Contest Ends: July 31st, 2012

Moderator: Milldawg

Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

[SCBW] Illegal Operation

Post by Taeradun »

Alias: Taeradun
Direction: I will produce a cyberpunk-themed campaign not set in the normal StarCraft universe. The story follows a hacker working with a small squad of mercenary soldiers, hired to carry out industrial espionage in a futuristic world dominated by powerful megacorporations and where (to contribute to the overuse of a stupid cliche) nothing is as it seems. Gameplay will mostly consist of hero/squad-based exploration and combat as well as frequent hacking minigames, taking place over a variety of locations within a massive metropolitan area including office complexes and slums. The initial plan is for five maps, though this may be adjusted as development progresses. The campaign will make use of modding for features such as customised unit data/graphics, tilesets and interface elements, but unfortunately due to some of the advanced modding techniques used I will only be able to officially support the Windows platform (Windows 7, XP, and ideally Vista which I don't have but is similar enough to the others and which I will hopefully get beta tester(s) using).
Taeradun

Re: [SCBW] Illegal Operation

Post by Taeradun »

reserved~
TassadarZeratul
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by TassadarZeratul »

Actually, speaking from experience, WINE can run Firegrafted mods. I know for sure that it does so on Linux, having done so myself; a guy called Hug A Zergling once said that he got FG'd mods to work with WINE on OSX.

If you're using plugins, those also work under WINE. (For that matter, if you want/need a plugin, I might be able to help, depending on what you need; I got a Windows laptop for Christmas, so I can do plugin work again.)
Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Campaign Creations »

Approved, and thanks for your submission.
HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by HelpMe »

Cyberpunk has a special place in my heart. Reminds me of my old days playing Shadowrun for the SNES.

Looking forward to what you have in store.
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

So far I've been experimenting with various modding things and made a start on some of the graphics and dat editing, but I haven't even opened SCMDraft yet (or StarEdit, lol) - my current development schedule is to try and get one map done per month from January to May (coinciding with the monthly "sprints" for the contest's progress updates), which then leaves me with an extra two months for voicing/beta testing/cleanup/schedule overflow. The plan for five maps might be changed though - some maps (most likely the fifth one, if any) might end up too large, and I'm just now considering axing part of the first map and merging the rest into the second map (they're both fairly introductory with the main action not starting until the third). Anyway it's still a month until the first proper update is due so we'll see how it goes!
TassadarZeratul wrote:Actually, speaking from experience, WINE can run Firegrafted mods. I know for sure that it does so on Linux, having done so myself; a guy called Hug A Zergling once said that he got FG'd mods to work with WINE on OSX.
Yeah, I thought it would probably work in WINE, but like I said, I can only officially support Windows; if people get it working in other wacky operating systems then that's a nice bonus. Also thanks for the offer with the plugins, but I should have that covered myself. :)
HelpMe wrote:Cyberpunk has a special place in my heart. Reminds me of my old days playing Shadowrun for the SNES.
;D

I'd already thought of the old 90s Shadowrun console games and it's quite likely some of the tileset work for my campaign will be "inspired" by that SNES one.
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

Still slacking away from actual map production, but today I wasted time on some fun yet totally pointless UI stuff, hooray!

To fit with the cyberpunk theme, the user selection screen is now a login screen for the game world's Metropolitan Network.

(actual screenshot)

More of that badass font in action:
Example
(using example text from the existing Brood War campaign)
Also yeah I decided to axe the first map as mentioned previously, since it didn't really add anything.
HelpMe

Post by HelpMe »

Ha! That looks cool. Nice work.

If I may ask, do you intend to have a a skill system or a recruitment system? You know, RPG-esque stuff?
Evilhog

Post by Evilhog »

This custom UI looks awesome, Taeradun! Are you using some modified palette or the standard one?
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

HelpMe wrote:If I may ask, do you intend to have a a skill system or a recruitment system? You know, RPG-esque stuff?
When I was initially brainstorming ideas for my contest entry, I thought of a skills/level up system but didn't really include that idea in the plans for this campaign so probably not :-\ (I've got enough feature creep with the visuals without having to worry about gameplay elements lol)

Also what do you mean by recruitment system? Hiring NPC characters to join your party? There will kind of be a bit of that in the last two maps but only pretty simple so probably not what you mean; nothing where you select the recruit with the best stats out of several candidates, or pay them to join you, etc. (3rd map will just have simple plot events where NPC(s) decide to temporarily join you, 4th map has hackable computers that give you control over security droids & turrets as optional sidequests)
Evilhog wrote:This custom UI looks awesome, Taeradun! Are you using some modified palette or the standard one?
Yeah that pic is using a custom palette. (in the bottom right you can see where I tried to hide the mouse pointer because I haven't fixed arrow.grp for the new palette yet :P)
HelpMe

Post by HelpMe »

Taeradun wrote: Also what do you mean by recruitment system? Hiring NPC characters to join your party?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Like character X has good firepower but requires a sizable amount of money, character Y has healing but low HP etc, and you choose between the options available. Maybe I'm asking too much heheh
4th map has hackable computers that give you control over security droids & turrets as optional sidequests)
Ohh that's a fun concept.

Hope you release a screenie soon.
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

didn't want that prize anyway~
HelpMe

Post by HelpMe »

What, you're quitting? Don't! I was so looking forward to this. Cyberpunk must live! D:
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

TAER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Y U BALE ON UR CAMPANE

OMFG U HAK IM GONA RIPORT U U FAGOT
Ours is a thought-tormented age.
Taeradun