Diablo the Movie has been announced!

A collection of past threads worth keeping for the community to read.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Diablo the Movie has been announced!

Post by RazorclawX »

Warcraft Lore is being dictated by the game content and not the other way around. This only became readily apparent after the Expansion was released, when a whole mess of things were twisted around to suit the purposes of a game.

The big stinker is the Draenei. I think I liked them better when they weren't uncorrupted Eredar (or Space Paladins, for that matter). Them and the Naaru with their stupid angel motiff as the prime servants of the Light and such. And how they're now Night Elf clones in that a whole mess of things are corrupted Draenei now: Eredar, Broken, Lost Ones. So far they haven't come up with anything as bestial as a Night Elf doing a stag-person, but you never know.

I bet this is why, consequently, they haven't figured out what to do with the half-orc, Garona. They retconned so much stuff that her backstory doesn't make much sense anymore.

It's common to hear people complain about this, but here goes: in the Caverns of Time instances there's a renegade time-travel faction called the Infinite Dragonflight who seems to be altering history for some unspecified reason; you thwart two of their attempts at devestating the efforts of the Horde, and then the raid instance Battle of Mt. Hyjal is there. All these CoT quests have this buildup about how the Infinite Dragonflight is up to something at Hyjal, but when a raid finally went in there and conquered the place, the Infinite Dragonflight was nowhere to be found. You kill Archimonde and loot him just like every other raid boss. And there's pretty much no evidence that anyone tampered with the Battle.

I long suspected that it was perhaps Archimonde that was beind the Infinite Dragonflight (which could've made a ton of sense, all things considering, as it could've been a consequence of having the tree blown up on him or something), but even that didn't turn out to be true.

Ultimately, though, I have issue with the fact that the bad guys don't ever seem to catch a break. I shudder to think of the day when they make the Lich King a raid boss.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Basically, WoW is everquest.

D2 used to be decent, but when they added in runewords, everything went steadily downhill. Ebotd and Enigma are the primary offenders, but I know they added even more stupid shit in the later patches.

Enigma basically opened up a huge plethora of incredibly ridiculous PvP builds that relied soley on Enigma armor that had low STR reqs because the runeword introduced an absolutely insane amount of strength. It also gave the teleport ability. Other runewords, like Exile, on specific items opened up an absolutely insane issue with the defense/attack rating system in d2. Basically, my barbarian, decked out in the  best unique items in the game, could swing at a barbarian with Enigma and other such items for hours and never actually hit him. And, when I did manage to hit him, I barely scratched him. On the other hand, he could 1shot me any time he pleased. There were also sorceress' using some runewords to morph into bears that could 1shot you in melee. Now, let's not even touch Paladins, with their 40k+ armor thanks to Exile and other stupid shit.

The runes required for these runewords had such a stupidly low droprate that you were pretty much forced to bot. As an example...

Pre-1.10, I did a lot of Magic Finding runs on my amazon. I farmed Meph, Baal, the whole works. I got shit out of like 2 years of playing. Then, one day, someone hooked me up with a bot program. In a single night, about 8 hours, the bot ran pindleskin about 1,200 times and had its inventory/stash completely filled with high-level uniques and some pretty decent runes.

WoW is pretty much heading the same way in terms of PvP. It used to be fairly balanced, but the mechanics of the game have been "overgrown" to the point of becoming extremely idiotic. There is no turning back after Burning Crusade. The pvp game is completely ruined.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

And "new" Blizzard is due to the fact Blizzard North, creators of the Diablo series, no longer exists.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Ugh, I sure hope they don't mess up the Starcraft lore too.

As for a Starcraft movie, it's probably best to see if they do Diablo justice first. We certainly wouldn't want a Starcraft movie to be an embarassment (though that still wouldn't be as bad as making the actual sequel an embarassment).
Zilla-
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Zilla- »

Xenon wrote: Ugh, I sure hope they don't mess up the Starcraft lore too.
I remember reading some of the starcraft books that came out and although I don't have any specific examples off the top of my head I remember there were inconsistencies
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Did someone say earlier WoW will be an animated movie? And that Legendary Pictures would make Diablo live action because of their reputation? But... isn't the WoW movie also from Legendary pictures?
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Meta »

At least the Diablo lore is still interesting, while the Warcraft lore has become quite a mess.

I second RCX's thoughts on the following:
- the Council members in Travincal are IMO the toughest bosses in the game. Having played most caster and melee builds in the game, I still think they're the most challenging enemies in the game. The fight against the Council pack near Mephisto is brutal as well. The 3 Ancients at the Arreat Summit and the minibosses Baal sends before you fight him tend to be much tougher than the Act bosses as well.
- the Baal army intro movie is also fantastic and IMO the best in the game.

Mesk is right in the sense that Runewords ruined the game, especially Enigma. EbotD is also responsible for that, although nowadays people use even more imbalanced Runewords such as Infinity(merc weapon that gives him a Conviction aura), Grief(highest damage in the game), Fortitude(armor runeword that gives you Chilling Armor and 300% extra damage) Doom, Eth Death and so on. There's no way a legit player can compete with these, since Leviathan, Schaefer's Hammer, Stormlash, Azurewrath etc are just underpowered if compared to most of them.  ::)

Two of my D2 friends used bots to find items. In a week they found more than I did in 3 months. That, and running the same bosses over and over again is extremely repetitive and pointless. The mass duping of high runes is also ridiculous, a few months ago when I still played, I traded a Harlequim Crest Shako for 2 high runs. Therefore shako = Enigma in cost. WTF?

However, playing Single Player or multiplayer in a closed group, with no items, can be rewarding, but you'll have to choose powerful builds such as Hammerdin, Summoner Necro, Elemental Druid or something to survive in Hell. :)
Fatburger666
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Fatburger666 »

I used to play D2 alot, but it became to unbalanced like everyone said, Enigma was ridiculos, the Ladder runewords were absurd, so then I quit. IMO the toughest fights in D2 was when you had to go into Diablo's Sanctuary with a melee char. Iron maiden sucked ><.
http://up.kupatrix.com/f/65/Fatburger666%20copy.jpg

God I'm fat, just shoot me.
Marine

Post by Marine »

I still will sorta play Diablo 2 from time to time because playing multiplayer can be fun. But the main game so far that has stayed REALLY good and not sorta messed up like with the whole "Space Paladins" of the Draenei which I didnt like that idea ever but the game is WarCraft 2 really.
I cant remember how did Blizzard North get shutdown?
I dont mind the Draenei and the whole "servants of the Light" little thing it was just mainly the Exodar and the space travel.
Also though when they add the Lich King in a later expansion because Blizzard stated it can only be a 40 man raid team that all have to be lvl 80 to defeat him. Of course you never kill any of these bosses (I dont know about Illidan though) because you'd have to destroy Kel'Thuzad's phlycaretary or how ever you spell it and you dont instead give it to the Lights Hope Chapel but they never get it. Along with the fact its strange once you kill a boss like Illidan or Kel'Thuzad but they just reappear a couple minutes later.
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
Fatburger666

Post by Fatburger666 »

WoW is a complete waste of time, to play 15$ a month for a knockoff of everquest when you can play other games on battle.net for free is ridiculous.

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Fortitude(armor runeword that gives you Chilling Armor and 300% extra damage)

And here I thought it couldn't get any worse.
wibod

Post by wibod »

Fatburger666 wrote: WoW is a complete waste of time, to play 15$ a month for a knockoff of everquest when you can play other games on battle.net for free is ridiculous.
WoW's more then an EQ knockoff. Before the expansion it was a really good MMO simply because of how easy it was so get into it, whereas in EQ it takes forever to get anything done. Actually WoW and EQ have very little in common.
Fatburger666

Post by Fatburger666 »

It really doesn't matter to me, any game that gonna cost me $15 a month isnt worth it.

Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

I quit diablo 2 it was because of a scam to steal my sorceror's item set. It was the best sorc armor set of the time, i think it was pre 1.10
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fatburger666

Post by Fatburger666 »

Doctor Doack wrote:
Fortitude(armor runeword that gives you Chilling Armor and 300% extra damage)

And here I thought it couldn't get any worse.
It gets even more worse, Runeword Dream 10% Chance To Cast Level 15 Confuse When Struck
Level 15 Holy Shock Aura When Equipped
+20-30% Faster Hit Recovery (varies)
+30% Enhanced Defense
+150-220 Defense (varies)
+10 To Vitality
Increase Maximum Life 5% (Helms Only)
+50 To Life (Shields Only)
+0.625-61.875 To Mana (Based On Character Level)
All Resistances +5-20 (varies)
12-25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (varies