And He Spoke, And I Felt His Anguish

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Sodon
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

And He Spoke, And I Felt His Anguish

Post by Sodon »

Sodon, 24

Shortly after the Brood War ends, the Dominion Deep Space Research and Observation Project (DDSROP) discovers a previously undetected super massive black hole near the edge of the galaxy. Before they can report their findings, however, the singularity disappears.

Two years later, an independent Terran mining vessel, the David, is investigating "duds" - planets that do not appear to be rich in minerals - in the hopes of discovering hidden resources. Without warning, they run into a massive singularity. Rather than being pulled apart, however, they instead find themselves pulled through space into the distant universe. There, in their fight for survival, they uncover the mystery - and horror - behind the singularity that will change everything they ever knew about war. Though I value the joy of discovery for the player concerning the campaign's plot, it will be acceptable to say that the Terrans are not the only ones to have been drawn through this singularity...

And He Spoke, And I Felt His Anguish will span 8 Terran missions with 1 Zerg prologue mission. It will be a character drama, and will explore philosophical themes about identity and war. Though the events will not directly impact the organizations and peoples of Brood War and StarCraft II (though it will cover the four years), it will provide an examination of the personality archetypes that are driving the war between Zerg, Protoss, and Terran. Missions will not be overly complex twists on the primary StarCraft gameplay; the aim, like most traditional expansions, will be to test the player's core understanding of the game. Micromanagement of familiar units against overwhelming forces will be the most common focus.
Last edited by Sodon on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stupazin'.
Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: And He Spoke, And I Felt His Anguish

Post by Campaign Creations »

Approved.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Sodon! THE Sodon? :o
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Based on the account registration date plus other details about his account, yup it's him.
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

Seems like a very 'science fiction' approach to StarCraft.  Good to see people venturing into areas like this.  Good luck Sodon!
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Sodon
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Sodon »

Yes, it's me! I haven't written a trigger in 9 years! :O Oh no!
Last edited by Sodon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stupazin'.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I once bowed to never touch StarEdit again. Five years passed and I went ape on triggers in StarEdit and creating something lame, deleted it, and now I'm where I am today.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Sodon wrote: Yes, it's me! I haven't written a trigger in 9 years! :O Oh no!
Dude! We should totally catch up or something.
- Maglok
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Sodon wrote: Though the events will not directly impact the organizations and peoples of Brood War and StarCraft II (though it will cover the four years)
Explain how this covers the four years between or any segment of this time to properly be acceptable, please. Currently the quoted line is contrasting the rest of the statement of overall being an alternate universe.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Sodon
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Sodon »

It's not an alternate universe, it's just a different part of the universe. It will involve all three races, and it does take place between the wars. I intend to tackle the underlying philosophies behind the three races, an indirect way of fleshing out where the Zerg, Protoss, and Terran will be when StarCraft II starts. Similar to the "Why We Fight" episode from the StarCraft manga. Instead of explaining Raynor or Artanis specifically, I am being more broad.

Also, it allows me the opportunity to tell a different kind of story :P

Maybe I should emphasize that the location is not necessarily a sticking point here. Similarly to a campaign about a colony on the Outer Rim, it takes place distant from the action but is not so far removed that it's irrelevant. Part of of my motivation is that I wanted to tell a story that is somewhat epic in nature, and it would not make sense for certain events to happen in the Koprulu Sector without attracting the attention of damn near everybody. And I really don't want to bring everybody into the story. Doing so would only distract from my overall goals with the story.
Last edited by Sodon on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stupazin'.
Sodon
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Sodon »

Here's an overview of the first mission, zoomed out to emphasize a story element. The aforementioned blackhole has ripped apart this space platform and will continue to cause the player some difficulties throughout the mission.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stupazin'.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Goto broodwarmaps.net and look at some of their space maps. You need to really detail those maps more and make them look nicer!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sodon
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Sodon »

Oh, the terrain isn't finished. I'm going to be doing that last. I just put bits down now. Like I've said, the maps should be fun without detailed terrain :P So that's my first focus. But yes, I will be doing more.
Stupazin'.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

You can pull so much fun stuff with a black hole effecting gameplay. Neat idea. Show us moorreeee.
- Maglok
Sodon
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Sodon »

Episode 1 is complete. Episode 2, aside from a few terrain tweaks, is also done. It features a gameplay type I haven't experimented with before, though I'm sure others have. Some preview shots:

[imgwh 640x480]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/ ... 205940.jpg[/imgwh]
[imgwh 640x480]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/ ... 210013.jpg[/imgwh]
[imgwh 640x480]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/ ... 210042.jpg[/imgwh]
[imgwh 640x480]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/ ... 210203.jpg[/imgwh]

And a map preview:
[imgwh 483x799]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/ ... ish2-2.jpg[/imgwh]
The player is up against staggering odds. Can they manage their way through?
The campaign will ramp up in difficulty at this point. It is not intended to make you perfect your micro, but I expect you to have to try each map at least twice :P
Stupazin'.