SC2 Campaigns?

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: SC2 Campaigns?

Post by IskatuMesk »

I don't know. I had still wanted to make Astrocock sometime but I think I'll conserve my time and resources for something I *know* will work out and see how the future unfolds.
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Meta »

I've yet to buy SC2... been playing at a friend's and, while I really like the game itself, the publishing issue and the lack of a proper campaign format suck. However, one might still get around it... but I've two questions for those who have tried the editor already and are somewhat experienced with it.

One of my projects involves going back and forth between maps, like a more complex "Founding of Durotar" type of campaign which makes extensive use of game caches, constantly leaving and reloading maps. Since Oracle's said that one cannot currently use "set next map" triggers, I don't think there's a way to implement such a system yet. Is there?

My other doubt is about game cache. Is it present in SC2? Is it similar to WC3 game caches?

The other projects are more straightforward campaigns and, while I'd like to see the Rexxar-like project completed, the - assumed - lack of a proper "set next map" trigger will prevent me from working on it unless Blizzard comes up with the highly desired campaign support. :(
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Caches, known as Banks now, would probably be one bonus but ricky would be the person to ask about them.

The thing about banks is they are basic text files and can easily be edited/cheated by the end user unless you have some ridiculous encryption system. I remember talking to the maker of Catalyst about this and she was telling me it's basically impossible to make a heavy encryption system. If you are fine with that, then it may work for you.
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Meta »

Hmmm, sounds good enough for me.

What about the "set next map" thingy being used as a complex device for a Rexxar-like campaign that involves going back and forth between maps? Possible or not?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

At the moment? No. Ricky had a way to get things to work but I don't know if it will function for you. I'll presume that since Oracle and co can't get it to work that it's not viable currently.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Set next map works on local files. Aunfortunately it doesn't with published files. Banks are pretty much game caches that work online (at fcking last)
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

The Oracle wrote:@ All: You guys; the map editor can do anything you want it to do. It can do a campaign or SC2's version of Bejeweled or Missile Command or Tower Defense maps or, again, Campaigns.

The only thing you can't do is publish a campaign on Battle.net or connect the maps with triggers. Small limitation that's likely temporary. Write your story; make your maps. People will play your campaign regardless of the above.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

You are too optimistic for your own good. Tone it down, bro.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

You would have more credibility if you didnt come up with stuff like "I have yet to run across someone who's used the editor who actually likes it. "
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

My credibility is infallible because I state only facts.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Facts are often backed by a source or notable evidence.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I like the editor.
- - Lavarinth
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Same. I know Sreg likes it too.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

As does Oracle and Maglok.
- - Lavarinth
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Such as? I've already given reasoning for Oracle, and dabbling does not count as "using". You've had to at least put in as much effort into the editor as I did to count as "using" it. As such, I've yet to meet anyone who has used the editor and actually genuinely likes it. All I see are chodes trying to stick it to the man to make themselves feel good rather than actually providing any substantial grounds for disproving any claims made by individuals who've actually invested time in the editor and demonstrably encountered its glaring issues.

You want notable evidence to support my conclusions? What do you want; examples of my work?

For the simple fact that HKS and I were modding the game less than a week into beta and screwed with it all throughout until the editor finally came, and then created individual maps and test beds in the editor pre and post release, without a doubt the last three months have been invested into performance testing the game and challenging notions of the editor derived from our experiences in beta. All individuals I have spoken to outside of clueless fanboys who have scarcely touched the surface of simple experiments or circle jerked over the premise of concepts have expressed frustration and disinterest in the game as a result of the editor or the editor's limitations. The editor has regressed significantly from warcraft 3 in many manners and this alone has turned off most veteran mappers. Those who are new and fresh to the editor and press on do so in the vain hope it will improve, and also that censorship will vanish/local hosting will become available, for the extreme amount of effort placed into simple functions within the editor will be rendered irrelevant long before they ever get to serious work.

If you are so naive or innocent enough that you genuinely believe the editor is good then I pity you, but it doesn't change the fact you haven't approached the editor from enough of a significant point to classify as actually having "used" it and thus my point remains for if you had actually used it you would have come to the exact same conclusions I have and all others experienced with it have.

I do not tire of your prattle, for it amuses me. But I speak exclusively from my experience with the game across many months and with my interactions in communities and with individuals who actually have some experience with the game and its ancestors. As such, from my perspective, everything I have stated thus far is a fact derived from such observations and discussions.
I like the editor.
A perfect specimen of why you don't count. :)

Oracle does not like the editor, I know that for a fact, simply by the way he's written his posts present and past. He's the only one out of you three who actually matters.