So... What's next?

Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

So... What's next?

Post by Legion »

So Starcraft II BETA has hit. So people are testing it out. So people are having a blast.

All very cool, but does this mean Starcraft 2 is getting closer? 'Cause if it is, then I'm sure some of you have got some really cool custom content (eg. campaigns) planned! I know that like Maglok said people are gonna have to get used to a whole new editor and all, but I also know that doesn't stop the true creative brains of these parts! Of course even they are nowhere near to having a rock solid plan of action, but there must be SOMETHING, right?

So what I'm asking is, are you working on anything that you'll eventually create for Starcraft 2? Care to share some details?

Later.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: So... What's next?

Post by Hercanic »

I positively cannot wait for the editor. SC2 is fun, but the editor will likely consume far more of my time in the long run. At least, so long as it lives up to the hype. I have a number of ideas and designs for mods I will be trying out.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Mesk posted some code snippets he claimed (I dunno for myself) were kind of the new JASS, and it looked sort of C, C#, C++ like. That does make it tricky. Of course you have a lot of 'just click' trigger work, but exotic = programming.

Are you planning anything Legion?
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Maglok wrote: Mesk posted some code snippets he claimed (I dunno for myself) were kind of the new JASS, and it looked sort of C, C#, C++ like. That does make it tricky. Of course you have a lot of 'just click' trigger work, but exotic = programming.

Are you planning anything Legion?
Whoa. I'm no programmer. I dispise computers and their language.

I've got some ideas, of course, but I lose interest in these things very easily. I guess it all depends on how long it takes till SC2.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Well I am sure the GUI part of Galaxy is gonna allow you to do a LOT regardless. I've been shaping scripts for years now. I am getting ready for this sh*t! Hoo-ah!
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Meta »

If the editor is C-only, I'll be extremely disappointed and won't actually make anything at all. I'm also turned down by anything related to programming.

However, I believe the editor will be somewhat simple to use - as long as Staredit or Worldedit can be called "easy". The sheer number of possibilities, condition, actions and events is what may overwhelm us in the beginning.

The terraining, too: never underestimate terrain work for a 3D game. :)

Ah, also:
Am I planning something? Yes.
In detail, with scripts and all that? Yes.
Can I reveal anything? No.  :D
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

got a few rough ideas atm but I guess I should start fleshing them out a bit more now :D
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

I would say that I'm planning to plan something.  I've got a couple ideas I'm kicking around, but I want to get a feel for the gameplay, storyline and the editor itself before I get too far into the planning stages.  That said, the one thing I do know is that I plan to keep my first campaign simple and then start to get more ambitious after that.
SaintKerrigan
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by SaintKerrigan »

I have a campaign idea that I've been kicking around forever (and even started working on for SC1) that I might work with in SC2. Have the basic storyline plotted out (but not the script), so as long as I can figure out 3D and the editor I should be good.
Tremble before my wrath!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Okay let me clarify some shit especially for Meta.

The editor will have triggers, just like wc3. I don't know how they will look, but they'll be there. Stop freaking out.

Maglok > Yes, it's C. The code is called Galaxy, it's the sc2 equivalent for JASS.

The GUI seems to be both Galaxy and XML files. It uses both flash files (.gfx is flash with some hex modification) and pngs it seems. If you know what you're doing with flash and coding I imagine you can do some cool shit. For people like me though that stuff is untouchable.

AI core files are all in Galaxy. I definitely won't be making an AI mod. Too complex for me. That rules out any sc2 project for me at all.

I don't think I'll be buying sc2 at all. I can't mod it, so why bother? But I'll cover the editor to the best extent I can when it shows up in the beta for you guys.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Mesk will buy the game, don't worry guys.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

IskatuMesk wrote:waaaa waaaa i don't want to learn a simple bit of programming
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I know the War3 editor better than most of you. You can already do a lot of crazy shit with it (turning it into a top-down shooter, though, was out of the question; it really couldn't handle that, to my disappointment). If the SC2 editor is twice as good then that's great and all, but if you couldn't figure out how War3's editor worked you've got a tough road ahead of you.

And for the record, I never touched the AI editor in War3. Not only did I have a much easier time doing it in plain code, the AI editor sucked like all hell.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Death_Wing
Terran Starport Baggage Handler
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by Death_Wing »

^ I never could learn the WC3 editor because when I was 8 I put my CD in (which was stupid cause there was a crack but I was incredibly excited to show my dad how ""well"" I played and forgot.) and I put it in wrong, you're probably asking: "Omg Wtf!? HOW THE HELL DID YOU MANAGE THAT!?" I'm a clever-idiot, a negative+ a positive=A NEGATIVE! Simple math. I through out into a temper-tantrum and deleted EVERYTHING I had of WC3... I miss those awesome custom maps. They were so cool...

Now I can never find the guts/money/time/persuasion to get my dad and I to go buy it again (wow R100 = ~$15 that's practically nothing for the amount of joy it could bring...)
Whiplash! wrote: Mesk will buy the game, don't worry guys.
Lol, you all know Mesk about 40x better than me... and yet I still picked that up. Ha.
Last edited by Death_Wing on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

RazorclawX wrote: I know the War3 editor better than most of you. You can already do a lot of crazy shit with it (turning it into a top-down shooter, though, was out of the question; it really couldn't handle that, to my disappointment). If the SC2 editor is twice as good then that's great and all, but if you couldn't figure out how War3's editor worked you've got a tough road ahead of you.

And for the record, I never touched the AI editor in War3. Not only did I have a much easier time doing it in plain code, the AI editor sucked like all hell.
This is totally true x2. In wc3 you could do quite a lot in a map. Sidescrollers, physics systems like what we (barely touched the surface of) used in LoL.

And the AI editor in wc3 was practically unusable.
Taeralisk wrote:
IskatuMesk wrote:waaaa waaaa i don't want to learn a simple bit of programming
yeah because I've been able to learn how to uv and animation after 9 years of using 3ds max so I can just pick up C right now and pick apart the most complicated RTS AI ever made and call it a day