Hercanic's SC2 Beta Exposure! (Scandalous!)

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Hercanic's SC2 Beta Exposure! (Scandalous!)

Post by IskatuMesk »

Hercanic wrote: DiscipleOfAdun has been prodding the Beta files as well, and by the looks of things he is thinking that the entire game is in itself a mod atop their engine. He is investigating to confirm this, but if true the possibilities for mods will truly be staggering.
I said the exact same thing in my video when I first looked at the files. I am sure that this is how it works, it's the reason the file structure is the way it is.

I also noticed Terrazine as well and mentioned that to HKS but didn't pay any attention to Ghost, so I figured it was a new campaign resource.

Also another thing I said in my video (and in my thread iirc), it's a sequential loading system. Meaning that as long as the data doesn't conflict, you can probably mix and match various mods just like supcom and sins, oblivion, ect. But this is kind of a silly business and probably won't work out very well because of people being very disorganized and modding core files and such.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Hercanic wrote: DiscipleOfAdun has been prodding the Beta files as well, and by the looks of things he is thinking that the entire game is in itself a mod atop their engine. He is investigating to confirm this, but if true the possibilities for mods will truly be staggering.
What does that even mean?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Legion wrote:
What does that even mean?
Consider it like RPGMaker2k, or Torque. Cut out all the units, terrain, etc, and leave only things like lighting, particles, etc and that's the engine graphically. Play-wise it's an RTS so it performs like an RTS until you inject code into it to play differently. However, there is no units so you'll have to drop units into it. Basically it's just an engine. Nothing else, which this was skeptical but likely confirmed now. So in the first release, you are purchasing the engine and the mod which is Terran and melee. When the new expansion comes out, it's a new mod, which will likely read off the first mod (does this mean mods can be "add-ons" to other mods?) and add to it.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
poiuy_qwert
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by poiuy_qwert »

[align=center][url=http://www.modcrafters.com][imgwh 400x75]http://www.modcrafters.com/images/sig_logo.png[/imgwh][/url]
[url=http://www.modcrafters.com/wiki/index.php?title=PyMS]PyMS[/url] ([url=http://www.broodwarai.com/forums/index.php?showforum=40]Forums[/url]/[url=http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/index.php?topic=877.0]Local[/url]) | [url=http://www.broodwarai.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=709&view=getnewpost]ProTRG[/url] ([url=http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/index.php?topic=2214.0]Local[/url]) | [url=http://www.staredit.net/topic/4540/]LocUnlock[/url][/align]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

He posted too late!
- - Lavarinth
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

If i wasn't paranoid about being kicked out of beta because its beta I would've been modding it the day the beta came out.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Can you run vs AI games when you're not connected to Battle.net/internet? If so, Blizzard's servers can't monitor the game, and they're probably not picky about data edits when you're the only player. The EULA bans "third party software" that interferes with the game, and edited data is not third party software.

Of course that's easy for me to say...  ::)
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Xenon wrote: Can you run vs AI games when you're not connected to Battle.net/internet? If so, Blizzard's servers can't monitor the game, and they're probably not picky about data edits when you're the only player. The EULA bans "third party software" that interferes with the game, and edited data is not third party software.

Of course that's easy for me to say...  ::)
No, everything's through Battle.net
- - Lavarinth
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

Last edited by UntamedLoli on Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Noice.  ;D

At first I thought it was shooting multiple SCVs at once, but it turned out that was just the other SCVs firing back.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

lol @ people claiming to be first

Are they actually going to make anything worthwhile?

No.

Is there any value in claiming to be first?

Not in sc2. The XML files are right there. Anyone can change 'em.

But I expect that if Bluzzard finds out you're gonna get CURBSTOMPT
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Tech buildings, the structures that unlock units and perform research, have one important gameplay function. Beyond adding a delay time and shadow cost to higher tier units, tech buildings are vital to scouting. They indicate what choices an opponent has available, what unit types they are going for, and allows a scouting player to alter their army composition to compensate and counter. This information is incomplete, though, as you cannot see what is being researched or what units are being produced. Nine Zerg eggs could have anything brewing inside.

In Starcraft 2, there have been some changes. An Overseer cocoon looks different from a Brood Lord cocoon. A Tech Lab add-on glows when the main building is producing something that requires it (though this can be deceptive if, say, Marines are being made while Stim Packs are researching). The most significant exposure, however, is the Stargate, which shows a transparent image of the very unit it is warping in.

I think this is a step in the right direction, but it isn't consistent. This arguably creates a small balance disparity between the races.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

IskatuMesk wrote: lol @ people claiming to be first

Are they actually going to make anything worthwhile?

No.

Is there any value in claiming to be first?

Not in sc2. The XML files are right there. Anyone can change 'em.

But I expect that if Bluzzard finds out you're gonna get CURBSTOMPT
Didn't some guy make a map hack for beta already?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I've heard that rumor but I don't know if it's real or not.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

It's already cracked vs comp stomp, so I don't see why not.