JetCraft

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: JetCraft

Post by IskatuMesk »

I am 99% sure the only reason herc called that a mod was because he knew it would rustle my jimmies.

I didn't actually think someone else would try to extend that troll.

That is aside from my opinions about sc2, which aren't all entirely negative.
Chriso
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by Chriso »

a
Last edited by Chriso on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#steehlrain
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

If it functioned like sins or supcom, yeah. Basically, in games that support mods, you can flick a switch and overwrite basically everything in the game.

The dependency system in sc2 is exactly as its named entails - it depends on maps to access those. Therefore, of course, you're also restricted by all the publishing bullshit. Aside from that, it also means the dependencies are limited to the same sandbox limitations of the maps.

Something that works on a lower level, like let's say those team color mods, will be effectively working "closer" to the game. You'll experience the effects everywhere, including those complex dependency chains.

I imagine the reason Blizzard did not implement such a system is because of things like sync issues and achievements, but Sins and other games typically solve that by generating hash checksums for mods that are unique to every build, and therefore prevent those kinds of problems. Of course, by their nature of activating locally, they also don't require any kind of battle.net activity outside of normal games or whatever maps you are playing on.

I mean, it wouldn't be a big deal if the game supported unrestricted local hosting. But sc2 was basically made with global dependencies in mind, we just can't do anything with it without the risk of being banned on the spot, which is very much unlike wc3 where you could happily run hacked executables without worry.
Chriso

Post by Chriso »

a
Last edited by Chriso on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#steehlrain
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I imagine so. Someone probably let loose the word that you can use clientside changes to gain serious advantages in some games (sounds and graphics are both clientside and generally do NOT desync if you change them, guess what you can do with that information), so they decided to shut down the entire concept instead of provide an alternative for people who want to work with that kind of an environment.

It sucks, but these days if you have the skills to make a full TC in sc2 you're better off using something like Unreal and making an actual game. It would be close to the same amount of work.
Chriso

Post by Chriso »

a
Last edited by Chriso on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#steehlrain
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The UDK is entirely free, and there are other toolsets out there that also went free, though some with certain (sometimes very limiting) stipulations.

Do what you enjoy doing. Be it a map, a mod, or something larger, if you enjoy it, don't let technical garbage hold you back.
Chriso

Post by Chriso »

a
Last edited by Chriso on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#steehlrain
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Then that isn't the best route for you. Some people will find that spot perfectly fine for them. I may hold a lot of reservations about sc2, but I'll never tell someone to drop mapping or whatever just because of that. If you find the game restricting, then I would say "check out the UDK". But yeah, you are very much starting from the ground up in terms of assets. For me, that's okay, because I'm reaching the stage where I can make virtually any asset I want. I could just as easily do that in sc2, too - their 3ds max exporter works way better than the user-made one currently public. And I just might. But it wouldn't be a very serious project, because then the limits would really be holding me back.
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

Chriso wrote:Well, professional gaming journalists disagree:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/07/blizz ... ft-2-mods/
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You actually think games journalists are professional? Do you also think that they actually write their own articles and don't just copy and paste shit found on the internet?

Games "journalists" are a bunch of paid shills who grew up wanting to make video games, realized they had no mathematical ability and went to some shitty liberal arts college. They were then told they were shit by every other journalistic field and now spend their days writing opinion pieces about feminism and how shitty people who play video games are. When they're not doing that they just copy and paste random shit that people email them and claim it's an inside source or they copy and paste other websites news.

Also you're really dumb if you don't know the difference between a map and a mod.
Chriso

Post by Chriso »

a
Last edited by Chriso on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#steehlrain
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Anita Bonghit is the only Anita I know.
Chriso

Post by Chriso »

a
Last edited by Chriso on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#steehlrain
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

She's not even correct with the claims that sexism exists in games to the extent that she argues it does, let alone that it's a problem in the first place. Sexism in its most base form is differentiating between genders, not oppressing the rights and privileges of one gender or providing better rights and privileges of another. People like Anita won't be satisfied until you have no distinction between the male and female genders, which means homongenising much of the current human psychology on both sides.

And lol, games journalists.
Chriso

Post by Chriso »

a
Last edited by Chriso on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#steehlrain