.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

What a difference a day makes.
While I was starting this thread B.net went down.
When I got back on I was down to #3. I took a nap, that's what old men do, and I had dropped to 24.
I'm still finding the game speed a handycap. I know what to do but lack the skill to do it.
Before I know it I have 3K in the bank no army and am being killed.

I won't quit but maybe I can act as an adviser or coach.
It's great to see Ricky and Bill playing Zerg. I that area I can help.

Try a double 6 pool rush, especially on Twilight Fortrest where you have both the enemy together.
Start your pool, while it's building make another drone and overlord.
Then pumping out zerglings. Rally them to both enemy bases.
Twelve zergling each should do the trick. After the twelfth zergling if it's not working go back to your economy.
The money you lost is offset by the money they lost.

I would suggest this build order.
10 pool; back up to 10, overlord, 12, queen, 2 gas and a spinecrawler.
The crawler and queen can take care of scouts and early rushes.
Use the queen to saturate your mineral line and gas.

First 100 gas seedling upgrade second 100 gas Lair.
At this point I suggest a second main base hatchery.
With this and the queen you can mass14 roaches or hydras or mutas or overlords.

While all this is happening, something I don't do well, don't forget an evolution chamber for sporcrawlers, for antiair and detection. And more spinecrawlers.

Now expand expand expand. Remember He who has the most wins!! The most buildings, the most unit,s the most money.
The idea is to survive till you can get 14 broodlords and 14 corruptors to go for the win.

OK secret number one; Always upgrade!!!! If a building provides 2 upgrades build 2 of them.
Build 3 evolution chambers to quickly upgrade.
Two Spires and upgrade both to greater spires, they are stronger.
Two Lairs, one does speed and borrow the other transportation. The upgrade both to Hives. Upgrade your expos to Hives too.

Secret number two; Fast Expo
You will need 1 queen 7 or 8 drones and 2 overlords.
Have the overlords drop creep on both ends of the mineral line.
Queen two creep tumers.
Now cap the gas and place two sporecrawlers and two spinecrawlersat the ends of the mineral line and a hatchery.
Vola instant expo.
Last edited by Cliff747 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

That's it no more!! I can not continue to play 2v2 without a partner that Will make up for my slowness.

So how do I get a partner? Anyone want to volenter to play in the copper league with a 68 year old man? 8)

That reminds me, how do you get into a match with your partner?
And how do I talk to you guys in SC II, how do I find you and see one of your matches?
How do I contact someone that I have played in a match?

I can not see my match history now, all I get is the wait symbol. Does anyone else have that problem?

I'm attaching some replays cause I don't know how to make a video.
The first is a 1v1 where I won accidentally. It shows what not to do for both of us.
The second is very strange. Matched with a Terrian against two Protoss but they don't attack.
One gets mad at the other,I think, and takes out all of his Nexis. Very strange. I clean up with broodlords.
More to come, if you like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

You two pair up in a party, and play placement matches and are then placed in a league, wham-bam-said-and-done.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

I got a quick question. I just played a 2v2 against two Terrians. One left about 6 minutes into the game. Then he shows up on my door step killing me. What gives?
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

The other guy gains control of his units.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Mr. »

But if the guy who dropped is protoss, his ally is screwed, because he can't build any buildings with his ally's probes.  The game won't recognize the pylon fields when you try to build something in them.  (Even if you build a pylon with a probe after he drops)

Hope Blizzard fixes that bug in the next patch.
Paging Dr. @Lavarinth
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

Thanks, that's nice to know.
Last edited by Cliff747 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

Well I got my duo streaker award after 18 wins and 49 losses Rank 22. The very next game I lost to two random Zerg lost 1 point and am now at 21. What gives?
Also what is lag?
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Your rank didn't update after your last game.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

You mean when I started at 22 I was accualy at 21?