System Requirments?

Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

System Requirments?

Post by Cliff747 »

OK  I'm excited. It may be more than this 68 year old heart can stand.
But I'm worried too. I don't understand all the tech stuff.
I upgraded to a dual core system and Windows 7 but is that enough.
They say you need a certain video card or better but never talk about the on-board video that comes with the motherboard.
I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 on-board video card.
How does that stack up to a  NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card?
Am I good to go or do I need to buy a video card?
I will never play on line cause I'm too old but will I be able to play the single player campaigns?
Last edited by Hercanic on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Re: System Requirments

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

It certainly goes above GF 2, I am not really sure but it should be better than all the FX cards, and it might possibly run the game on the lowest of settings.
[imgwh 621x144]http://i.imagehost.org/0709/TuningFail.png[/imgwh]
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Cliff747 wrote: I will never play on line cause I'm too old but will I be able to play the single player campaigns?
If you're young enough to sit through some dramatized sci-fi bullshit story, then you're definitely young enough to beat the crap out of a bunch of sad losers online.

Err... what I meant to say was: There's an age limit?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Cliff747 wrote: OK  I'm excited. It may be more than this 68 year old heart can stand.
But I'm worried too. I don't understand all the tech stuff.
I upgraded to a dual core system and Windows 7 but is that enough.
They say you need a certain video card or better but never talk about the on-board video that comes with the motherboard.
I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 on-board video card.
How does that stack up to a  NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card?
Am I good to go or do I need to buy a video card?
I will never play on line cause I'm too old but will I be able to play the single player campaigns?
I suggest you just try it out as is for now. If anything, you can get a good card that's out now cheap in the 6 months to a year that the beta'll be running. And you never have to buy top of the line, though it just prolongs your card. My 9800GTX has lasted me since release and still can max out nearly any game without issue.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Frozty
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Frozty »

The real question is how much video memory does that card have?  I would think anything less than about 512 MB could prove deadly at higher levels, especially in this game.
[imgwh 500x100]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/FrozenTomato/Frozty21.jpg[/imgwh]
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Do not even attempt to run any semi-recent game on built-in video. Not even on lowest settings. The reason people don't talk about it is because it's a given that no one's going to try that. They're awful. They are not comparable to video cards of the same number and quality.

Since the are a part of the motherboard they are a bottleneck. They put strain on the cpu, and they don't have all of the features of the video card itself.

Getting even a fairly cheap video card, like an 8800T or a 5500 or something like that will go a long way in preparation for sc2.

Dual core should be great - SC2 is not properly multithreaded and only supports 2 cores anyways. Bad Blizzard! BAD BAD BAD BAD BADS

As for SP, I expect it to be more demanding than most online matches because online matches tend to be quick and small with few units.
GreatGodSajuuk

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

Damn, I thought that the integrated card being an actual GeForce 6 instead of intel graphics deccelerator would make more of a real videocard. If that WAS true then he should be able to play at like 800x600 with all settings on the lowest IMO.

Now I looked at this http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/low_end_gpus.html and ye.... it sits in the bunch that score 51, it's LOWER thatn FX 5500 and FX 5500 is an UTTERLY HORRIBLE card that often has lower performance than Geforce 2 MX400, you should definitely look for some new card. If you are stuck with AGP you can still grab HD 4650 or HD 3850(3850 is the faster of the two) And those should guarantee decent performance in Starcraft 2 for sure.
[imgwh 621x144]http://i.imagehost.org/0709/TuningFail.png[/imgwh]
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

I can play at medium-high settings with no stuttering on my POS Toshiba Satellite laptop.
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

Thanks guys,
I bought a video card for my old computer but I don't know what it is.
The guy at Best Buy said this will work so I bought it.
I guess I'll have to crack open the old machine and see what it is.
It's only two years old so I think it will work.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

>.> DAO is an exception to the on board video card rule I believe as far as recent games are concerned. After all, I played it.