The Story So Far... Part 2: The Brood War

Comment on our website's front-page headlines.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

The Story So Far... Part 2: The Brood War

Post by Lavarinth »

The storyline of StarCraft II takes place four years after the events of StarCraft: Brood War. Blizzard has prepared a two-part overview called The Story So Far, an opportunity for you to get up to speed with the characters, settings, and developments that lead up to StarCraft II. Read about Kerrigan's treachery as the Queen of Blades, Samir Duran's hybrid experiments, and the final events leading up to StarCraft II.

Tassadar's brave sacrifice had destroyed the Overmind, but countless rampaging zerg remained on Aiur and would surely overrun the surviving protoss. Zeratul offered sanctuary on Shakuras, the adopted home of the dark templar. Although the decision was difficult, Executor Artanis and the surviving members of the shattered Conclave agreed that their first duty was to save as many lives as possible.

Jim Raynor's forces and the protoss cut a path through the zerg to reach an ancient xel'naga warp gate, the relic of an earlier age. Using the gate, Zeratul opened a connection to a second gate on Shakuras. During the battle, Raynor and some of the protoss were cut off, but Artanis and Zeratul led many other protoss through the gate to safety on Shakuras.

For more, check out The Story So Far Part 2: The Brood War.

(News from Battle.net)
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: The Story So Far... Part 2: The Brood War

Post by RazorclawX »

Just love how they casually toss aside the Cerebrates (especially since you were playing one up to the very end of the campaign) and Aldaris in that summary.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
agentheart
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by agentheart »

yea this has been up for weeks
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

agentheart wrote: yea this has been up for weeks
But only announced a week  and not yet a half ago by Blizzard. Interesting.

Anyway- Yes, I do find it irritating that Aldaris was not even mentioned, however someone did point out it was possibly to not confuse newcomers, but common- Target the veterans of the story and indulge us with details of our historic figures.
- - Lavarinth
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Lavarinth wrote:

Anyway- Yes, I do find it irritating that Aldaris was not even mentioned, however someone did point out it was possibly to not confuse newcomers, but common- Target the veterans of the story and indulge us with details of our historic figures.
Yeah, if that's the reason, that's not a good reason at all. Those characters may not be important anymore, but they used to be. Aldaris was the first Protoss who formally greeted me...
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Legion wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:

Yeah, if that's the reason, that's not a good reason at all. Those characters may not be important anymore, but they used to be. Aldaris was the first Protoss who formally greeted me...
Nostalgia ensues.
- - Lavarinth
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Meta »

Fenix wasn't mentioned either, although he is quoted in the column right next to the main text. wtf. :P

And Artanis is still the Executor the player used to be during SC and BW! I love how Artanis talked to himself during BW... hell, he was even introduced to himself in the first BW Protoss mission. Weird aliens, those Protoss... ::)
Marine
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Marine »

Meta wrote: Fenix wasn't mentioned either, although he is quoted in the column right next to the main text. wtf. :P
Woah, I havent read that part yet but that makes me mad. Fenix was, kickass.
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3600/zergsig5smallff5.png[/img]
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

The way they wrote the summary they didn't need to mention Fenix. But the way they kept sidling the Protoss traitor is an abomination. They kept mentioning Aldaris without mentioning his name, and marginalized him as traitor.

Screw you Metzen. You suck at retconning your own story.
Last edited by RazorclawX on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

Artanis addresses you as Executor. Many times.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

tipereth wrote: Artanis addresses you as Executor. Many times.
"The Rock says.."

"The Executor says.."

Hmmmm....
- - Lavarinth
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Just a thought. Maybe they didn't want to spoil TOO much for those who haven't played SC/BW yet.

Nah.
tipereth

Post by tipereth »

'Executor, our warp drives are fucked and we can't warp in Stargates so this mission will take 7 years longer than it has any right to.'
Jadefang

Post by Jadefang »

Not mentioning Aldaris in the summary of the story and referring to him as a mere traitor is just as bad as if they would not mention that Kerrigan was once human and imply she was born as a zerg. Aldaris was by far the coolest protoss character, and the only one who was able to look through the treachery of Kerrigan.

I don't think the argument that people new to the game will not be interested in dead characters counts. A large proportion of people who are going to buy the game are ex-SC1 addicts. I know a bunch of them.

But this only reflects that the story is continuing to be the weak link of SC. I think compared to SC1 BW already was not that great anyway. I never liked it, especially after Stukov, Duke, Fenix, and Aldaris were dead (leaving only Mengsk as the last "kick-ass" character). I sincerely hope they do a better job in SC2. Personally, I think that LotC would have been the better sequel. They should have taken the Oracle& Joel under contract :) But that is getting off topic.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Jadefang wrote: I know a bunch of them.
Oh?
- - Lavarinth