A question...

Blake
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher
Terran Goliath Dome Polisher

A question...

Post by Blake »

Does floating text automatically get destroyed once its lifespan is over, or does it stay in the game eventually reaching some sort of limit?
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: A question...

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Blake wrote: Does floating text automatically get destroyed once its lifespan is over, or does it stay in the game eventually reaching some sort of limit?
Unfortunately, while it's no longer shown when the lifespan is over but it stays in memory (leaks) AND I am fairly sure it affects the limit.

What's even more annoying is that there is no event to detect the "death" of a lifespan so you have to more or less have to make your own little system of floating text for cleaning it up.

The closest system would be a every second trigger checkup to manually count the time remaining the remaining time of your floating text to truly remove them from an array variable references and such. Also include a trigger part to find an empty spot for any new floating text and time remaining in your array variables.

Note that I did a quick test before and I could only see about 200 max of floating texts (tried to show numbers 1 to 250, 201 to 250 didn't pop up from the loop) so it's pretty much something to use carefully to prevent or minimize memory leaks. Although when one was "dead", I could see sometimes see the next numbers after firing a trigger to make another more.
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.