The Useless Games Thread

Moderator: Milldawg

DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Re: The Useless Games Thread

Post by DrumsofWar »

See what Yahtzee says about your so-called insights

But yeah, Bioware is too much like Bethesda in that they stick with that silver bullet of singleplayer and never really "get" online multiplayer.  The only game Bioware made to break this mold was one of their first - Neverwinter Nights I which had amazing modability and persistent multiplayer, creating one of the first true MMOs and unfortunately, the last MMO players could mod (even if the damn thing used C).
thebrowncloud
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by thebrowncloud »

In general, I'm not a huge shooter, sports, or racing fan when it comes to games. Games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark (not Zero! I still have nightmares), and the Half-Life series are a few exceptions for shooters, but there are none for sports or racing in my book.

Prototype is definitely up there. Not so much that it was awful, just disappointing. It had a decent plot, good voice actors, nice array of powers, and a fun, elaborate environment that was well-supported by the free-running mechanics. The problems lie in that it had one of the world's shittiest scripts. Ever. Swears came out of nowhere, whenever a cutscene came up I could barely understand the context of what the characters were saying, and it just didn't seem natural in the slightest. They had some decent talent with the VAs that I'm sure did the best they could with what they had to work with, but whoever wrote the script should never have a job as a writer ever again. Another part that really disappointed me was that every single one of the powers you get access to in the game was revealed before the game came out. I thought there were going to be a ton more really awesome abilities that you could use, but I was wrong. The gameplay was fun, fast-paced, and relatively fluid (although with the range that the attacks have and the amount of baddies, its hard not to connect an attack). The game was also comically gory. Its sheer "over-the-top-ness" had me laughing for hours. Prototype was certainly a good time, it just had some really unfortunate flaws starting before the game even came out.
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

DrumsofWar wrote: See what Yahtzee says about your so-called insights

But yeah, Bioware is too much like Bethesda in that they stick with that silver bullet of singleplayer and never really "get" online multiplayer.  The only game Bioware made to break this mold was one of their first - Neverwinter Nights I which had amazing modability and persistent multiplayer, creating one of the first true MMOs and unfortunately, the last MMO players could mod (even if the damn thing used C).
Dragon Age was supposed to have multiplayer but they dropped it at some point in development when I wasn't paying attention.  It even has a little tombstone in the hidden graveyard in Haven alongside the Human Commoner Origin. :(
IskatuMesk wrote:
Dragon Age I think has fewer npcs, and thus the world might feel smaller or less developed, but that is because Dragon Age is a 3D game that is fully voiced all the way through.  But, I mean, considering there is a waitress in Denerim called "Edwina" I think they were really trying as much as possible to make DA a spiritual successor to BG2.
The dialogue for DA:O looks decent from what I've seen... but the overall story doesn't sound terribly inspired. I also get the vibe/have heard that they wanted to make it a spiritual successor. But I think they tried too hard. They tried too hard to make it super epic and amazing and over the top. The trailers were dreadfully bad (just seems to me that Bioware's guys who make trailers are overall awful at it, I mean look at ME2's trailer and all the pre-release DA:O trailers, they're awful.)

Plus I've heard the gameplay is... bland.

As for Bioshock related flame war... heheheh. why so serious
Bioware just sucks at making trailers.  As a former Baldur's Gate fanatic, I am quite happy with DA.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

HKS was telling me that in prototype all of the fights involved you getting stunned/knocked around over and over and over like WoW pvp
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

IskatuMesk wrote: HKS was telling me that in prototype all of the fights involved you getting stunned/knocked around over and over and over like WoW pvp
In the beginning, definitely. But once you got used to attack patterns and learned which abilities to use on which enemies, you could really kick the crap out of guys. The humans and their missiles/rockets will pretty much knock you around no matter what stage in the game you are if you aren't paying attention.
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I read that DA:O was pretty dependent on the mage classes and a specific sub of the mage class... I forget the names. But in short, it was a matter of caralling guys into a corridor and aoe'ing them all to death or just kiting bosses around WoW-style. Apparently many of the melee specs were fairly weak compared to casters. Though they may have patched it since I read that which was a while ago.

Never played IWD.

PS:T is pretty much the absolute epitome of environment and world in the gaming world from my eyes.

I think HKS was referring to the mutant bosses.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

Iskatu, I'll tell you straight up, even on hardest difficulty DAO offered as much challenge as KOTOR, meaning none at all if you haven't caught on.

And no, melee was never weak. But here's the gist of the three classes:

Mages are the best class overall, and are ALWAYS useful. Can do ANYTHING. Limited by mana potions; meaning no limit.

Rogues, 10 second cool down vanish, enough said. Highest single target DPS by a large to large large large margin depending on patch.

Warriors, near immunity to magic later, stuns more than a prep rogue or 2H mace stun, tank.

I only played the first 5 or so patches though, then the laptop I was borrowed was returned. Either way I never had any problems even my first time playing and I was on hardest difficulty. Solo was also quite easy regardless of class.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

What's the editor like? Easier/faster to use than NWN? As powerful, more powerful? Some guy on TL was enabling you to transform into bosses and use boss skills and such but that kind of stuff is really basic for most games.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

Ummm, at the time when I was about to stop playing, not a lot of great mods came out. The best ones that came out were like, crap that removed graphical annoyances for spells or sound removal for skills that you used a lot. That or the respec mod was probably the most "complex" mod out there. Everything else was just people remodeling or altering skins and crap like that. I don't even recall a mod that allowed you to transform into bosses and use boss skills that wasn't buggy back then, every time I turned into a dragon or ogre shit got REALLY broken and my saves all died.

And honestly, I've always been a gamer, so I can't tell you much about that aspect. However from a gut level feeling, the core engine is much more limited than NWN/NWN2, and therefore I feel it won't get as far. And I have yet to see any "campaign" or stuff like that which allows other people to tell make their own world or stories, however I could be incorrect as I did play upon launch and it could be that everyone was still warming up.

One thing is for sure though, most of the modding sites or whatever sucked. Bioware's official site is terrible, beyond terrible, though a fan made one seemed to have a superior interface to nwnvault.

But my opinions on the editor should be taken with the least weight, since I know jack squat in that aspect.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Guess sc2 is my only option for RPG's.

But that depends if I can get WoW models into sc2 or not.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

But...but clearly The Old Republic will satisfy all your RPG needs! After all, it's suppose to be KOTOR 3-9000!
GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

Legion wrote: I remember some of that. I never get these tycoon games, anyway. Sure, they look cute, but why would you ever wanna play it?
Because they can be amazing. There's hundreds of tycoon games but there's not much good ones. Transport Tycoon Deluxe in it's OpenTTD for is THE SHIT. It gives you well made sprite based graphics so things can look pretty, it gives you A LOT of things to do, it gives you multiplayer over the internet, it keeps you interested because anything you do can most likely be improved on and done better. The difference between low level player and high level player in OpenTTD is beyond huge, so much things to learn. The goal is rather simple, hop into an online game and try to outdo everyone else, or join up with some friends and start one company managed by all of you. Don't get me started on the amount of user made content and how easy to get and use it is on this game. It's also 100% free.

Oh and so far it has a lead on Starcraft in staying alive as a game.
[imgwh 621x144]http://i.imagehost.org/0709/TuningFail.png[/imgwh]
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

The core engine of Dragon Age is pretty much the same as NWN... You make a module and then fire it up through the mod loader.

Regarding Mages: Mages are balanced out by the fact that they are squishy, this doesn't come into play in the campaign because the AI FFs the guy in biggest armor. Mana clash is only usable on casters, which you kill straight up at the start of fights anyway. Arcane Warrior is the only truly OP build, but you have to do it on your character for it to become gamebreaking.

Shale is much more OP and gamebreaking due to the way her crystals work and the fact that she can't be clobbered by the dragons nibble abilities. High health and armour only make her more ridiculous.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

I see no point in pumping health ever on any character besides shale for his crystal requirements. Strength has it's uses for requirements also, but dexterity shines in this game like no other because not only does it add armor, it adds dodge that doesn't go at a diminishing returns rate. There is also no boss in any difficulty that will one shot you given you go through the game in proper order, but that only applies to people who solo and cannot afford to have one person faint.

In fact, the closest thing you'll have to dying is that stupid event where a ghost makes you go to sleep and therefore "kills" you, but you can simply ignore it and make the ghost come out.
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

IskatuMesk wrote: I think HKS was referring to the mutant bosses.
Some of the bosses were like that, yeah. A decent amount of the bosses are actually just bigger, tougher versions of regular enemies, so I didn't find those that different from the regular combat. The last two bosses were definitely like how he described it, though. There really wasn't any good way to approach the fights and you find yourself getting knocked around a TON.

On another note, am I the only one here who didn't like Fallout 3?
-George Bernard Shaw