SC2 Campaigns?

Story
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

SC2 Campaigns?

Post by Story »

Hi,

I have been looking for SC2 campaigns for quite a while. I've been a long time fan of this website. However, I can't seem to find any campaigns that have been released yet. I am really looking for a thoughtful story, so great single maps would work nicely, too. I haven't gotten used to the SC2 website terrain yet, so I don't know of any other sites to visit except scmapster. So I have 2 questions for you:

1) Please direct me toward any campaigns that have been released, or great story-based single maps
2) please direct me toward any major websites (like this one) that focus on map making, so I can try to keep up to date.

Thanks!
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Re: SC2 Campaigns?

Post by Alevice »

I think so far the answer for question number one is this.

As for number two, there is sc2c.org and another site i forgot to bookmark where
Story

Post by Story »

Seems like your first link didn't work :) Hopefully that isn't the case... there must be some scrappy ones of fairly good quality strung together by now, as the game has been out for a while.

Thanks for sc2c site. Would be happy to get that other site from you, if you can find it

still open to suggestions
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

SC2 isn't a very custom campaign friendly platform at this point in time, and that's really stifled a lot of production we might have otherwise had. Still, there's The Oracle's remake and final episode of Legacy of the Confederacy in production and, uh... that's about it.
Story

Post by Story »

"SC2 isn't a very custom campaign friendly platform at this point in time"

Can you elaborate please?
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Story wrote:"SC2 isn't a very custom campaign friendly platform at this point in time"

Can you elaborate please?
Since Blizzard disabled local hosting of maps in SC2, you can't share campaigns like you used to be able to for SC1 and WC3. To play a map, you're required to upload it to B.net, but each account is limited to a maximum of ten maps and up to 50MB of data. This makes for a short campaign, and severely limits the amount of custom content you can use. There are ways to work around this, but it's annoying and not many people really want to have jump through hoops.

Blizzard will likely increase the upload limits of B.net overtime, and they have said that they're looking at support for custom campaigns in the future. Sadly, campaign support is not one of their top priorities, so it'll be a while yet.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I doubt any support they add will ever allow for campaigns even half the scale of any major sc/wc3 campaign for the simple fact that arbitrary size limits will always be an issue. The lack of local hosting or offline play is utterly ridiculous and the root of all the problems with custom content in this trainwreck right now.

I'm sorry sir, but expect a remake of wc3 - nothing's going to happen for a very long time.
johnnythewolf
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by johnnythewolf »

The lack of local hosting is a very convenient excuse. The STALKER series is infamous for its lack of a proper SDK release as well as its reliance on workarounds in order to play mods. Yet, despite the half-assed tools, the buggy and cumbersome engine and other infuriating limitations, the community has managed to release lots of kickass mods and, more recently, custom maps.

Just look at DjBaker's Purity of Form campaign: so, it seem to be well on its way. I'm doing some mapping for him right now to help speed up things.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is also SP/local only, as you may or may not have noticed SC2 is PURELY ONLINE.

You are limited to everyone having to open up your map in the editor and pressing test map and you can't have any form of co-op campaigns either.

If it wasn't painfully obvious I'm talking about campaigns that actually carry assets of their own that aren't recycling SC2's miniscule amount of units.

Maybe you should get off their cock before you turn into WB.
johnnythewolf

Post by johnnythewolf »

Hunter_Killers wrote:You are limited to everyone having to open up your map in the editor and pressing test map and you can't have any form of co-op campaigns either.
Me wrote:The STALKER series is infamous for its lack of a proper SDK release as well as its reliance on workarounds in order to play mods.
And those workarounds, despite being annoying and unintuitive as hell, haven't prevented the creation of some great mods and maps. Yeah, it sucks that Blizzard's hosting system sucks, but for the time being, we'll have to cope with it if we want to play something else than official stuff.

Maybe you should stop whining and start doing some actual mapping for a change. This site is called CAMPAIGN CREATIONS, after all, not COMPLAINER'S CONGLOMERATION.
mAc Chaos
Zerg Zergling Groomer
Zerg Zergling Groomer

Post by mAc Chaos »

So, where are your maps?
http://sanctuary-inc.net/
johnnythewolf

Post by johnnythewolf »

In the workings. I'm currently terraining and doodading the final map for DjBaker's "Purity of Form" campaign project.
mAc Chaos
Zerg Zergling Groomer
Zerg Zergling Groomer

Post by mAc Chaos »

WHAT.

Well then.
http://sanctuary-inc.net/
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

johnnythewolf wrote:
Hunter_Killers wrote:You are limited to everyone having to open up your map in the editor and pressing test map and you can't have any form of co-op campaigns either.
Me wrote:The STALKER series is infamous for its lack of a proper SDK release as well as its reliance on workarounds in order to play mods.
And those workarounds, despite being annoying and unintuitive as hell, haven't prevented the creation of some great mods and maps. Yeah, it sucks that Blizzard's hosting system sucks, but for the time being, we'll have to cope with it if we want to play something else than official stuff.

Maybe you should stop whining and start doing some actual mapping for a change. This site is called CAMPAIGN CREATIONS, after all, not COMPLAINER'S CONGLOMERATION.
You're overlooking the tiny fact that making workarounds in SC2 will likely get you banned from B.net and reduce your copy of SC2 to barely functional. Not exactly good incentive to try and make things work. Just sayin'.
johnnythewolf

Post by johnnythewolf »

That is, if you use hacks and third-party tools. Using F9 or Drag 'N Dropping a map file on SC2.exe shouldn't be illegal, AFAIK, or Blizzard would not have allowed it in the first place. In fact, it works pretty much like SC1's UMS system, if not better, as it gives you direct access to the map instead of forcing you to go all the way to the Custom Mission Menu. It'll have to do until Blizz comes up with a proper campaign hosting service, but hey, I've seen worse workarounds.

Alternatively, if you're too afraid that Blizzard bans you for whatever reason, just do like me, The Oracle and DjBaker: focus on making your campaign first, then worry about publishing later.