[Sound] Choosing music.

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

[Sound] Choosing music.

Post by IskatuMesk »

With the string of Maglok topics I think it's time to break the ice a bit.

I'm curious what kind of thought processes you gentlemen go through when you choose music, both for your trailers and your mod/campaigns themselves.

I consider it a religion. I'm planning to write an entire article on this subject alone, because I see so many otherwise decent trailers and mods but they choose the most illogical of music, like anime singles and stuff.

I personally go through a very lengthy process of matching. Every one of my worlds has a very specific sound to it that is tied to its emotion and ambience. TOA, for example, has a lot of Hungarian/Oriental classical styled music, because the Hungarian stuff typically sounds very deep and sad (even though the vocals may not indicate that, they're in Bulgarian and I can't understand them anyway). A good example is my Black Sun videos.

MFTG and ITAS ect use very energetic, if still somewhat deep and serious, metal and big orchestral soundtracks.

Loladins of Legend uses a lot of gothic, celtic, and folklore kind of stuff.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: [Sound] Choosing music.

Post by Lavarinth »

For some reason, most of my years of wanting to map, I would listen to a song popular at the time here, and want to make something to its tempo and/or lyrics. Remember when everyone used the Final Fantasy 8 track? Something like that.. Everyone had the same setup. Huge crew appears to show up, next thing you know an epic battle ensues.

I guess it's rather.. Stereotypical to do something like that, but it seems to be the way I enjoy to do things (probably why Maglok is more in charge of music in our project). Obviously, I prefer something close to the genre however. Such as a electric instruments for more StarCraft related atmosphere while Orchestral for WarCraft. I'm not very musically inclined to be honest, but I can make anything go to music.

EDIT:
IskatuMesk wrote: With the string of Maglok topics I think it's time to break the ice a bit.
Combo breaker!!
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

i try to stick to instrumental stuff that capture the atmosphere I want to portray on the map. For instance I used some prince of persia music on some desert maps because that was the type of atmosphere I wanted to portray. Basically if it sounds pretty good and fits a video game and it fits the atmosphere, then I'll use it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Right now I'm torn between using metal pieces for AO cinematic sequences. I'm not sure if it would be fitting. I don't mean actual bands, but instrumental pieces I have lying around. I haven't yet defined a style for AO, but this video will create one.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Depends on whose perspective you want the audience to see from. The invader's or the invaded's.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

It changes perspectives at points.