Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Created by RazorclawX, Wanderers of Sorceria tells an epic length story through multiple chapters and books for WarCraft III.

Moderator: RazorclawX

Daetor
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Re: Wanderers of Sorceria Dedicated Update Thread

Post by Daetor »

So... I registered on this forum just to leave a comment on the whole WoS  series after finishing all the "books".

First of all I'll say that the first thing I did after finishing them was to open some of them with the editor and start exporting music. Aside from one song (book 5 chapter 1 and 2), I pretty much liked how everything held up together. As the campaign progresses it's pretty obvious how you improved over the years (and for now I'm talking just about the music, because in book 6 it was damn obvious and the selection there was the best at least in my opinion).

The overall story was very good, it was quite amusing how you even made a few connections to the original Blizzard story (the whole nerbubian and Burning Legion thing, which was quite creative if you ask me). I don't really care if certain concepts or character patterns etc were taken from other games/anime/manga/etc because the overall mix seems quite original.

The characters themselves were quite well rounded (so well rounded that I'm thinking that their story would be better told in actual written text, I think the overall story could make a relatively enjoyable novel) and everyone has some story or another. I really doubt I can say anything that hasn't been said before, so I'll skip the useless praises which you've probably heard many times before... I sincerely doubt I'm going to be the last to say that this campaign was pure genius.

However I will be making a few comments specifically on book 6.

Firstly, there's a small bug with the transfer between maps, in the sense that you can got the a district to which you were before. I went with Hikaru to the east district twice and I managed to get 2 holy swords... which sort of made the whole nova effect happen very frequently which meant that regular enemies died pretty quickly and bosses to die fairly easily. I haven't tried to see if this can apply to Shizuka or Kurumi, but I'm assuming that you can. I think it's needless to say that if you get more than one of those spikes for Shizuka the overall extra damage and life steal would make her waay too imbalanced.

The fight against lord Shivak can be ridiculously simple if you back him into a corner, seriously, if you do that he dies quite easily...

The most annoying fight is that between Kurumi and Rhea, if for whatever reason you're in the center of the arena when Rhea is very low on health and 6 of those shock waves come in, you'll avoid only half no matter what which means you're instantly killed because you have no real means to buff up her health. Also, taunt doesn't seem to work on bosses at all for some reason.

That spike weapon thing makes Shizuka may be a bit too powerful, once I had it basically no boss could stop me (the only annoying one was Kevin with the mirror images and that damn owl that kept burning me, but aside from that there were no problems). The only thing that balances out the fight against Razlia is the whole silence spell he has otherwise you constantly spam the ulti as soon as the cooldown is off and face him head on with no fear whatsoever in the first part of the fight. The second part of the fight tends to take a lot while being seriously boring. (Personally I just hid in the wagons and came out only to death spiral him and land a couple of hits with the ulti, took a while to beat him but no challenge)

Darm vs Hikaru on normal at least is very easy, you just manaburn him to death and hit him with a couple of ultimates and uses of the soul-power and he's dead. though in my case it may have seemed easier due to the fact that I had two of those swords...

Also, regarding chain manaburn, if you hit only one target, it hits said target more than once even if it doesn't have anything to bounce off and that makes it pretty powerful vs bosses because it usually hits them up to 4 times and that can amount to around 800 damage in one go and occasionally stun.

The only real complaint would be regarding the fact that no matter what you do the map doesn't changes much between the three. I mean I can understand it in the east district where the invaders would come back pretty soon (even though I completely decimated all three bases with Hikaru and Kurumi on my first go through the place). In the south district at least the Burning Legion should be taken out if you manage to destroy them with Hikaru and Zule. (it's REALLY hard to do, but it's possible on normal, you just have to place those spheres right and make sure to decimate that damn doom-walker whenever it shows up and Hikaru's ulti helps a lot in that area). Also, I somehow doubt that the murguls would recover quickly if you completely decimate all of their bases with the murloc forces + Hikaru and Six, yet they're still there even when Shizuka shows up, which doesn't make much sense since I doubt that much time would pass otherwise she wouldn't catch up with him period.

Also, I'm assuming that it's not normal for Scaldar to start out with 3 fragments right? It kind of gives him around 1800 hp, a lot of mana and makes him very overpowered... (then again, I suppose if he's supposed to be a demigod, it works).

Still, overall, it was good and I had fun playing the whole thing, loved that "Dragon King" title that it gave me at the end.

So, the only thing left to say is that I hope you'll make a sequel one day (perhaps when/if WarCraft 4 shows up).
Traveling between worlds can be confusing... At least we defy the laws of reality, otherwise it would be worse... Imagine landing in a universe which is made of anti-mater while you're still respecting the laws of this reality... Now if only I had time to stay and look around doing nothing...
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Funny, I thought someone would bring up the state of the districts eventually. I have an outline of which district a character is in at any one time while another character is in another district. It was kind of rough as it didn't entirely make sense, but the gist of it was all three characters were running around in the city at the same time, with some characters obviously being there first (usually Hikaru).
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Rui
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Post by Rui »

I never tried going in a district a second time. I assumed you'd just get to wander around since the mission is complete. Besides, the loading time is considerable, and I didn't want to take the chance.
There is an annoying thing about the districts: you always have to set the difficulty level in the campaign screen, otherwise it reverses to Normal upon entering a district.

Anyway, have you tried using Hikaru's Rain of Blades on a district entrance?^^
Daetor

Post by Daetor »

No, but I did send 12 of those blade barriers Kurumi makes (that reset cooldown skill allows you to have more than 3 at a time if you want too) in one and managed to get a dialog box with 12 sets of yes and no... Still that's a minor bug that doesn't matter and anyway it can probably be fixed with changing from "when a unit enters area" to "when hero enters area" since no matter what you'll have only one hero in the nexus.

Oh and I'm not sure if it's just me but if you try that cosplay costume on Shizuka the game crashes. (I wanted to try out all the costumes for lols)
Traveling between worlds can be confusing... At least we defy the laws of reality, otherwise it would be worse... Imagine landing in a universe which is made of anti-mater while you're still respecting the laws of this reality... Now if only I had time to stay and look around doing nothing...
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Rui wrote: There is an annoying thing about the districts: you always have to set the difficulty level in the campaign screen, otherwise it reverses to Normal upon entering a district.
You actually don't have to. The game remembers what your Difficulty setting is as long as you don't exit the campaign menu screen (and THEN it resets it).
-- Razorclaw X
TheNewHorde
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by TheNewHorde »

i played all the campaigns.

question is, i noticed the bonus stuff on replay for book 1.  i haven't got through yet, i assume replay bonus stuff exist for book 1 and 2.  therefore we have the new game plus.

what about book 3?  and those above 3
Davzz

Post by Davzz »

Book 1 -> Book 2 - carries over heroes directly

New game plus for Book 2 -> Book 1. The later books have flags that unlock new classes in 1/2

Book 2 -> Book 3 - Heroes don't carry over directly due to new classes but certain flags will grant you certain items, such as the Dragon Horn or Kitty Band.

Book 3 -> Book 4 -> Book 5 - Direct carry over. Also the new game plus order for Book 3.

Book 6 - Seems like every item from Book 3 to 5 that you have collected on your heroes will be available. However some like pendant of healths will be removed for being overpowered. Otherwise it's pretty standalone if I'm not wrong
muaddib
Terran Starport Baggage Handler
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by muaddib »

dear rcx,
i downloaded the updated versions of books 1-4, and i enjoy the modifications scaldar , shizu and ziel have .
so far im in book 1, but it sure is fun nevertheless to start again from the first book to the last. ^^
Blake
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by Blake »

I was just replaying book 2 when I noticed Prime Minister Kosseimaru stated "Shion, Kanna, and I had to find these powerful weapons.  We found these weapons thanks to Shizuka, but another cache must be discovered.  Our destination should yield such weaponry." I don't recall this being mentioned anywhere else...

So does this mean that purgatory would creates "holy weapons" from time to time and put them in various locations for whatever reason?
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Blake wrote: So does this mean that purgatory would creates "holy weapons" from time to time and put them in various locations for whatever reason?
Purgatory doesn't create the weapons; the weapons are usually artifacts that someone left behind.
-- Razorclaw X
Blake

Post by Blake »

RazorclawX wrote:
Blake wrote: So does this mean that purgatory would creates "holy weapons" from time to time and put them in various locations for whatever reason?
Purgatory doesn't create the weapons; the weapons are usually artifacts that someone left behind.
Oh...I just thought it made more sense that purgatory (or the lord of sorceria at the time) put weapons in certain locations, I mean what are the chances of finding 4 divine weapons in one room.....

....It would make sense that purgatory would place the weapons there so Hikaru and everyone would become too preoccupied with trying to defeat Arcadia with the weapons, and therefore be too preoccupied to attempt to come to Sorceria...
Rui

Post by Rui »

Purgatory could do that, but I doubt its Lord would, at least not if the Wanderer has to defeat him in order to keep the cycle flowing. In Wanderers of Sorceria storyline, the Lord wanted the Wanderers to show up so (s)he could use them, if I got it correctly.
Blake

Post by Blake »

So what's the whole story behind Nara? As far as I understand she is a shadow weaver who was bend on stopping Hokuto's meddling in human affairs and than all of a sudden she wanted to take over kurumi's life.....
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Nara is the shadow weaver in charge of Purgatory and she wants Hokuto to stop messing with her dominion. She can't directly act against Hokuto much in the same way Hokuto can't act against her (their non-interference rule), so they have to deal with each other through intermediaries. Hokuto uses Shizuka for that purpose, so Nara was trying to find someone to do much the same for herself-- the Dragon Slayers, which were formed for a similar purpose. She later found out if she usurps another person's soul she can hurt everyone directly as a sort of loophole to their non-interference rule (because technically she isn't the one doing it), so Nara went to look for the strongest person she could find that she could bend to her will. Following that, however, Nara found out that Kurumi is a lot stronger than she initially appeared.
-- Razorclaw X
TheNewHorde
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by TheNewHorde »

so technically is this project finished or somewhat still ongoing?