Page 3 of 7

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:28 pm
by Taeradun
Dem0nS1ayer wrote:I'm not sure if I can make an awesome masterpiece like this. D:
maybe in nine months you could

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:48 am
by Linaze
Nine months. Half a month for planning and another half for testing, balancing and removing bugs. Eight months remaining. One map per month, pretty much. Sounds doable.

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:35 am
by Taeradun
technically there's only 8 months til the contest ends though

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:28 am
by Taeradun
the campaign can take place in an entirely different universe right?

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:05 am
by Lavarinth
Taeradun wrote:the campaign can take place in an entirely different universe right?


Yes, sir.

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:05 pm
by TassadarZeratul
I suppose I could give this a shot.

@Brood War people: If I can get GPTP working under WINE, I'll throw together a quick-and-dirty storage plugin for anyone to use. ;0

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:44 am
by HelpMe
TassadarZeratul wrote:@Brood War people: If I can get GPTP working under WINE, I'll throw together a quick-and-dirty storage plugin for anyone to use. ;0


What is a storage plugin? Just curious.

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:53 pm
by Dem0nS1ayer
I think it's a plugin to store tech information that can be used for the next map. For example, if you unlock a tank in one map, the plugin will store that data so that the tank is buildable in all maps from then on.

Or maybe it's something completely different. :|

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:01 pm
by TassadarZeratul
Not exactly, though that is one use. ...Basically, it would let you write stuff to a text file and then read it back later. So, you could have the above scenario, where getting access to tanks in one mission lets you use them in future missions; however, you could also use it in other ways, such as giving the player some extra (non-plot-critical) heroes who can be lost, but don't show up in future missions if they are, etc.

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:00 pm
by IskatuMesk
HelpMe wrote:
TassadarZeratul wrote:@Brood War people: If I can get GPTP working under WINE, I'll throw together a quick-and-dirty storage plugin for anyone to use. ;0


What is a storage plugin? Just curious.


Code information for Firegraft. Think Thundergraft, Limit Expander, other stuff of that level. Ultimately it equates to reverse engineering the game.

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:57 am
by Linaze
So, who else is planning to join? :)

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:13 am
by HelpMe
IskatuMesk wrote:Code information for Firegraft. Think Thundergraft, Limit Expander, other stuff of that level. Ultimately it equates to reverse engineering the game.


Sounds powerful. I just googled Limit Expander, is it still unstable or has it been improved? Seems like you used it for AO, did it work fine?

Linaze wrote:So, who else is planning to join?


No one, you'll be the winner by default. Unless I decide to join, in which case you'll still get 1st place, with me scoring a very distant 2nd.

Jokes aside, I know of a few individuals who will no doubt take a shot at this thing. Just wait and see...

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:25 am
by Linaze
Good to hear. The more contestants the more competition the more fun.

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:43 am
by Church
Linaze wrote:So, who else is planning to join? :)

Me! :eegads:
I have a project in mind, I just figured I'd wait and have a bit more to show before making my thread.

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:16 am
by IskatuMesk
HelpMe wrote:
IskatuMesk wrote:Code information for Firegraft. Think Thundergraft, Limit Expander, other stuff of that level. Ultimately it equates to reverse engineering the game.


Sounds powerful. I just googled Limit Expander, is it still unstable or has it been improved? Seems like you used it for AO, did it work fine?


AO has an unsolvable crash I accounted to the limit expander but, to be honest, I don't really know. The limit expander is kind of like the dark age of technology and DoA wasn't even sure how it worked at all when I came to him with that issue so many years ago. I can't guarantee you it'd be stable, or if it was even the reason why AO was crashing.

Remembering, you're not just dealing with your own code in this stuff, but the horrific trainwreck that is Blizzard's code as well. Something as hackish as the limit expander no doubt can upset the equilibrium of lard that is intern soup.

/e

As for the contest I was considering joining but I think I'll save myself the embarrassment.