Whiplash SC2 Beta Coverage

Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Whiplash SC2 Beta Coverage

Post by Whiplash! »

So ya I just got this and I plan to add actual content after many games.... I've played all races a few times and let other ppl play because I got the key while I was at a lan... thanks lav <3 <3 <3 forever now just get new cc layout done!
Last edited by Lavarinth on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Whiplash SC2 Beta Coverage

Post by Whiplash! »

Ok I've played around 55+ games now and I'm going to throw down some thoughts.

It feels a bit faster then sc2. This takes some adjustments and I think blizzard may want to mess with this a bit as well. Mineral patches should probably be 2000 resources instead of 1500 because they deplete a lot faster then in sc1.

The auto surround is almost too good, I feel like it should receive a slight nerf.

At least half of my games have been with protoss, and I feel they are pretty good. The only complains I have is that high templar/archons are definiately not as useful. They need to be lower in the tech tree or receive some buffs. I'd be happy if psi storm got a range increase and a radius increase or a range and damage increase. Arcons are kinda lol, maybe use em in pvp but why when you can get colossus/immortals. Archons need a buff in the way that ultras got a buff.

Speaking of Colossus, I pretty much use them in every matchup now. They feel like a staple unit in the protoss arsenal. They are what the protoss represent: strong but few units. I'm sure some people think these guys should be nerfed but they are pretty dam expensive and take awhile to get. You won't see a protoss army without more then 5 unless it spills into late game.

I'm least familiar with the air units of each race; they seem to get a bit less use then in sc1 although people are still fumbling around with them. I think that the banshee shouldn't need the fusion core for its upgrades; it simply costs way too much gas to get a few of those with cloak for them to do anything before you get run over.

Mauradurs are pretty dam powerful. They are too much of an "all purpose" unit and will most likely get nerfed in some form in the future (I hope health or damage).

Zerg have some cool stuff, but the infestor is really hurting. This is hands down the worst caster unit in the game. They would be much better off replacing it with the defiler from sc1. I know blizzard isn't done tweaking them.

Hydralisks are another one of those "all purpose" units as well. They got a health and damage buff from sc1 and come with the speed upgrade off the bat. I think they should be specialized to more of an anti air role.

Siege tanks are much rarer now, I think they got nerfed a bit too much.

Thats all I can think off of the top of my head, more to come!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Marauders aren't really all purpose. They are durable but are easily demolished by Immortals, hydras, zerglings, ect. Hydras are much more dangerous. If you see a guy going marauders just throw down a robotics and get some immortals. ez wein
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Ya I have been raping mauradurs recently; theres 2 builds I have done to basically own terran because they will generally always go mauradurs. 1 is they will do a cute early push and I have to defend with about 3 zealots, a sentry, and a stalker. I buy time and eventually get more stalkers. During this time I am making a mothership which i basically rush to get. Once its out its game over and i just go to the enemy base and win. For even quicker ownage use a proxy pylon near his base.

The other build is basically stalker/immortal/colossus. Haven't lost with it yet.

Mauradurs are a lot more manageable for me now, but I agree Hydras are still real fucking powerful and need a more specific role.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

As zerg I just get speedlings. *shrug* always seems to work. Mutas work otherwise.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

I'm going to be streaming my games over at teamliquid.net, the only issue i have atm is getting the sound to work properly (prob will be fixed by messing with my headset) and hope that battle.net doesn't drop me every game due to lag.

The 1 unit I feel is kinda wack right now is mutas, protoss is forced to make both phoenixes and stalkers to counter them efficiently.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

terran have it worse vs muta, especially mass like 30+ muta, shit gets impossible. Once heavy air comes out aka mustache lords u sir r fukt
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Guysssssssss I BEAT DAVID KIM TODAY! It was a long and hard game but in the end I came on top :)

Also I will be streaming my games at random times here: http://tv.zeroboy.net/gaimez

Mutas still imba, but even more then mutas DISCONNECTS are the most imbalanced unit in the game. Worse then the power outage.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

replay?

/e lol

David Kim really failed hard that game, sticking to roaches after immortals showed up. Suicide. Should have gone ling/hydra and not roach/hydra, he gas locked himself numerous times and got rolled after he lost his first army.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

What I'm wondering is if there's any way to be sure that's actually David Kim and not someone who thought it'd be lolzy to use the same character name. After all, we know how great Blizzard's CID.ID naming scheme is.
Death_Wing
Terran Starport Baggage Handler
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by Death_Wing »

That CID.ID is something I am not looking forward to. It will ruin everything. I liked it better when I knew, just by looking at the name, that they were *the ass* *the cool guy* *Mr. positive* *Mr. negative* .. this list can go on and on...

I'm pretty sure we are all unhappy about it, but this is just an example of what might happen...
What?
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

I don't have any problems with it, when you think about it theres always gonna be some idiot doing that stuff regardless of how it works.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I started changing my Protoss gameplay after watching several videos. Obviously they don't all work in a 2v2 environment (I did get air dropped in my base for one) and I usually don't have enough gas to spare for Sentries, but I am getting used to the idea of warp gates being far more useful than gateways.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Scout. Often. If you see a lair, expect either hydras or mutas. But you should be going fast robo against zerg anyways unless you see them spamming roaches from 1 base, then void ray rush will generally 1shot them. Otherwise early immortals will kill roaches and marauders as well as stalker spam.

As for air, protoss options are limit vs z. You'll need phoenixes and stalkers, preferably with blink. Vs other void rays (aka what I did to you), stalkers are generally sufficient.

Terran seem to like banshee rushing these days especially since their buildings are faster and cloaking doesn't need a core anymore. Early robo with an observer will tell if that's what they're doing, then grab stalkers and more obs for detection and transition as you like.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

T_T is the stream laggy for anyone else? Prolly just me right?