Campaign Creations StarCraft Campaign Contest Details

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: Campaign Creations StarCraft Campaign Contest Details

Post by Lavarinth »

Dem0nS1ayer wrote: To the judges:  Would you prefer if we used comments on our triggers, or would you prefer if we did not?
We will likely not open the map, only play it.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

:o  How do you catch for trigger complexity and all that?
Starcraft - Rise From The Ashes
index.php?topic=1678.0
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

By playing the map. Functionality > flashiness. I hope.
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

Krazy wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:
We will likely not open the map, only play it.

If there are sections that can't be beaten by cheats alone, do you want us to add in optional 'skip this part' type deals so you can get past it?
did u honestly make a part where it cant be beaten by cheats? is that even possible? nothing beats power overwhelming! did u mean "by skill alone"?
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Just.. Make your campaign, Krazy. Don't consider adjusting your project.
- - Lavarinth
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Dem0nS1ayer wrote: To the judges:  Would you prefer if we used comments on our triggers, or would you prefer if we did not?
In my case, I am likely to open the maps to check the relative triggers and such.

However, comments will probably count less since story, gameplay, terrain and trigger functionality would be much more important than comments. If you want to be sure, just comment the special triggers and mini-game triggers when everything more important is done.
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

The overall project must involve sometime directly related to an occurance within the four years, and may, if you wish, be established by using the Brood War timeline, and may, if you wish, be concluded using the StarCraft II timeline
This may have already been covered, but what exactly do you mean by this? Is that "sometime" supposed to be "something"? If not, then could you please clarify what you mean?
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

thebrowncloud wrote:
The overall project must involve sometime directly related to an occurance within the four years, and may, if you wish, be established by using the Brood War timeline, and may, if you wish, be concluded using the StarCraft II timeline
This may have already been covered, but what exactly do you mean by this? Is that "sometime" supposed to be "something"? If not, then could you please clarify what you mean?
Could be "some time", although I don't really see how you can involve a time. I think it's safe to assume it's supposed to be "something".

Is it really not clear to you what it means? I have no exceptional reading skills, but I kind of figured it means that your work has to have at least some connection to Starcraft and it has to take place in the 4 year gap. You're free to start at the end of Brood War and/or finish at the beginning of Starcraft 2.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

What he said.
- - Lavarinth
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

12 days left eh?  Assuming all my recordings were good both in sound quality and acting quality, I could actually have this done today.  And that's actually counting the fact that I'm going to be busy at least half the day.  Two of my roommates are leaving the house today.  We'll see though.  When I first started this contest, it was the only thing on my mind.  Now, nothing is certain.

I may release it early if I do get it done shortly.  That's allowed right?
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Desler wrote: I may release it early if I do get it done shortly.  That's allowed right?
Yes, it's perfectly fine and personally I would recommend everyone to submit at least 1 or 2 days early just in case last minute personal issues arrive and cause you to go over the deadline by accident.

Although in terms of reviewing it, I presume it will only start on August 1st but I am not sure.

It would be up to Lavarinth to decide if reviewing is allowed before the deadline for projects submitted in advance while ultimately barring them from submitting a update even if it's before the deadline.

Although I presume waiting until August 1st would be better in case people want to upload a updated version before the deadline.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Start reviewing after the deadline in case any alterations are required beforehand.

The upcoming delayed podcast dictates who will be reviewing, however, due to a relapse on strep throat I became very ill and haven't have a chance to release it for the past two weeks alongside the recent visit to Blizzard article.

So, to enlighten everyone now:

The judges will be myself, Ricky, and Dread.

I will be the overall final judge of each project and my vote is the final vote. I will rate each category myself, however the inputs of Ricky and Dread will be a great influence as well.

Although they will also rate all categories, the primary focus of both will vary. Ricky will focus primary on mechanics, that is triggers and aesthetics, such as terrain and doodads. Dread will focus on lore and dialogue/characters, making sure things fall into the StarCraft storyline.
- - Lavarinth
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

It's possible for a half-finished campaign to participate in the contest (I mean, to release 2/3 of the campaign as the final product)?

Just to know. :p
Last edited by omega20 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

omega20 wrote: It's possible for a half-finished campaign to participate in the contest (I mean, to release 2/3 of the campaign as the final product)?

Just to know. :p
Yes although it's pretty much certain you won't be a winner for the cd-keys. But quite frankly, better off showing your incomplete work instead of it going to waste.

Although what you CAN do to greatly minimize the fall is to fix your campaign so that it got the less gasps possible for missing maps/story or to quickly summarize what's missing when it should fit.

For example, if you did map #1 and map #3 but didn't made map #2 thus you can made a quick map #2 with some cinematics with the minimal required story (although preferably enough so that it doesn't feel too rushed) instead of your full-blown projected map.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: Although what you CAN do to greatly minimize the fall is to fix your campaign so that it got the less gasps possible for missing maps/story or to quickly summarize what's missing when it should fit.

For example, if you did map #1 and map #3 but didn't made map #2 thus you can made a quick map #2 with some cinematics with the minimal required story (although preferably enough so that it doesn't feel too rushed) instead of your full-blown projected map.
And what happens if my full-blown projected map isn't a single map, but an entire campaign of 10 maps? :P

EDIT: Problem Solved
Last edited by omega20 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]