Are You Planning on Selling Your Maps?

Moderator: Milldawg

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Are You Planning on Selling Your Maps?

Post by Lavarinth »

Let us know! Yes or no, plus let us know why! One to three people who answer reasonably will be handed a StarCraft II Beta Key!

Reasonable entrants will be counted only as one candidate, at the closing of this contest, we will randomly draw 1-3 names to be eligible for keys, at which point they have 48 hours to reply before the key is redrawn.
Last edited by Lavarinth on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: Are You Planning on Selling Your Maps?

Post by Legion »

If I can manage to create something that is up to par and looks/feels interesting, I may consider it. However, there are people here who have created maps that are far more amazing than anything I could ever conjure up, and they gave them away for free.

Ultimately, I think the best reward is still recognition amongst the community, but if enough people jump on board and sell their maps 'the iPhone apps way' (variable prices, preferably under 50 cents...) or something, I'd seriously consider doing this.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

NOPE!

Money and custom content need to steer clear of each other always.
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Krazy »

It depends on the map.  If I spend a certain amount of time on a map, and if I do a lot of original sound editing, then I would consider it.  But probably not, since then I wouldn't be able to use free music. 

There are ways I could imagine selling regular maps, perhaps if one became popular enough then I could make a revised special edition (maybe like a ridiculously easier version for people who want to see the ending).

But all those possibilities strike me as things to do a long way down the road, and I might never reach that point.
http://krazygaming.freeforums.org/
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

No.

Selling a work of authorship for is meant as compensation for the expenses incurred from publishing and distributing it. SC2 maps are:

A) Free to create
B) Free to distribute
C) Not bound by any copyright, patent, or trademark, except for Blizzard's EULA

Why should someone be able to sell something that cost them nothing to make? If they really want to make money, they should work on making their own game, rather than trying to profit off something that they bought like the rest of us did and isn't their own work.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

I would sell something if I had a paid team that worked on making assest like msuic and voice acting and models, so I can cover up the expenses. Otherwise, nah.
_-|-_
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

Mucky wrote: Why should someone be able to sell something that cost them nothing to make? If they really want to make money, they should work on making their own game, rather than trying to profit off something that they bought like the rest of us did and isn't their own work.
If someone makes a text based web page expressing their opinions, should they not be allowed to sell access to their web site for those willing to pay?  Sure, the number of people WILLING to pay may be small, but that doesn't make the content any less theirs, even though they didn't originate the HTML format that allowed them to spread their opinions.

Maps are a different kind of opinion.  They are a creative opinion.  We think this will be fun, or we think this will be interesting.  Therefore, if we think we can charge you for it and you're willing to pay for it, there should be no ethical issue whatsoever.  If you're unwilling to pay for it but still want to play it, then that isn't an ethical issue, it's merely a personal decision.  You have decided that you would rather keep the money rather than spend it to play a map.

There is no ethical dilemma here, because Blizzard has eliminated the legal dilemma, which in turn caused the original ethical dilemma.  All that's left is a lot of people who are used to getting a lot of stuff from free.

In response to the original question, I know I won't be charging for anything I release the first year of SC2's release.  But if there is money to be made and I can see a way to do it reasonably, I certainly won't ignore such an opportunity.  People need money to live.  Some people make careers out of doing stuff they enjoy.  Therefore, if I can make money off of something I enjoy doing, only an idiot afraid of looking like a tool wouldn't take advantage of such a situation.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Too interesting of a question for me not to throw my two cents in.

Really, Blizzard's plans for the program seems to be far more focused on catering to the next DotA than to campaigns.  I lean towards campaigns rather than multiplayer UMSes so I don't really see this being much of an option.  I really doubt that we'll see many, if any, premium campaigns by the community.

Now, if I had the chance to be paid to make a campaign through Blizzard's premium map trading system, would I take it?  I dunno.  There's a lot to take into consideration first and I don't think Blizzard's released all the details, let alone the fine print.  I make campaigns for fun.  I like writing stories, and StarCraft makes for an interesting medium to tell them in.  So really, I'm happy with releasing a campaign for free to let other people enjoy it.  Fame and fortune really aren't my goals here.

Third party content is out, which would hurt me alot.  I can't model, make portraits, voice act, design a program for loading content into a custom MPQ file, or compose my own music.  That means no more looting FF8 for soundtracks if you want to go the premium route, Blizzard's going to own your map and they don't want to get sued for that.  Using community content is going to be iffy.  If I used a portrait or model that its creator made freely avaliable to the community, that person really should be getting a share of my profits.  But what if he doesn't want his model or portrait used that way?  Same goes for voice actors.  It strikes me that any premium campaign is either going to be very spartan unless Blizzard chips in (which I'd find doubtful unless you're really successful), fail and never achieve premium status due to drama/legal issues or be a team-effort with premium status in mind (which strikes me as being a terrible business plan and would likely end with drama when the people involved realize that).

I think I'll settle with a probably not.
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

I'm not intent.  I could do it, no one ever knows... if not for a *slight* problem.  I DON'T HAVE A BANK ACCOUNT! xD
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Are you guys trying to get a second key or something?  ;)

(psst... the patch is up)
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Meta »

Most likely, I won't sell anything.

I have nothing against those who will do it, but it's just a personal matter: I make maps for fun and I believe the fun will be spoiled if I ever profit from them. However, if such a market proves feasible - if people are indeed willing to pay for custom content - and if my content reaches a very high quality level (with custom music, voices, skins, art and models) I might consider it. However, as of now, I'm opposed to it.
Rhymer
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by Rhymer »

No, I wouldn't. I mod because I love to do so, not to make money off of it.

Acually, I don't really feel like recognition is that important either, although it's really nice to see people play what you've made. I don't really care if they know I made it, just so long as they enjoy it :)

Cheers;
//Rhymer
Mr.

Post by Mr. »

No, I wouldn't do it. 

This isn't my job, or how I make my living.  I'm doing it for fun.  And I'm not going to try to make a profit off of it just because I can.  And I wouldn't have any other reason than "just because I can."  I've thought about this before, and I always come to the same conclusion.  I think about how I would like to make it free, because I think it should be, and want it to be accessible to anyone, whether they are willing to pay for it or not.  Then I think, "Hey, but if I charged 50 cents for it, I might make a few dollars!"  But that's the only reason I can come up with to charge anything.  And that is a pretty horrible reason.

Besides that, it would severely limit my potential audience.  I'm sure there are a lot of people who might be browsing for some custom content to play, and not even think about paying for anything.  Even if it's $0.01.  I don't blame them.  I will probably be the same way unless something spectacular comes along.  I would love to have lots of people play something that I make.  And charging for it could only make less people interested. 

It's just not the way I want to do it.  I'm not a professional.  It would be awesome to be one someday.  But I'm not today.
Paging Dr. @Lavarinth
Theia_Loki
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Theia_Loki »

Would I be selling any maps or mods (i.e. Campaigns) that I end up making?

Lets see. Premium Quality Map(s) built periodically over time, with plenty of appealing content that will entertain folks for "potentially" years. Getting paid for making it? Doesn't sound too bad. Would I really be doing it? That would be a very absolutely positively certain...Nope.

Better off charging nothing for maps (or mods) that are made by me. You earn money doing real jobs rather than just through a well-polished and indulging game created solely for entertainment (and the odd lesson here and there).

Besides, paying money to buy a map/mod to play for a game that you have already paid for just sounds a bit absurd. Maps and mods are better off being free content than things bought online or at a computer store.
"I figure language is a poor enough a means of communication as it is so we have to use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damned few words that everybody understands"
~Henry Drummond, Lawyer from Inherit the Wind

First Time Attempt at an LP:
[url]https://plus.google.com/u/0/110762779327102029687/posts/A1UWNRafWZT?pid=6149648681644876370&oid=110762779327102029687P[/url]
Falchion
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Theia_Loki wrote: Would I be selling any maps or mods (i.e. Campaigns) that I end up making?

Lets see. Premium Quality Map(s) built periodically over time, with plenty of appealing content that will entertain folks for "potentially" years. Getting paid for making it? Doesn't sound too bad. Would I really be doing it? That would be a very absolutely positively certain...Nope.

Better off charging nothing for maps (or mods) that are made by me. You earn money doing real jobs rather than just through a well-polished and indulging game created solely for entertainment (and the odd lesson here and there).

Besides, paying money to buy a map/mod to play for a game that you have already paid for just sounds a bit absurd. Maps and mods are better off being free content than things bought online or at a computer store.
Yeah, well, it's exactly the same thing as a guy with a gun who misses the bad guy and still shoots his own leg:  Good intention but terrible result.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link