The Hunt

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Pathogen
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

The Hunt

Post by Pathogen »

Name: Pathogen

In the reign of the Overmind, the Cerebrates served as its immortal lieutenants; the truest incarnations of the will and fury of the Swarm.

In the reign of the Queen of Blades, there were no known survivors.

This is... The Hunt.

The Hunt will be a Zerg focused campaign of five to ten missions, bookended by one prologue and epilogue each from the perspective of the Protoss. We will follow the fortunes and fates of three Cerebrates from the destruction of the first Overmind, the creation, capture and destruction of the second, to their part in the titular hunt for the Cerebrates in the four years after the Brood Wars.

More to come...
Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: The Hunt

Post by Campaign Creations »

Approved.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

This one sounds doable. Not 30 maps, but 5-10. Good luck.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Pathogen

Post by Pathogen »

Hi Maglok, thanks for the encouragement!

I've been nailing down the finer points of the story this evening, before writing up a script. I feel like I need a decent plan for the whole campaign before I start working on the whole thing, though things will probably change right up until the end of production.

I don't intend to spoil too much here, the story itself won't be overly complex (but it is shaping up to be a little craazy...) I haven't seen a need for a long setup post like most of the campaigns have so far. (By the way, Laconius' Vile Aggression... wow! Sets the bar pretty high for a start!) Most of the focus will be on the character of the three main Cerebrates.

The timeline is shifting around in my mind too, I think that instead of going all the way back to the death of the first Overmind, it'll start at the moment the UED pacify the second. Doing a quick run down of all the story points I'd like to hit... I seem to be up to 14 maps, of which 4 look like movie maps and 3 will have pretty light play with some movie in there too. Leaving 7 maps to get the business done. That's actually more than I was hoping for, so that may get pared down over time depending on what seems reasonable.

Anyways, up next is a little bit of the script, and doing some research into the latest and greatest in Starcraft mapmaking tools.
Pathogen

Post by Pathogen »

Hello everyone,

Not too much to report for this week. Suffered a tragic power loss, which wiped out a lot of unsaved files and a lot of motivation. Still, I have all of the details are plotted out in my mind now, I've cut and combined the number of maps down to nine in total, and I have the first mission and part of the second written.

That July 31 deadline is approaching like a steam engine though! I want to do this campaign, but it's going to be tough as hell. I intend to have actual content with which to update sometime soon, too. Anyhow, back to work!
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Krazy wrote: You have no idea how much I feel your pain.  All of yesterday scmdraft started crashing and I spent easily 4 hours trying to figure out how to make it stop.  But today, I started working on a different mission, and a lot of my frustrations just vanished.  I think that whenever you have a "sudden loss" on a map you were working on, a lot of the time it really helps to just move to a different project/map for a little while.  Good luck!
if scmdraft crashes it saves a backup file. Try opening it in scmdraft 2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Make sure that you guys have this version: http://www.stormcoast-fortress.net/temp/Scmdraft2-setup.rar  It's the newest version, posted by SI.
Starcraft - Rise From The Ashes
index.php?topic=1678.0