StarCraft II Editor Spotted!

Comment on our website's front-page headlines.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: StarCraft II Editor Spotted!

Post by IskatuMesk »

It only converts terrain I think and pretty poorly at that. I don't see getting much use out of it despite my mass of sc1/wc3 maps.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Its only terrain and resources currently, and it converts cliffs into normal terrain and ramps in SC1 just turn into pits and cliffs from WC3 just turn into flat terrain.

Theres no reason it can't be made to convert maps properly, its more to the point that they will either fix it or they won't.

Currently you are better off just using an older map as a reference to start from scratch in the SC2 editor.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Quite a damn mess to use that editor. So far, I tried to make a custom marine based on a normal marine for over a hour. In WC3, it's a 5 sec job to copy-paste a custom unit perfectly based on the original. Also the editor crashed on me 3 times so far (first time being by simply putting the plain marine unit on terrain).

The SC2 editor desperately requires these things :

1) Being able to add/remove links (of any sort) directly off a object (instead of having to backdoor into said links to remove their "pointer" to to that object if you even can).

2) When you duplicate (usually an unit), have the ability to decide what sub-objects to duplicate AND what sub-objects to keep the same links as the original. Currently, you can only duplicate some links, have some very default common links (attack, stop, etc.) and whatever preferable links to keep are removed and you have to manually to relink or even create new duplicate of said objects to re-link or other messy things.

3) For GUI triggering, put "New Element" and "New" on the top popup menu. I really cannot see how the heck it could be at the very bottom (a good 15 lines down) except by royal programmer laziness. It's simply just annoying that the most used option is in the hardest position to access.

EDIT : I had some plans to do stuff with but the editor is simply too much of a hassle at the moment to honestly want to do anything.
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

IskatuMesk wrote: It only converts terrain I think and pretty poorly at that. I don't see getting much use out of it despite my mass of sc1/wc3 maps.
Hunter_Killers wrote: Its only terrain and resources currently, and it converts cliffs into normal terrain and ramps in SC1 just turn into pits and cliffs from WC3 just turn into flat terrain.

Theres no reason it can't be made to convert maps properly, its more to the point that they will either fix it or they won't.

Currently you are better off just using an older map as a reference to start from scratch in the SC2 editor.
Wow.  That sounds totally useless.  I'm going to assume that it's still a work in progress.  It can convert both SC1 and WC3 maps though?  Interesting.

Considering Blizzard's earlier comments about maybe not including the map editor in the Open Beta at all, I'm going to assume that the whole thing is still a work in progress.
Aegis
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Aegis »

I'm also hoping and expecting this to be a work in progress, given how haphazard Galaxy is coming across at the moment.  Can't say anything about the editor really stands out besides the complaints against it. :P
Crap, dung, and everything that stands alone...
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

As I said on SC2mapster IRC, since i already got a very good graps on unit and actor maangement, creating a new unit is fucking easy. I even made a Zerg Matriach that can carry items and shit. OOh yeah.
_-|-_
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yeah... there's some neat things in the editor but UI-wise it's a huge tumble backwards from wc3 which was already a disaster. Whoever is doing the layouts and such for Blizzard needs to be fucking fired. It's a disaster how disorganized and haphazard stuff in the unit editor is.

It's partly because you can only list either alphabetically or by some totally random mishmash of what the fuck. The shields is way below the health, the name and unit description are on totally opposite ends of the list, and if you switch to GUI mode in the editor it turns into THIS fucking trainwreck

I had thought you couldn't get worse than wc3 or C&C generals but sc2 proved me wrong man

[imgwh 640x400]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/563/wtfab.jpg[/imgwh]

I mean I knew they'd just flat out ignore all of my e-mails/posts/ect about layouts and datedit and how they should not screw this up but come on, it's like they were intentionally trying to give me a hernia.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

I tend to agree in the organizatiob, but I actually call a bug in the loclalized naming (well not a bug, but it is clear the devs rushed to get it display fancy names rather than just raw xml node names and didnt really pay attention to properly categorize shit  - not how some shiled stats are in "combat" while others are in "none"), and fortunately can be easily fixed. I hope next builds address that, as it really isn't that complicated to solve.

Still, I would have wished controls looked more IDEesque. A more proper PropertyGrid would have been cleaner.
_-|-_