2010 February 23 - SC2 Beta - Title

Discuss the latest and past MP3's of the Week here.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

2010 February 23 - SC2 Beta - Title

Post by IskatuMesk »

Title: Title
Source: Starcraft 2 Beta (Ripped by IskatuMesk)
Artist: Blizzard Entertainment
Type: Orchestral

This track silently speaks of the flow of sc2's story, I think. Either for the whole series or for Wings of Liberty.

The first quarter speaks of energy and change; the progression from Starcraft 1 to Starcraft 2. It brings us into a grim world, but a world of mystery and power. The new Terran Empire, the reformed Protoss, and the Zerg hiding in the shadows molesting small boys. This uses elements from several of the sc2 music pieces we've heard from various Blizzard videos. I have no doubt that this is a theme directly associated with "Wings of Liberty". It is intended to be powerful for two reasons;

First, to bring the prose of the story into motion - energy and power. This is Starcraft 2 and the first time it's going to be played. It will be showy and bombastic.

To announce the heroism of Raynor and his band of unlikely allies as they challenge the evil tyrant.

After the first quarter the track we enter a slower but still powerful cue. This speaks of changes within the story, possibly between the latter half of Wings of Liberty and whatever the second campaign was (zerg iirc).

This passes the half of the music and this is where I'm sure the Xel`Naga are going to show up with planet busters. The music gets very star warsy and EPIC. I am certain this reflects upon the arrival of the Xel`Naga, our peaceful gods who now want to kill us because we're mistakes blah blah blah artifacts gotta catch 'em all because they are the key to the end of all things blah blah terrible storytelling

Then comes the third quarter which suddenly goes into a mellow, depressing melody and demeanor. I imagine this is going to reflect on some great event post-arrival of the Xel`Naga, probably someone sacrificing themselves for the greater good or someone getting vaped by a death ray.

Then, near the end, the piece picks up again. Either to set up for Starcraft 3, or so set up for the zerg campaign.

so cheesy, but pretty at the same time.
Death_Wing
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Re: 2010 February 23 - SC2 Beta - Title

Post by Death_Wing »

This is just another clear representation of Blizzard taking the best of everything else and *trying* to mix it up in a huge ass pot.

Still, it's not that bad.

But still clearly a lot from Star Wars and others.

The beginning with the SC1 mixed in is classic.
Last edited by Death_Wing on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
What?
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

There's some serious Stargate at about the halfway point. The last quarter basically plays the music from DuGalle's suicide scene verbatim before getting back into the main theme.
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

Blizzard is all about the pop culture references.  I think they get a little carried away some times, but it surprisingly still amuses people.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
tipereth

Post by tipereth »

I'd like to see a subdued piano menu theme in more games. Starcraft isn't really a space opera by any means, but some light music while the Hyperion goes cruising by would be pretty neat.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I'm sorry guys, but I still get goosebumps listening to the Hyperion Overture portion of the title.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Dread
Terran Command Center Custodian
Terran Command Center Custodian

Post by Dread »

I love it all.

All of it, it all. All.

Yup.
- - - Dread
GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

Beautiful, also found a way to save the MP3, go go opera cache!
[imgwh 621x144]http://i.imagehost.org/0709/TuningFail.png[/imgwh]
Death_Wing

Post by Death_Wing »

Safari Activity Window FtW?
What?
Frozty
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Frozty »

I really like this music. It takes my favorite theme from SC1 and adds a nice twist to it!
[imgwh 500x100]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/FrozenTomato/Frozty21.jpg[/imgwh]
Death_Wing

Post by Death_Wing »

8 minute song and he listens to 1 minute of it.. lol

Something that's weirdly bothering me is the fact that I don't remember where I heard it before, it's at about 3:30.
My memory isn't so great when it comes to any kind of music.
Last edited by Death_Wing on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
What?
LuckyFool
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by LuckyFool »

Death_Wing wrote: 8 minute song and he listens to 1 minute of it.. lol

Something that's weirdly bothering me is the fact that I don't remember where I heard it before, it's at about 3:30.
My memory isn't so great when it comes to any kind of music.
About a year ago Blizzard sold a musical album titled: "Echoes of War" which featured an orchestral version of the Hyperion Overture. When I first heard this sc2 track about a week ago I was freaked out that I had head the music before until I realized where I had heard it before was from that Echoes of War album which specifically had some Starcraft 2 music done.
- TheAvenger