Lotc.exe doesn't "work"--Yet no errors either

Your destination for all things related to the Legacy of the Confederation series, including StarCraft, Brood War, and StarCraft II editions.

Moderator: The Oracle

Triple_Dude
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Lotc.exe doesn't "work"--Yet no errors either

Post by Triple_Dude »

Heya, I don't know if this is the proper place to post questions regarding the original LotC mod, so forgive me if I made a mistake :P.

Essentially, I'm perplexed as to why lotc.exe isn't "working". Double clicking on it yields nothing--literally; no errors, no pop-ups, no blank screens, just nothing. I'm currently running Windows XP SP3 and my Starcraft is patched to the latest version (1.16). Other mods seems to work (I currently play against Racine's AI Mod, which works fine. Entropy II also works fine).

And any way to perhaps find out what the problem may be? Is Lotc.exe incompatible with the latest Starcraft version... or something else I've missed? I read through the FAQ and it didn't document anything regarding incompatibility.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Lotc.exe doesn't "work"--Yet no errors either

Post by IskatuMesk »

AI mods do not use grafting changes typically (I am certain Entropy and Racine don't), but LoTC probably does. This will likely mean it doesn't work on the latest version.

I haven't ever played LoTC so I don't know if that's the case, but it's the safest bet.

I don't know what version LoTC would be; you could try 1.07 and 1.10.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Triple_Dude

Post by Triple_Dude »

Alas, it is a no go with both 1.07 and 1.10.

*Sigh* Looks like I will have to wait until the SC2 Remake of LotC to get to enjoy it :(.

Thanks for the help anyways :).
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

The mods you mentioned aren't from CC, so that's probably why they work. I believe LotC is more of a 1.05 era, although 1.07 should work, and make sure it's in the SC folder.

I just tried running it on the same OS as yourself, and it worked, Brood War launched and all. Are you running any sort of antivirus and how exactly is SC installed? Is it via web download or CD?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Triple_Dude

Post by Triple_Dude »

It's direct from CD install from ages ago :).

I'm currently running Avast! Anti-virus, but it doesn't complain about lotc.exe or anything when I run it, so I don't believe that's the problem.

By the way, what version did you just tried running with, version 1.07 or the fully patched 1.16?
coko
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by coko »

I'm sure it worked for me in the latest version as well. Are you on Vista? XP works perfectly for me.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Triple_Dude wrote: It's direct from CD install from ages ago :).

I'm currently running Avast! Anti-virus, but it doesn't complain about lotc.exe or anything when I run it, so I don't believe that's the problem.

By the way, what version did you just tried running with, version 1.07 or the fully patched 1.16?
I ran it on 1.16.1 just to see if it launched and not to see if it worked in-game. To make it work it has to be 1.07, I believe.

You may want to try disabling Avast as it may not complain, but in technical terms, a SEMPQ could be considered a virus by an anti-virus as it attempts to "inject" into a running application, that being "starcraft.exe," which by majority of situations, is virus-like behavior.
- - Lavarinth
Triple_Dude

Post by Triple_Dude »

Just tried it again with Avast! disabled, but it still will not launch :(.

I'm appreciative of all the input and help, but it looks like it just doesn't want to work :(.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Triple_Dude wrote: Just tried it again with Avast! disabled, but it still will not launch :(.

I'm appreciative of all the input and help, but it looks like it just doesn't want to work :(.
There has to be something blocking it. Try to run with Windows 98 compatibility.

Other than that, we're working on enhancing all patches to work alongside newer versions of StarCraft as it's patching life draws to an end with StarCraft II on the horizon.
- - Lavarinth
Triple_Dude

Post by Triple_Dude »

Tried all the compatibility mode that was available to me (95, 98/ME, NT 4.0, and 2000), but no luck :(.

I've added my SC CD Key to Battle.net, would using the download version change anything, would you think?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

No, I simply know the downloaded version causes issues with patches.
- - Lavarinth
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

HKS uses the downloaded version with no problems, and I haven't heard of it causing much issues elsewhere... so I have doubts that that is the problem.
chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by chris »

IskatuMesk wrote: I don't know what version LoTC would be; you could try 1.07 and 1.10.
its 1.10
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

IskatuMesk wrote: HKS uses the downloaded version with no problems, and I haven't heard of it causing much issues elsewhere... so I have doubts that that is the problem.
This is the LOTC episode 1 right? The one after Fallen Angel? It works with 1.6.1 since all it really does is modify the voices and maybe a portrait or two. There's nothing huge to change about it like say, Gundam Century or the Star Wars by Rob.

Actually, though I don't have SC or BW on me, this sparked a question on it's own. If you use a downgrader and you use the digital download version, can you actually downgrade patches and still retain the no-cd key feature? Cause if not, LOL.
Last edited by Xelxiuz on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The no-cd is a part of the exe, which gets changed. I think anyways.