So... What's next?

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: So... What's next?

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

In my case, I am planning a Warlords & Merchants ( W&M ) map yet again (like I did for BW and War3). I did manage to see information there and there to have any serious clue to know what to do. I used WorldEdit long enough and I know C (allow to even pre-code triggers right now up to a point).

For those that doesn't know, W&M is basically a map having melee players that can buy from merchant players. The wares usually included just units but I intend to extend it to various kind of additional custom units and technology to be sold. Merchants do compete with each other on having the highest profit score before the game's end.

Unlike BW and War3, I intend to make it so that it can be incorporated easily into melee maps this time. If battle.net is mod-friendly enough in terms of hosting/downloading mods, I will consider strongly to change it into a mod so that it becomes easy to load it as a mod over normal melee then pick any melee map to play it on.

While I did start to code the map a tiny bit in C, it's likely to be more beneficial for now to decide in advance what strings (text) ill use. It doesn't look like it but it can take some time to make up my mind on how to write those various tooltips. Something that can be made in advance with minimal impact if things go a bit south (trigger-wise, since there are too many unknowns about the editor's precise capacities at this point.)

I noticed that the observing's "tabs" (on the top-left when watching a replay) seems to be the new "multiboard" of SC2. I hope in SC2 that it is incorporated into the possible triggers both for the dropdown menu to change "multiboards" AND being able to make icons clickable on them (in terms of being a trigger's event).

It seems possible since when you do hover your mouse over such "multiboard" icon, it shows up a tooltip of the unit. So programming-wise, it's probably a minor detail to add the clicking feature if it detects your mouse's position into the icon.  If it's added, it would nice to use to select a specific merchant's wares via the dropdown menu and then only click on an icon to buy something. Otherwise, I would have to determine what kind of system I would have to fiddle by to allow buying from buildings. So that's essentially the one million question for me right now.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

IskatuMesk wrote: This is totally true x2. In wc3 you could do quite a lot in a map. Sidescrollers, physics systems like what we (barely touched the surface of) used in LoL.
My hopes and dreams of making an Ys clone were dashed when I found that if you run at a sufficiently fast speed (or rather, the speed I wanted everything to move) you can actually run through obstacles.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

My intentions are pretty well known, but just to restate:  I'll be creating a conspiracy series with a unique gameplay system while preserving the core RTS elements.  Character development is my key priority, then gameplay, and finally story.  Right now my long term plans are unknown due to my ever changing life, but I do plan to finish the first year of this series at the very least.  After that, I have to prioritize my life first and my hobby second, so the fate of Celestial Reverie past year one isn't known yet.  I'd already be prioritizing my life goals right now but I thought about this so much during the past 3 years that I just can't let it go without putting out a years worth of content at the very least.  In the worst case scenario, hopefully it will be a shining example to help grow a new community and a new generation of map makers.  In the best case scenario (which I have no idea how to realistically achieve), I already have a full 10 years worth of story for this series worked out.  I -hope- to fulfill the sane rational goal of doing this part time, and for at least 5 years, encompassing the scope of my original vision and the full length of a truly wonderful tale.  The other 5 years worth of content is a second story entirely and would be a massive project.  Obviously I don't expect to do that.  Again, best case scenario.

Celestial Reverie, my baby.  We will see what happens.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I'd love to tell a part of TOA in the form of a campaign. But without custom graphics I can't do that. There's no way to properly convey the world without showing what it looks like. C I could learn if I broke myself against it long enough. Character modeling, animation, uv... never going to happen.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Desler wrote: My intentions are pretty well known, but just to restate:  I'll be creating a conspiracy series with a unique gameplay system while preserving the core RTS elements.  Character development is my key priority, then gameplay, and finally story.  Right now my long term plans are unknown due to my ever changing life, but I do plan to finish the first year of this series at the very least.  After that, I have to prioritize my life first and my hobby second, so the fate of Celestial Reverie past year one isn't known yet.  I'd already be prioritizing my life goals right now but I thought about this so much during the past 3 years that I just can't let it go without putting out a years worth of content at the very least.  In the worst case scenario, hopefully it will be a shining example to help grow a new community and a new generation of map makers.  In the best case scenario (which I have no idea how to realistically achieve), I already have a full 10 years worth of story for this series worked out.  I -hope- to fulfill the sane rational goal of doing this part time, and for at least 5 years, encompassing the scope of my original vision and the full length of a truly wonderful tale.  The other 5 years worth of content is a second story entirely and would be a massive project.  Obviously I don't expect to do that.  Again, best case scenario.

Everytime I see the name of that I am reminded of Celestial Irruption and it's map one. It was pretty nice and eventually involved the entire map. Somehow that is just set in my mind. With the resistance! And the long holdout bit in the upper left, good grief.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

RazorclawX wrote: My hopes and dreams of making an Ys clone were dashed when I found that if you run at a sufficiently fast speed (or rather, the speed I wanted everything to move) you can actually run through obstacles.
You mean by using a triggered movement system, or by somehow bypassing the hard cap on move speed?  ???
LuckyFool
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by LuckyFool »

Maglok wrote:
Desler wrote: My intentions are pretty well known, but just to restate:  I'll be creating a conspiracy series with a unique gameplay system while preserving the core RTS elements.  Character development is my key priority, then gameplay, and finally story.  Right now my long term plans are unknown due to my ever changing life, but I do plan to finish the first year of this series at the very least.  After that, I have to prioritize my life first and my hobby second, so the fate of Celestial Reverie past year one isn't known yet.  I'd already be prioritizing my life goals right now but I thought about this so much during the past 3 years that I just can't let it go without putting out a years worth of content at the very least.  In the worst case scenario, hopefully it will be a shining example to help grow a new community and a new generation of map makers.  In the best case scenario (which I have no idea how to realistically achieve), I already have a full 10 years worth of story for this series worked out.  I -hope- to fulfill the sane rational goal of doing this part time, and for at least 5 years, encompassing the scope of my original vision and the full length of a truly wonderful tale.  The other 5 years worth of content is a second story entirely and would be a massive project.  Obviously I don't expect to do that.  Again, best case scenario.

Everytime I see the name of that I am reminded of Celestial Irruption and it's map one. It was pretty nice and eventually involved the entire map. Somehow that is just set in my mind. With the resistance! And the long holdout bit in the upper left, good grief.
That map was so amazing.

I loved the CI campaign and story SO much. Man I remember eagerly downloading mission 7 from my dial up connection in like 2001, the first 6 CI maps were out for a while but the later few were released later. It took like 3 hours to download a 12 meg map (or whatever it was) and it was so exciting when it finished. Man those were the days haha.
- TheAvenger