StarCraft: Vile Egression [Completed]

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

StarCraft: Vile Egression [Completed]

Post by Laconius »

Name: Laconius

Background:  I will pertain to the 4 year time-frame as stated in the updated contest rules.

The story, characters, and all other segments of lore regarding this campaign will be developed and revealed as it progresses.  

A trailer of what is to come:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJehEysj6bw[/youtube]
(Thanks to IskatuMesk for uploading)

IMPORTANT: Please use the "Fastest" game speed settings.

[Mod, Readme, and Maps]:

Mod & Readme:
http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc/vile_egression/Vile_Egression.exe

Chapter 1:
http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc/vile_egression/VE-1.scx

Chapter 2:
http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc/vile_egression/VE-2.scx

Chapter 3:
http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc/vile_egression/VE-3.scx
Last edited by Laconius on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ours is a thought-tormented age.
SaintKerrigan
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Re: StarCraft: Vile Egression

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Whoa.
Tremble before my wrath!
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

Great work, Laconius. ;) Seriously, I can't wait to play it! :D
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Campaign Creations »

Approved.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Laconius wrote: Name: Laconius

Background:  I will pertain to the 4 year time-frame as stated in the contest rules.

The story, characters, and all other segments of lore regarding this campaign will be developed and revealed as it progresses. 

A trailer of what is to come:

(Thanks to IskatuMesk for uploading)
Looks really cool! Cool mature-sounding voice actor (yay, no more teenage protoss!).

What's it about, man?
Last edited by Lavarinth on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

BadManners! wrote: Looks really cool! Cool mature-sounding voice actor (yay, no more teenage protoss!).

What's it about, man?
Um, to be honest; I have no idea! :D

I'm just developing the plot and characters as I go along.

On that note, here's some screenshots:

[imgwh 640x480]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff13 ... nShot6.jpg[/imgwh]

[imgwh 640x480]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff13 ... cy/sc8.jpg[/imgwh]

[imgwh 640x480]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff13 ... cy/VE1.jpg[/imgwh]
Last edited by Laconius on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Wow.  Looking good so far, Laconius!  Can't wait to play it!
Church

Post by Church »

I think I just lost.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Jim_Raynor wrote: I think I just lost.
Keep in mind the addition of voice actors, color text, music, and modifications do not directly affect the scoring. All that would be taken into consideration is the dialogue and the presentation in the mission briefing.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Concretely, while it does affect indirectly, your efforts are better spent on having a solid balance of the basic criterias while the shiny things are a lot of work for little gain in this contest.

Plus, some people tries to create super big projects only to fail miserably since they gave up after too much work done or feeling they won't meet the deadline or again something very wrong happened in their private lives.

So ultimately, you didn't already lose in advance.

And to the ultimate worst, even if you did ... seriously working on a campaign in such contest allows you to better know your limits, what to improve and so on for future attempts at creating maps or campaigns.
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: Concretely, while it does affect indirectly, your efforts are better spent on having a solid balance of the basic criterias while the shiny things are a lot of work for little gain in this contest.
Hmm, I'd say that sounds a bit contradicting coming from you, Ricky.  Why?  Because during the previous contest, I read nearly ALL of your reviews and criticisms for the respective campaigns that you played.  In them, I noticed that you stressed the topics of originality, grammar, and the so-called "extra" effects. 

Therefore, when I entered this contest, I was prepared to to have my content go through the same, super-analytical review process that you had to offer.  Hence, THAT'S why I chose to put effort into voices, music, text formatting, and whatnot.  So when you say "a lot of work for a little gain," do you seriously mean that? :P
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Laconius wrote:
Ricky_Honejasi wrote: Concretely, while it does affect indirectly, your efforts are better spent on having a solid balance of the basic criterias while the shiny things are a lot of work for little gain in this contest.
Hmm, I'd say that sounds a bit contradicting coming from you, Ricky.  Why?  Because during the previous contest, I read nearly ALL of your reviews and criticisms for the respective campaigns that you played.  In them, I noticed that you stressed the topics of originality, grammar, and the so-called "extra" effects. 

Therefore, when I entered this contest, I was prepared to to have my content go through the same, super-analytical review process that you had to offer.  Hence, THAT'S why I chose to put effort into voices, music, text formatting, and whatnot.  So when you say "a lot of work for a little gain," do you seriously mean that? :P
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Laconius wrote:So when you say "a lot of work for a little gain," do you seriously mean that? :P
Well, from what I understood for this specific contest (as opposed to the previous one), Lavarinth decided that modding and special effects should have a limited influence for the score system of text, triggers, mapping and professionalism. They are more to be used as a tie-breaker (although it will still obviously affect the score a bit).

In my mind, it would mean that all those shiny changes and effects would be just a +1 or +2 change in the professionalism section in addition of whatever base professionalism aspects considered (presuming it's 8-9 instead of 10). That's versus having a 10 score in text if your text is 100% proof, well-arranged while if there are lots of text errors, it would rate as 3-5 to me.

Ultimately putting one or two hour(s) of fixing that text would raise that back to 7-9 (a 4 global points gain) vs the many many hours just to get a +1 or +2 "bonus" via modding and such.

EDIT : Note however that's *I* see the score system and understood the rules, ultimately Lavarinth might think otherwise.
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I personally think that custom effects like sounds and actual grammar should have a significant impact since they reflect the artist's original vision better and represent a better understanding of the game itself and a stronger degree of dedication to their work.

I think less of mods who fail to produce custom sounds or put any effort into their graphics other than crappy kitbashes because it reflects on their laziness or unwillingness to invest time in new ventures, for example.
Church

Post by Church »

Lavarinth wrote:
Jim_Raynor wrote: I think I just lost.
Keep in mind the addition of voice actors, color text, music, and modifications do not directly affect the scoring. All that would be taken into consideration is the dialogue and the presentation in the mission briefing.
Oh. Thank you for telling me that.  I still think that this campaign looks really cool.