Campaign Creations StarCraft Campaign Contest Details

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Campaign Creations StarCraft Campaign Contest Details

Post by Campaign Creations »

Adjustments to any Details are in italic underline.

PRIZE POOL:
First Prize – TWO StarCraft 2 Beta Keys,  StarCraft: The Board Game
Second Prize – TWO StarCraft 2 Beta Keys, StarCraft: Novel Trilogy
Third Prize – TWO StarCraft 2 Beta Keys, StarCraft Poster

ADDITIONAL REWARDS TO ALL WINNERS:
Project Hosting on Campaign Creations' upcoming new section currently codenamed Contests. Featuring a profile of victors and review of their submissions. Special achievement in Forum representing congratulations for first place victor.

REQUIREMENTS:
Contest will be a campaign creation contest, with no limits other than using lore; to present a story as to what occurred within the four years between the Brood War and StarCraft 2 storyline. It may be portrayed through one, two, or all three of the races, and may involve any period between the four years. (You may use time lapse such as "one year later" in your story to pace through the timeline.) Style can be crafted in any sequence, such as episodes, intertwining, etc. and may revolve around main characters or spin-off fan-created characters. Judgment will be based on ability to portray story via in-game text and triggers, mapping ability, and overall professionalism of the project. Additional extras such as music, vocal work, or artwork adjustment will not directly ultimately affect judgment but may aid in help of a tie, as well as how early you announced your project and how many updates you perform in your thread. The contest will be based off a scoring system, where one can acquire up to ten points based on each criteria: Text (Spelling, Grammar, Formatting, Dialogue, etc), Triggers (Complexity, Functional, Usage), Mapping (Categories: Layout and Beauty), and Professionalism (Attention to detail, lore, updates, and presentation).

The overall project must involve sometime directly related to an occurance within the four years, and may, if you wish, be established by using the Brood War timeline, and may, if you wish, be concluded using the StarCraft II timeline.

ACTIVITY DATES:
Contest Begins: Jun 6th, 2009
Contest Weekly Updates Start: June 15th, 2009
Contest Ends: July 31st, 2009

PROCEDURE:
Project announcement on "StarCraft Four Year Between Campaign Competition" forum. Only one thread per contestant is allowed. First post will contain project information: Name/Alias, Age, Direction of Campaign (Story). Following posts will include any selected details of submitted project. At any time during the following eight weeks, contestants are required to submit development logs and screenshots of their project at any day of the week once a week. Upon completion a separate reply to the contestant’s thread must be added with the text "PROJECT COMPLETED." After, you may add links to download your project. We encourage you to wait until the final week to upload your project, but are not required to.

SAMPLE SUBMISSION:
Name: Lavarinth
Direction: I intend to produce three additional episodes related to each of the three races. The Terran will be the first focus, following a ten map story, followed by the Protoss in a five map story, and the Zerg in the end with a fifteen map story. On occasion, the player may switch roles to a different race to get a better perspective on the situation, but will continue overall on the main race’s story after. Together they will produce an arcing story as to what the original heroes did within the four years.

OFFICIAL CONTEST INFORMATION:
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. To enter, complete the procedures listed in the PROCEDURE topic above. To be eligible, entries must be completed and received on or by the closing date of the draw. Incomplete entries will be considered but most likely not accepted. All entries shall remain property of their creator; however, rights to host on Campaign Creations for an indefinite time frame are acknowledged and supported by the creator.

CONTEST RULES:
  1. The contest is open to the general public.
  2. The prize is not redeemable in cash and must be accepted as awarded.
  3. Decisions of the contest judges are final - no substitutions will be available.
  4. By claiming the prize, the winner(s) authorize the use of their content by Campaign Creations for any means, including but not limited to, advertisement, publicity, public downloads. Winner is allowed to adjust content at a later date and also retains ownership of content.
  5. In accepting the prize, the winner(s) acknowledge that prizes will be shipped to their chosen location. Shipping will be paid for by Campaign Creations if address is located within the continental United States. If address is outside of the United States, winner(s) acknowledge that they are responsible for supplying additional funds to ship prizes outside of the United States or agrees to Cash on Demand (CoD) shipping option if available. Winner also has option to forfeit material prizes and accept digital prizes alone.
  6. Detailed contest rules applicable to this contest, including contest entry dates, how to enter, prizes, and procedures will be listed at the top of this post and may alter at any time.
  7. Campaign Creations retains the rights, in its absolute and sole discretion, to make substitutions of equivalent kind or approximate value in the event of the unavailability of any prize or component of the prize for any reason whatsoever.
  8. Campaign Creations reserves the right to withdraw or terminate this contest at any time without prior notice.
  9. Approximate value of prizes, if stated, may vary.
 10.  One entry per person.

JUDGEMENT:
  • TEXT: Your project is a representation of yourself. “Blizzard quality” should be of your highest priority. Aesthetically pleasing formatting of text, proper grammar, punctuation and spelling are a must. The dialogue must be catching and attractive. Using a “real” personality instead of proper writing is a step further in immersing your player with your project. (EX: Someone will say in person “That aint right!” but will properly write “that is not right.” To connect players with characters, they must have personality.) This criteria is judged from a 1-10 scale, 10 being the highest score.
  • TRIGGERS: Triggers can range from a simple “Hello, world!” to a complete reenactment of an epic space war with explosions and so forth. With that said, this category’s points will likely go to the more creative uses of StarEdit’s trigger system. The more complex the triggers, the higher the score. With complexity comes function, however, as the triggers must work. Finally- The trigger must also have a usage and not simply be pretty things to impress people. Don’t overdo your triggers to confuse your player. This criteria is judged from a 1-10 scale, 10 being the highest score.
  • MAPPING: Mapping is all about making things look natural. Doodads are a gift given to us to allow that to be accomplished. However the map must also function and because of this we have separated mapping into two categories: Layout and Beauty. Layout is the function of the map, does it work? In addition is it to triggers, story, etc. The beauty of the map is the aesthetic value of the map. Are trees varied and placed properly, does that rock look good there? All these aspects require this criteria to have two categories of ten points each. This criteria is judged from a 1-10 scale in both categories separately, 10 being the highest score.
  • PROFESSIONALISM: Overall, your completed project will not solely be played because it was created. It must be presented properly and professionally to your potential players. Introducing someone to your project with a quick synopsis with a download link will quickly attract more players than a title and download link. Inside your project, players will continue playing if you follow through with your pitch and your attention to detail of it. In this situation, are you following the lore properly and are you getting a good grasp of the characters and how you are presenting them. This criteria also has a few points dedicated to weekly update to define professionalism in keeping your potential players updated. This criteria is judged from a 1-10 scale, 10 being the highest score.

Overall these four will total to 50 points, and will be the basis for who gets placed where.
Last edited by Lavarinth on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaintKerrigan
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Re: Campaign Creations StarCraft Campaign Contest Details

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Are we allowed to create an alternate timeline (i.e. Jim Raynor gets killed)?
Tremble before my wrath!
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

The project must follow the StarCraft storyline, not an alternate timeline. You may focus on characters and personas who are not well heard of, or create new characters, so long as their story falls in relations to the four years between StarCraft: Brood War and StarCraft II.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Lavarinth wrote:
WedgeAntilles wrote: Must you make the campaign by yourself, or can you make it with others?
You can create the project with others, however the prizes will not alter and you must distribute them amongst yourselves.
BadManners! wrote: This is exciting! Thanks for another opportunity to create and play great stuff!

One question (and this may be more due to my illiteracy than anything else): Should the campaign connect the two games, or can it just be a random story within the boundaries of lore during those four years between BW and SC2?
It must connect the two games, perhaps that's not mentioned enough. It doesn't have to be every day and waking moment, you can easily state "Two years pass as Kerrigan's broods grow stronger" etc. somewhere in the project.
- - Lavarinth
poiuy_qwert
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

Post by poiuy_qwert »

So making a mod and the aspects of the mod don't effect your score?
[align=center][url=http://www.modcrafters.com][imgwh 400x75]http://www.modcrafters.com/images/sig_logo.png[/imgwh][/url]
[url=http://www.modcrafters.com/wiki/index.php?title=PyMS]PyMS[/url] ([url=http://www.broodwarai.com/forums/index.php?showforum=40]Forums[/url]/[url=http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/index.php?topic=877.0]Local[/url]) | [url=http://www.broodwarai.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=709&view=getnewpost]ProTRG[/url] ([url=http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/index.php?topic=2214.0]Local[/url]) | [url=http://www.staredit.net/topic/4540/]LocUnlock[/url][/align]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

poiuy_qwert wrote: So making a mod and the aspects of the mod don't effect your score?
Not officially, but they can help with the professionalism category and also increase your chances of breaking the tie in your favor if a tie were to occur. You know me, I encourage it, and I am a judge for the projects. ;D
- - Lavarinth
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

Ah, another Campaign Creations contest. I'm eager to see the new projects developed by the contestans. ;)

And Lav, about the campaign conditions, it needs to be necessarily a time period of FOUR YEARS?
Last edited by omega20 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

omega20 wrote: Ah, another Campaign Creations contest. I'm eager to see the new projects developed by the contestans. ;)

And Lav, about the campaign conditions, it needs to be necessarily a time period of FOUR YEARS?
The time between the two was specifically four years, as mentioned, you can skip any amount of time in your story so long as the overall length is four years.
- - Lavarinth
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

Can we use a custom .exe for non-art purposes? (IE, data edits, iscript editing, ect)
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Yes, that's acceptable.
- - Lavarinth
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

With AoD2 wrapping up I will too enter this contest. Lets see if I can get it done before the due date!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Uhh, something I forgot to ask before. There is a minimun of maps required?
Lavarinth wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:
WedgeAntilles wrote: Must you make the campaign by yourself, or can you make it with others?
You can create the project with others, however the prizes will not alter and you must distribute them amongst yourselves.
BadManners! wrote: This is exciting! Thanks for another opportunity to create and play great stuff!

One question (and this may be more due to my illiteracy than anything else): Should the campaign connect the two games, or can it just be a random story within the boundaries of lore during those four years between BW and SC2?
It must connect the two games, perhaps that's not mentioned enough. It doesn't have to be every day and waking moment, you can easily state "Two years pass as Kerrigan's broods grow stronger" etc. somewhere in the project.
Uhhh... something strange happened with this post, Lav. It seems like you quoted your post, WedgeAntilles and Legion's ones in a single post. Also, where are their original posts?
Last edited by omega20 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
SaintKerrigan

Post by SaintKerrigan »

So the campaign has to begin right after the conclusion of the events of Brood War and finish right before the beginning of StarCraft 2?
Tremble before my wrath!
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

omega20 wrote: Uhh, something I forgot to ask before. There is a minimun of maps required?
Lavarinth wrote: Post.
Uhhh... something strange happened with this post, Lav. It seems like you quoted your post, WedgeAntilles and Legion's ones in a single post. Also, where are their original posts?
To answer your first question: No. However know the length of such a project wont be completed in a 30 minute gameplay time for the whole campaign. I mean, it can, but it wont be good. Quantity never matters when you create a project, it's about what's in the map and quality of it.

To answer your second question: It's from the news thread, I posted them here since they are informative here as well. Click any quote link to be sent to that thread.
Saint_Kerrigan wrote: So the campaign has to begin right after the conclusion of the events of Brood War and finish right before the beginning of StarCraft 2?
No. It can linger before the ending of Brood War if you want to use that time to set something up, and go into StarCraft 2 so long as it remains canon to what is currently known or heavily speculated. Like I've said multiple times, the only requirement is that it span those four years between, but you do not have to detail every waking moment of it, not do you have to summerize each race. You could select the Protoss and create a campaign about how they have to end their "racism" and bond together, as an example, or you could select all three races and show parts of what happened to each. Or, I suppose, you could focus on Duran and his plot to release these hybrids of his and how Zeratul perhaps stopped the first batch and went to warn Raynor. Again, there is little known of the time between except what is dictated in the StarCraft 2 storyline on their website. Aside that, manipulating the little story know leads the options to be near endless.
- - Lavarinth
TheProgramer
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by TheProgramer »

Yeah so I have a stupid question that I hope isnt going to kill me.  I have been working on my Campaign for a couple years and I have been using pre-made maps that came with StarCraft and BroodWar.  I change pretty much everything but the terrain (perhaps make a few small changes).  I was wondering if this disqualifies me, gives me a 0 on the scorecard for Mapping, or if it is to my credit for using old maps in new creative ways?  I didn't see anything in the rules that would have this disqualify me but I figure, better safe than sorry.  I so hope I am not disqualified, because changing the terrain completely would suck sicne i have integrated all my tiggers and everything already.  But what will come will come.
We can't stop them from comming, but by God we can make them limp home!