(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Rise From The Ashes -- COMPLETE

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Rise From The Ashes
Name: Dem0nS1ayer

Description: Rise From The Ashes is a 3-episode campaign that will go through the 4 years between Brood War and Starcraft 2.  The first campaign will be called Raynor's Raiders (so creative, right? ::)), in which the player will play to accomplish one goal: to overthrow Mengsk and his dominion.  The second episode, Aiur's Rebirth, will be a Protoss campaign in which the player tries to reclaim Aiur by unlocking a forgotten power.  The third and final episode is called Tyranny's Rule, which is a Terran campaign from the Dominion's point of view.  The player will serve under Mengsk and throw the Protoss back into the shadows and make Raynor the washed-up hero that he is appeared to be at the start of Stacraft 2.

The Characters:

Jim Raynor - Once a Marshall for the Terran Confederacy, he soon left and joined Arcturus Mengsk's The Sons of Korhal. Raynor soon saw the true face of Mengsk, though, after he betrayed his lieutenant, Sarah Kerrigan.  He left Mengsk and went on to form his own militia.  Raynor now commands a small rebel force and is determined to overthrow Mengsk, no matter the cost.

Felix Jenson - Felix is the commander of another rebel group, called The Renegades.  His men are expert fighters, therefore being more valuable than normal units.  Recruited by Raynor, Felix is confident that they can overthrow the Dominion.

Luther Maxwell - Captain Luther Maxwell was once one of Gerard DuGalle's most trusted Lieutenants.  When the UED's main fleet flew to confront Kerrigan, he was ordered to stay behind and maintain a colony on Braxis.  His colony is believed to have the last remaining UED army in the sector.

Arnold Tarasov - General Arnold Tarasov was recently recruited by Artcurus Mengsk.  He is Duke's replacement, but one would not notice a difference between them.  Like Duke, Tarasov is hard-headed and has had years of experience out on the battle field.

Shirok - Born even before Raszagal, Shirok vividly remembers the Aeon of Strife and how Adun helped the Dark Templar.  After disappearing for over a millennium, Shirok, believed to be the oldest living Dark Templar, is still angered by the Khalai's decision to ban his brethren from Aiur.  He is disgusted by the Khalai's weak attempt to hold off the Zerg, and he believes that a hidden power, located in the jungles of Aiur, is the key to rid the planet of its infestation and bring the Protoss back to their once great sanctuary.

Artanis - Recently appointed Praetor, Artanis is a young, bold warrior who fights to protect his race.  With Zeratul missing, Artanis protects Shakuras and the Dark Templar living there.

Aaros - Aaros is not like other Protoss.  He is part of an ancient species, called the Thiroths, created by the Xel'Naga centuries before the actual Protoss were created.  This species is a forgotten one, and Aaros is the last of his kind.  Wielding both psionic and dark powers, Aaros is one of the strongest creatures created by the Xel'Naga.  He aids Shirok and his group of Dark Templar.

Arcturus Mengsk - Leader of The Sons of Korhal, Mengsk used manipulation and propaganda to overthrow the confederacy and build his Dominion.  He rules over the Korprulu Sector, and he is currently in charge of the most powerful army in the sector.

FINAL VERSION DOWNLOAD: (edited 11/16/09)
http://www.filefront.com/14937807/Rise%20From%20The%20Ashes.rar

Change log:

RR01: Added beacons to identify the outposts.
          Fixed mission objective typo.

RR02: Fixed bug (generators gave 10 minutes by accident).

RR03: Replaced prisoner goliath with ghost
          Fixed door opening trigger.
          Fixed victory trigger.

RR06: Made Maxwell invincible after all charges are set.

AR01: Fixed trigger that gave player control of buildings.
          Changed player color so that built units aren't teal.

AR03: Made foolproof trigger for replacing Cerebrate if not killed by dark templar.

AR04: Made sure that Shirok and Sicarius can be rescued if no other units are present.
          Added minimap pings for unlocked doors/destroyed blockades.
          Fixed trigger that said "Door locked" even if it had been unlocked.

AR05: Changed Zeratul name to Shirok.

AR07: Edited reactor terrain to ensure that "Unit Implacable" did not show up.

TR01: Disabled medic restoration since medics cannot be built.

TR02: Made Militia Leaders invincible.
         Disabled charon boosters since goliaths cannot be built.
         Changed mission objective when Militia Leader tells player to destroy northeast Zerg base.

TR04: Disabled titan reactor since science vessels cannot be built.

TR05: Fixed bug that destroys all protoss units, thus revealing the code for bonus levels.
         Made white units invincible, then disabled invincibility after they were rescued.
         Changed Starports' in Hangar Bay color from red to yellow.
         Added a ton of doodads.

TRBonus01: Disabled Nydus Canal since it cannot be built.
                    Added doodads.

TRBonus02: Added doodads.

TRBonus03: Added overlords for beginning of map.

TRBonus01-03: Sped up build time of terran units.
                         Made code system foolproof.  Players now must input the code in the correct order.
                         Fixed trigger that ended mission in defeat if player brought 6 units to code area.

All maps: Fixed all typos.
Last edited by Dem0nS1ayer on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starcraft - Rise From The Ashes
index.php?topic=1678.0
Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Rise From The Ashes

Post by Campaign Creations »

Approved.
Dem0nS1ayer

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Well I figured since the Zerg laid back and evolved during the 4 years, there woulnd't be much of a story with them, would there?  :-\
index.php?topic=1678.0
Dem0nS1ayer

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

UPDATE:

Well, this sucks.  All my videos and pictures are black. :(  I can't post anything. >.>

EDIT: Never mind, I figured out how to save screen shots.

[imgwh 640x480]http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq91 ... enshot.png[/imgwh]

The briefing for the first mission.  You get to meet Colonel Felix Jenson. (note: i'll change the unit portraits once I figure out how to put the .smk files into a mod >_<)

[imgwh 640x480]http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq91 ... nshot2.png[/imgwh]

An enemy nuking your base on the second level.
Last edited by Dem0nS1ayer on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
index.php?topic=1678.0
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

It looks interesting so far, I'll keep an eye on this. ;)

A question. Against who are fighting the Raynor's Raiders in the second screenshot? I can see many players on the minimap... ;D

P.S. it's easy to change the unit portraits. You have to rename all the .smk you want to add to the mod just like the .smk you want to change (for example, if you want to change Daggoth portrait, you will need to write portrait\udgg\ (or something like that, I don't remember now)). If you want to know what the portraits names are, you only need to open StarDat (or BrooDat for BW units) with WinMPQ, go down to the portraits section and... that's it! Just change your portraits' names and add them in the mod with WinMPQ (thus overwriting the existing ones, if there are any).
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Dem0nS1ayer

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

In the second mission, the player has to fight their way through numerous Dominion bases and bring 4 Renegade Marines (special marines trained by Felix) to a lab entrance near the bottom of the map.  I just like using different colors to differentiate between the bases.  Also, it looks prettier on the minimap. :P

Also, I have the custom .smk files, but I don't really have a mod.  All that I'm changing is the unit portraits. :\

----

A prologue is coming soon.  Hopefully, you'll get to see it by tomorrow. :D
Last edited by Dem0nS1ayer on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
index.php?topic=1678.0
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Dem0nS1ayer wrote: In the second mission, the player has to fight their way through numerous Dominion bases and bring 4 Renegade Marines (special marines trained by Felix) to a lab entrance near the bottom of the map.  I just like using different colors to differentiate between the bases.  Also, it looks prettier on the minimap. :P

Also, I have the custom .smk files, but I don't know how to put all them into a mod.  Do I just drag the folder through mpqdraft?
No. Change the name to your .smk files and add them to the mod's mpq with WinMPQ (without the folder; just remember to rename them or they won't work). When it's done, save the mpq and run it with MPQDraft.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Dem0nS1ayer

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

That would make sense, but the problem is that I don't have a mod. :P  I just have these portraits that I want to put into the game.  I know I'll have to make a mod to do that, but I have no clue what to do.  >.<

Hmm, this "Turn On Shared Vision" AI Script is really pissing me off...  I want P3 to see P2's DT, so I put a trigger under P2 that says "Turn ON Shared Vision for Player 3", and yet, there's nothing. T_T
Last edited by Dem0nS1ayer on Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
index.php?topic=1678.0
Symmetry
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by Symmetry »

Dem0nS1ayer wrote: That would make sense, but the problem is that I don't have a mod. :P  I just have these portraits that I want to put into the game.  I know I'll have to make a mod to do that, but I have no clue what to do.  >.". All you really have to worry about here is the folder name - tghost. Go back to winmpq and type "portrait\*folder name*" (without quotes, and with the folder name you found in place of *folder name*.

Next, open MPQDraft. You can either create a SEMPQ (an .exe) or you can load the MPQ and see your changes immediately. Follow the instructions provided in MPQDraft, selecting Starcraft as your game, and the MPQ you created as your MPQ, and you'll have your mod running in no time at all.

If anything is unclear, let me know.
Dem0nS1ayer

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Ohh I get it!  Thanks!  But I have a question.  I want to replace the portraits for Mojo and Tom Kazansky, but since they're the same portraits as a Scout and a Wraith, won't those portraits get messed up too?

edit: Uh oh, I want to replace the portrait for Raynor (Marine), but that would replace the portrait for all the Raynor units, right?  That's not gonna work because Raynor is one of the characters in the campaign. :-\
Last edited by Dem0nS1ayer on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
index.php?topic=1678.0
Symmetry

Post by Symmetry »

Yes, you're exactly right. One way that I know of to get around this is to replace the portrait of a hero or unit that you are not planning on using and having your standard unit use its portrait.

Example: Say you want to change Tom Kazansky's portrait and are not planning on using Jim Raynor. Replace Jim Raynor's portrait in the same way as before. Open DatEdit and find Kazansky's entry in the "Units" tab. In the 'graphics' sub-tab, set Kazansky's "idle portrait" to that of Jim Raynor. Be sure to set it to his IDLE portrait and not his TALKING portrait. Save your file as "units.dat" and add it to your mpq in the folder "arr\".

There is another, more complicated way to do it that will allow you reach your desired effect without replacing any used portraits, but this method will suffice unless you intend to use every portrait in the game.
Dem0nS1ayer

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Ohh that's cool!

EDIT:  I have 30 files in my mpq, and it won't let me add any more. T_T  Why is that?
Last edited by Dem0nS1ayer on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
index.php?topic=1678.0
Symmetry

Post by Symmetry »

Are you receiving an error of any kind? I don't recall ever experiencing something like that before.

Make sure the MPQ isn't being used by any other programs (for example, make sure you're not running the mod as you're trying to edit it).
Dem0nS1ayer

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Huh, well it just let me add more, but I can't delete my other ones. :(

EDIT: hahaha, nvm. I pressed delete and then enter when it said "Delete File?", but it was highlighting the "No" box. xD
Last edited by Dem0nS1ayer on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
index.php?topic=1678.0
Symmetry

Post by Symmetry »

I've never experienced something like this. Perhaps your version of WinMPQ is damaged/corrupt? Try redownloading it from a different source and see if that helps at all.