"Not-so-Nasty" problem occurred whilst playing SC2

Theia_Loki
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

"Not-so-Nasty" problem occurred whilst playing SC2

Post by Theia_Loki »

Edit: Problem has finally been fixed. A memory stick wasn't pushed in all the way, and a couple cables of the power supply came undone. There we go, rotten problem solved.

A heads-up for a personal issue that happened with me whilst on SC2.

A link to the thread I made thoroughly explaining the problem.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/777747925
After starting up with the campaign it gets to the prologue FMV, then at some point the Display I was using (a SHARP TV Display) decided to reset it's current input and went black. The sound was still going, but roughly 10 or so seconds later it starts making this bvuuuuuu sound. This being the second time it occurred, I turned off the display thinking that was the case; it wasn't, so I quickly/instinctively shut the computer off.
I have no idea why this is happening to me. It couldn't be hardware issues, so I've no idea what is going on with it.
I also made sure to mention my hardware stuff, just to give an idea as to what my newer computer has.

Ricky knows about it since I PMed him about it yesterday.
Last edited by Theia_Loki on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Nasty problem occurred whilst playing SC2

Post by IskatuMesk »

How are you sure it's not hardware issues?

It seems unlikely but you cannot discount the possibility.

My first advice is to try using an actual monitor. The buzzing sound is likely coming from your speakers - have you verified this? Chances are that, if this is the case, it's nothing to be worried about and is simply and indicator that windows has hardlocked and the sound drivers with it.

Speaking of drivers, make sure you're fully up to date (10.9b or somesuch is the latest ati driver atm).

By FMV do you mean the CGI or the ingame cinematics? If it's the CGI, it could be you need codecs of some sort (though this also seems unlikely since it wouldn't start at all). If it's the ingame cinematics, which is what I am presuming, the first step is to eliminate the obvious factors like drivers.

Do you hear the card's fan going when idling in battle.net? Does your bios/CPU-Z indicate any kind of a heat issue? Again, this seems unlikely, but it's good to check if you are uncertain.
Theia_Loki

Post by Theia_Loki »

It's the opening FMV (in-game graphics) at the start of the Sc2 campaign, where it opens up with Raynor in a bar with the news going on.

Now that you mention it, I really ought to check the video card. Not sure if the sound drivers are up to date; I had gotten the new computer around tuesday and paid for the hard drive wednesday, and hadn't checked on it since friday this week.
As for the fan, I'm not sure if it is heating issues; asides from any fans in there the tower case has plenty of ventilation, and by ventilation I'm talking neat grate-like openings along the sides, front, and top.

Yeah, I definitely need to use an actual monitor instead of that bastard Television Display (I tend to use it for console games and it works just fine). Thankfully, it isn't a sign that it was about to explode on me...yet.

Better run Sc2 again and listen closely for the video card's fan. I just hope it doesn't leave me with really messed up hair and black stuff on my face from any possible explosions.

Edit: Okay, so I tried again and noticed that it sounded like there was one less fan running (right when the screen went black....again >.<). Thankfully, no loud buzzing sound (in fact, it was so quiet it's almost non-existant except from hearing as good as mine).

Looks like I'll have to ask dad about using an entirely different display monitor. Last thing I want to do is try doing it myself and find out I royally screwed up doing so. Better being cautious; a very very cautious...loli.
Theia_Loki

Post by Theia_Loki »

Finally decided to open the case up at the side and keep a close eye on the fans whilst the problem occurred again. Turns out none of them were failing. RAM didn't seem to have heated up, and the Video card seems to still be alright.
Come to think of it, the buzzing sound went from extremely quiet to getting moderately loud. And this was happening whilst the sound was at first still going, then starting to go buzzing away.

Now I'm starting to wonder if there's a spare Monitor that I can use instead of the current one.

(Note: As for the case, it's hilariously called "Cooler Master." The Irony.)
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

well make sure your drivers are update. If you didn't manually go to ATI/AMD's website, download them, install them, and then restart, they're not updated.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Update the drivers, as Isk has said, SC2 is very reliant on newer drivers.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Theia_Loki

Post by Theia_Loki »

That's definitely on my priorities list, but I have no idea if dad installed the newest drivers (he got the computer working whilst I was at college).
Might as well ask him when he finally wakes up after getting enough sleep since he got home from a late shift this morning.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: "Not-so-Nasty" problem occurred whilst playing SC2

Post by IskatuMesk »

or you can just check yourself? Look at the CCC panel. If you have no CCC panel you have no drivers.
Theia_Loki

Post by Theia_Loki »

Dad didn't get to updating the drivers, as it turns out. Wasn't able to do so myself since I had to work today.

And the troubles continue, but in a different manner when Dad turns the computer back on. It starts beeping before it even comes through with starting up....twice. There goes updating the drivers myself tonight. >.<

Either way, I'd better check to see if that bastard of a display still works with my console games before checking up on it tomorrow.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

uh... does it actually start or does it just beep and do nothing? Because if it's the latter that is a pretty serious issue.

One of my older computers always beeped when it started but it wasn't a warning or anything. If you get a series of beeps and nothing happens that is a warning, and a serious one at that, related to hardware.

At least that's what I remember reading. You got some weird shit going on bro.
Lwerewolf
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by Lwerewolf »

Buzzing sound when everything is running fine otherwise and it's coming from the PC, not the speakers? That's coil whine most likely. My 2 years old PSU (FSP Everest) had those problems and well... Couldn't sustain my HD4870 eating more than 54 amps from the VDDCs (extreme coil whine right there) and it just wouldn't boot with my 5850 xcept if it was "cold", so to say (i.e. hasn't been on for like 15 mins or so, I did hold the power button on w/o the power cord before attempting). Guess it was too old. As for windows hardlocking - my 4870 did that very often and it was due to PowerPlay. Surprise, surprise. And those punks haven't released an option to turn it off yet despite the outrages T_T.

Otherwise, check the motherboard beep sound code for the issue. If your card has diagnostic LEDs - check that too (most of the high-end HD4K series had them). If it turns out your VGA is fried - CHECK THE PSU. This is a great site if you're looking for a new one. Also HardForum.
Anyways good luck and keep us updated :)
Theia_Loki

Post by Theia_Loki »

Thankfully, the display television still works (was able to play my N64 for a good bit and had no problems). Definitely something with the hardware.

@IskatuMesk> It's the latter. Right after getting turned on it just beeps and does nothing. Same thing occurred when I turned it on this morning.

@Lwerewolf> Coil whine? That explains the buzzing sound prior to the beeping. Now it's going to turn into a hunt to locate where that beeping is coming from.

As some extra info, the video card happens to be a product from Saphire, and includes vapor-x cooling. Is 4 fans at the least too much?

Edit: Sounds like it's coming from the Motherboard, if not the Video Card. *sigh*
Edit2: Now that I think about it, and with the motherboard manual in front of me, it appears it was making 9 beeps then pausing for a few seconds before doing 9 beeps again. BIOS ROM error. :eegads:
Lwerewolf

Post by Lwerewolf »

Ok get the motherboard serviced. And CHECK THE POWER SUPPLY. You TOTALLY want a good one. Bad ones, well... Google on why you need a good PSU and you'll deff get in the mindset :) . I don't know how much you'll need but I think a solid 550-650W PSU should do it(check the rails ofc). Good brands - seasonic, corsair, PCP&C(PC power and cooling)... There are others too (FSP/Fortron used to be good but their high power units appear to be... lacking so deff read on this, I think OCZ used FSP units too. About PCP&C - I think they're an OCZ division now, however their PSUs are still good... anyways google everything hard). Good luck, keep us posted.
GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

This is a gigabyte mobo, it's VERY easy to update Bios in this one. You should try that, if it's software problem it should be fixed with that. Also if you PSU is not supplying enough power to your pc, all kind of weird shit might start happening really. BIOS ROM failure out of the blue JUST IN SC 2 seems like one. If the BIOS is borked i seriously doubt you are going to be able to boot the thing up in the first place.

Also cooler master cases are good, I have one and for it's price it's great.
Theia_Loki

Post by Theia_Loki »

Okay. It's finally fixed; Dad brought it to Bestbyte whilst I was at work.
It turns out it wasn't a problem with the BIOS ROM thing (her-de-derp, darn), but two overlooked things:
a) Memory stick (the guy who put it together didn't push it in all the way)
b) Power cable, plus one for video, came undone

It goes to show that if all else fails, always turn to the guys that build the computer for you.

So now it's working. And there's only one thing I have to say: Whooohoo!!