Campaign Creations StarCraft Campaign Contest Details

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: Campaign Creations StarCraft Campaign Contest Details

Post by Marco »

Archangel wrote: I'm officially submitting my campaign idea thing tonight.

And I have no problem with the original rules. Crying about contest restrictions is like complaining that you can't run in a potato sack race or hold an egg in your hand instead of a spoon in that weird, spoon, egg thing.

Rules is rules. Keeps things challenging. Nobody cares how creative you are if you can't work within the constraints of your superiors. If you don't believe me, try working in the Film business  ;D
Ah Archangel, wonderful to see you again.  It's been quite a while since you stopped in here, at least to my knowledge.  Lots of old faces popping back up.  I'm interested to see a campaign that a professional director made - that should be fun.  How did your Star Wars project fare?
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

AA, my man. How'd your movie end up?

*tips hat*
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Maglok wrote: AA, my man. How'd your movie end up?

*tips hat*
Why do you think he's going MIA soon? ;)
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

Guys, enough with the stupid lore-needling and holier-than-thou attitudes. Seriously, what the hell? Leave people to make their submissions in peace. Criticism is cool, but 'OMG YOUR STORY DOESNT MATCH THIS ONE PIECE OF STARCRAFT CANON FROM A STORY YOU DIDN'T READ' is just dumb and unconstructive.
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Are we allowed to have a 3 episode campaign, and use one race more than once?  I want to have a terran campaign, then a protoss campaign, and then another terran campaign.
Starcraft - Rise From The Ashes
index.php?topic=1678.0
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Dem0nS1ayer wrote: Are we allowed to have a 3 episode campaign, and use one race more than once?  I want to have a terran campaign, then a protoss campaign, and then another terran campaign.
Yes.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Archangel
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Archangel »

Des, yeah it's been a minute. The Star Wars project is nearing completion. I'm flying out to LA to jump in the trenches with my post team and get it done. You can see a trailer on YouTube: Sandrima Rising Official Trailer 2008 in HD! 

Please don't judge my campaign on my film work or vice versus. PS. I like your idea about the difficulty level option. I promise I won't steal it. ;)

Maglok, where the heck are you? You never call me anymore :( YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT OUR BABY LOOKS LIKE!!!!!
Laconius wrote: The original rule that pertained to establishing a plot within ALL of the four years made it close-to-impossible to strengthen personalities within such a vast time period.
I'm sorry, I just don't believe that. I have too much faith in the community of wonderful developers here, you included, that the rule would not make any worthwhile story impossible. Just try :)
[color=#ff9227]- Archangel
Best Damn Voice Actor There Ever Was[/color]
Sodon
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Sodon »

I still like the idea of seeing what can come from restrictions. You can make a campaign about your characters anytime :P
Stupazin'.
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

Sodon wrote: I still like the idea of seeing what can come from restrictions. You can make a campaign about your characters anytime :P
Exactly. This is not a time to masturbate to your epic talent of storytelling on a grand scale. This is a contest. And the contest has rules. You do your best within the constraints of the rules. THAT ALONE illustrates your talent to a level that anyone with a brain can then assume whether or not you can actually tell an interesting soap opera or not.

This is not soap opera time. This is game time. Play the game. If you don't like the rules, don't play. Nobody's making you.

To further expound on this theory of "I don't like your game. Change the rules!" allow me to allow The Onion to do my job for me.

NHL Woos Fans By Increasing Scoring With Bigger Nets, 3-Point Line
[color=#ff9227]- Archangel
Best Damn Voice Actor There Ever Was[/color]
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

We call it a challenge, I'd take on the writing for something like that anytime. I got other stuff stewing at the moment though and know my limits.

@AA: Dude I had to go into hiding, the ZIA is after me you see. Vans, shades, zerglings, the full monty. Seriously though, I don't do AIM anymore and you don't seem to do MSN. ;) Though if I understand Lavvz correctly we might have some interaction soon.

Damn man that trailer looks really, really, slick. I am impressed. I am a critique by nature and a film nut, and this? I like. Bluray release? Holland release? :P
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
tipereth

Post by tipereth »

Laconius, you're being a dick and the only reason you wanted the rules changed was because you had a shitload of work already done for your campaign, and the rules change allowed you to submit it without worrying about changing it to fit said rules. Those of us without half a fucking campaign already completed when the contest was announced had no problem making new stories that fit the rules.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

People, settle down already.  Let's keep this fun. :D
Eredalis
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by Eredalis »

BadManners! wrote: People, settle down already.  Let's keep this fun. :D
#!!!

And tipereth: Please, no insults here...
In general it would be nice if you paid attention sometimes a little to your choice of words.
Last edited by Eredalis on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

BadManners! wrote: People, settle down already.  Let's keep this fun. :D
Yeah, Legion's right. I think that one of the objectives of this contest is to made a campaign project so we can play and enjoy of it, not to fight among ourselves to see who of us is right about a stupid matter. Laconius is half-right, if he can't do a campaign which plot uses ALL of the four years between BW and SC II he has right to ask a change on the rules. Lav has changed them to give more freedom to mapmakers, but that DOESN'T mean other people can't do a campaign which plot uses those four years. We've already seen the work Laconius is putting on his campaign. Do we need to put things more difficult for him or for anyone who are in his same situation?
Eredalis wrote: #!!!

And tipereth: Please, no insults here...
In general it would be nice if you paid attention sometimes a little to your choice of words.
Agreed. As Legion said, please, keep this fun. ;)
Last edited by omega20 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Sodon
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Sodon »

Laconius wrote: Actually, I apologize for my constant retorts in this thread.  But it's simply because being one of the influential factors regarding the four-year clause edit, I feel compelled to defend Lav's decision.  I just wouldn't feel right sitting on my ass while Lav gets hammered away at by ignorant passerby's.

And to make it clear, I didn't request for the clause edit to make it a pain in the ass for everyone EXCEPT me.  That's utter bullshit.  If at all, it's put even MORE of a burden on me, since now, I have absolutely no excuse to lack personality development in my works.  Additionally, many people were complaining about the original clause to begin with, so I felt a need to voice their opinion along with my own.
Regardless, I stand by what I said. If Lavarinth felt the rules could be changed, that's fine. It's his game, and I don't really care what you make. I am, however, defending the original intention of the contest, i.e. to see what people could make that could cover the four years between the games. Obviously, it could have resulted in a lot of crap, and it probably still will. Nevertheless, I am confident the top three winners would have made truly original, interesting stories placed within the restriction. Creativity can not - must not - be fazed by a restriction.

No offense, but if an endless series of build and destroy maps with Protoss saying, "LULZ ZERG" is the best you can come up with, you should be very happy indeed the rules were changed :P

But no, you were being facetious. In any case, it's beside the point. All I am saying is that we can make our stories anytime we want. This contest was an opportunity to tell something else, preferably beside the obvious "LET'S KILL KERRIGAN" campaigns, which are frankly made all the time anyway.

If I was to be upset, it would simply be that the contest's announcement spurred the development of a dozen or so campaigns covering the four years. Now, they seem frivolous, and are more likely to seem staid when other campaigns might now only cover a month. I hope that, at least thematically, the winners still cover those four years.
Stupazin'.