Memories of a Queen

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Memories of a Queen

Post by Falchion »

Name: Falchion
Direction: The goal is to create a seven-map campaign focused on Zerg only, concentrating more on lore than in gameplay.  While there will be new portraits in order to fit the new characters, this will be a pure Starcraft Broodwar campaign, i.e there won't be any changes except for custom characters.  While some of the maps are focused on macro, one will introduce specific mazes and puzzles destined to test micro capabilities.  Two of the maps are for intro-outro cutscene purposes, therefore leaving five playable maps.

There can be a very vague reference to the War of the Tribes campaign, as there'll be mention, perhaps even presence of certain lore and characters related to it, but my goal is to stick to the lore provided by Starcraft II while giving the still-unknown story of Kerrigan's whereabouts during the war.  Yes, the campaign focuses more on Kerrigan than anything else.  To reinforce the story line, I intend on making use of intensive research, setting relation to past events, bridge some of the gaps included in the Starcraft II lore and establish, in the end, the "slumber" of the Zerg for the next four years to come.  While several dialogues and acting will certainly be in third person, I'm planning to establish a first-person narrative based on what Kerrigan thinks.  Although everything written on this campaign will be original, some will notice that the writing style will have been strongly influenced in a way similar to the Blood Omen/Soul Reaver series.
MEMORIES OF A QUEEN:
2501.  The marking of not only the beginning of the Terran 26th Century, but also of great changes... from bad to worse.  The Brood War had ended a few hours ago.  In the distant Koprulu Sector, a race of creatures thought to be "inferior" has gained the upper hand over two species considered to be far advanced.  As the ruling human power, the Terran Dominion, is heavily wounded by massive losses and the mysterious Protoss retreat in the loss their pride, as the United Earth Directorate expedition is reduced to dust by the very same creatures they sought to control and turn against they enemies, no one can now question the power of such a horrifying alien word:  Zerg.

But behind all of these events lies a single human in command of such a simple but powerful force.  A woman integrated into the Swarm, evolved with power, driven by battle-lust and haunted by ghosts of her past:  Sarah Louise Kerrigan, the Queen of Blades.  She was the instrument that, after the fall of the conscious collective known as the Overmind and it's agents, the Cerebrates, had taken the grasp of power and drove the species that once sought ultimate perfection to a total quest for power and revenge.

Now, with her enemies defeated and her power undisputed in the war-torn sector, Kerrigan little realizes that, in the apogee of her power, she'll have to scour her past once again and discover secrets deemed forbidden in preparation for the greatest trials yet to come...
Last edited by Falchion on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Gemini
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Memories of a Queen

Post by Gemini »

Actually, the Brood War ended in 2501.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/2501#June
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Gemini wrote: Actually, the Brood War ended in 2501.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/2501#June
Fixed.

Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Campaign Creations »

Approved.
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

JUNE, 12th, 2009 Update:

Heavy WIP here.  Still no screenshots to show.  I'm concentrating mostly on the fifth (Mission 4) map, the one involving micro, because it's one which will take far more work and time, from scripting, terraining and unit placement to music choosing.  Details are extremely classified on what it is, but you can be certain this one will like an everyday's Meta-made map, with traps, challenges and everything.

Besides that, Intro is 56% done and the first mission is 20% (Terraining is 60% done).

Falchion

Post by Falchion »

JUNE, 12th, 2009 Update:

Well, as the rules tell, CC will start checking on updates today.  Here's some screenshots as a proof this campaign isn't mere talk.  Just be warned, not everything you see here is final, there's still alot of work, test and bugfix to be done.
-----------------------------------------X-----------------------------------------
[imgwh 640x480]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9739/intro0j.jpg[/imgwh]
In Starcraft II, the slimy bastards everyone loves is gone forever, right?  Someone must make sure they have one last breath here.  Remember, Kerrigan still needs them for some final business before dispatching 'em for good.

[imgwh 640x480]http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9898/intro1t.jpg[/imgwh]
[imgwh 640x480]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4723/intro2c.jpg[/imgwh]
[imgwh 640x480]http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7449/intro3.jpg[/imgwh]
I've also introduced a perspective on the UED forces after DuGalle's suicide, as well as their last, desperate battle for their lives.  Some may question dialogue here, but, according to Starcraft lore, the UED was reforged from the fascist UPL, so I must make sure the UED is also totalitarian and, as usual, not so lenient with failure.

[imgwh 640x480]http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/1338/chapter0401.jpg[/imgwh]
Well, here's a preview of my epic-like Chapter 04 mission.  I wanted for the warp jump to be more than just recalls.
-----------------------------------------X-----------------------------------------
Now, do me a favor and give on some comments will ya?  ;D

Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

That last one musta taken some boring triggering. :)
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Maglok wrote: That last one musta taken some boring triggering. :)
And a suckfest of repeated testing. xD

Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Everything for art right? ;)
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Maglok wrote: Everything for art right? ;)
Even patience, if you ask me.  :)

Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Falchion wrote:
Art and patience don't mix. Hence deadlines. :p
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

BadManners! wrote:
Falchion wrote:
First lesson BadManners, on good things:  You don't rush art, EVER.

Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Falchion wrote:
BadManners! wrote:
Falchion wrote:
First lesson BadManners, on good things:  You don't rush art, EVER.
I knew what you meant the first time.  I just said that in this commercialized world, we don't have the time and money to wait for artists (of any kind) to get that vibe.  If there were no deadlines, you wouldn't be seeing as many books, films, games, poems and whatever as you do now.  I'm just saying.
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

JUNE, 19th, 2009 Update:

A critical change was done:  A custom mod, in order to play the campaign, is being made.  I've managed to make room for the new introduction as well as preserve several original characters that I wanted.  Well, not exactly, I needed to cannibalize some the portraits for the resources in order to accomodate.  But since no one sees those portraits alot, I don't see why anyone will care.  :)

However, I need to make a request to CC about adding official unit graphics (The Protoss Brigand from the VotF series).  I plan to use it in the mod.  Well, do some re-coloring too.  Just need your permission.  If not allowed, I'll think on something else.

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Falchion wrote: JUNE, 19th, 2009 Update:

A critical change was done:  A custom mod, in order to play the campaign, is being made.  I've managed to make room for the new introduction as well as preserve several original characters that I wanted.  Well, not exactly, I needed to cannibalize some the portraits for the resources in order to accomodate.  But since no one sees those portraits alot, I don't see why anyone will care.   :)

However, I need to make a request to CC about adding official unit graphics (The Protoss Brigand from the VotF series).  I plan to use it in the mod.  Well, do some re-coloring too.  Just need your permission.  If not allowed, I'll think on something else.
If the artwork is done by someone specific, ask for their permission personally.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator