Seeking voice actors for Purity of Form campaign

DJBaker
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Seeking voice actors for Purity of Form campaign

Post by DJBaker »

I'm looking to cast two male parts and one female for my upcoming campaign, SC2: Purity of Form.

You can check out the project page here: http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/purity-form/

If you're interested, please record the audition lines listed for the part(s) you might want and email me the sound files at djbaker@grad.com. Ideally, I'd like to get all auditions by Sept. 20, but if you need more time just let me know.

Main character needed, with audition lines:

Ryan Kligsen. Male, 30s. This is the mercenary main character. A hard-boiled, hard-ass hero type, possibly Western-inspired. Could go a lot of different ways with this character.

"Those who sell bootleg fuel should be prepared to take on the local law. If he can't do that, Robbie deserves what's coming."

"You do wrong by her, there *will* be trouble."

Minor characters needed: 10-20 lines.

Colonial marshal. Male. A corrupt local cop who loses in a showdown with Kligsen. Should have a Southern or Texas accent.

"I do what I want with what's mine. Lorie, for example. Come with me, darlin'."

Lorie. 20s or 30s, female. An on-and-off girlfriend of Kligsen killed by the marshal. Could have a Southern accent, or not.

"He's my brother, Ryan. You know he can't stand up against the marshal."

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Seeking voice actors for Purity of Form campaign

Post by IskatuMesk »

I see some text and no indication of the campaign being near completion, so I don't think anyone is going to take a bite. Perhaps you could post some more info - gameplay video, screenshots, an estimation of how far the project currently is and all that.

I know that I definitely won't be voicing anything that isn't at least 90% finished seeing as almost all projects I've done voices for died long before the voices were ever used.
DJBaker

Post by DJBaker »

Interesting. I've gotten a number of auditions already from SC2mapster people.

The campaign will be released in two stages. The first stage will be 3 briefing and background cinematics and 2 missions, the second stage 3 cinematics and 3 missions.

The first stage is probably half done. I've been working on it for a month along with bits of the second stage. The three cinematics are all done except voices and filling names in on the credits, except I may fiddle with some doodads. The first mission is in playable condition but needs some difficulty-tuning work. The second mission is unfinished but coming along. Terrain is all done, units and triggers perhaps half done.

Having read your long article on making a project work, I've been hesitant to release unfinished "alpha" maps the way people often do on SC2mapster.

Would you recommend screen shots from within the editor to show my progress, or in-game shots? Where should I post them?
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

DJBaker wrote:Would you recommend screen shots from within the editor to show my progress, or in-game shots? Where should I post them?
Personally, I would recommend in-game shots mostly except the stuff that are better shown from within the editor. Even some preview videos could help generate interest either for getting help or just more publicity in general.

As for posting them, attachment are fine for screenshots and youtube could be used for your videos.

However, I warn you that it will be very difficult to attract help from this site since many are more experienced, have their own projects and less available time. On top of it, we know by experience that too many projects just fall and you as a stranger, yours can easily be just yet another one.

Nothing personal but we do dislike to lose to put a lot of helping time for a project that could crumble the next day. Thus solid help is only likely to come when your project is from fairly advanced to close to finished.

My recommendations are more likely to help you on SC2Mapster than here.

EDIT : The closest help you would benefit most from here would be advice for various aspects of mapmaking.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

DJBaker, you have to understand this site is purely dedicated to the creation of campaigns for the past decade. We know how they work, and how they're created. The general process for someone, as yourself (a creator), is to recognize that beauty for projects (graphics and audio) are not the main priority for creating a project. The basics (maps, triggers) is the heart and soul in the end, and no matter how glorious your audio and graphics may be, they cannot cover up blotchy mapping and triggers.

You are correct that too much attention to a project will make creators lose interest in projects due to the negativity of viewers' comments as they don't comprehend what it means to be in an 'alpha' stage at SC2mapster, while we do. We're not here to tear your map apart, most situations end up with positive suggestions.

However, what Isk says is true, the more details you are the more we can believe you are truly interested in completing this project. As you've said, you have accomplished the three cinematics, why not share one with us as it would also help us know who it is being voiced. We're suckers for videos, we all are. I would suggest, though, you simply release something to tease folks on your progress in the main thread, let them know you're truly busy and working on this.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
DJBaker

Post by DJBaker »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: Personally, I would recommend in-game shots mostly except the stuff that are better shown from within the editor. Even some preview videos could help generate interest either for getting help or just more publicity in general.
Hm. I'd rather not have anything un-voiced on youtube, since I think starcraft videos without voice acting are really boring and off-putting. I do intend to put up a trailer there once I have voices.

I'll certainly put together some screenshots for you guys. Another thread will appear shortly.
However, I warn you that it will be very difficult to attract help from this site since many are more experienced, have their own projects and less available time. On top of it, we know by experience that too many projects just fall and you as a stranger, yours can easily be just yet another one.
Good to know. As I said, except for the female voice, I've been able to gather enough auditions to fill the spots I need. I was really just posting an ad here to see if I might get another couple good auditions, especially for the girl (may have to start asking non-gamer friends otherwise). If that's unlikely, not a problem.
Lavarinth wrote:DJBaker, you have to understand this site is purely dedicated to the creation of campaigns for the past decade. We know how they work, and how they're created. The general process for someone, as yourself (a creator), is to recognize that beauty for projects (graphics and audio) are not the main priority for creating a project. The basics (maps, triggers) is the heart and soul in the end, and no matter how glorious your audio and graphics may be, they cannot cover up blotchy mapping and triggers.
Certainly, and I don't recall saying anything to the contrary. It does seem to me that putting together a map and doing the voices for that map are both time-consuming processes, and I'd rather be getting both done simultaneously if possible.

Now, put yourself in my position. I have two of the three main parts cast already, and one really good audition for the third. Wouldn't it be ideal for me to get the voice actors cast and working before my project is 90% done, given that I've almost finished that process in the first place?

Besides which, I'd like my playtesters to have a finished-feeling, fun product to play with insofar as possible. To me, that means including the voices before I send the maps to my friends to be tested.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

There are many ways to approaching designing your project and your assets. As a developer I always invest heavily into graphics and sounds production before mechanics beyond the fundamentals even though most people will tell you to do the otherwise. It's as you say - to keep inspiration and motivation on the project. It's a part of my immersion-based GEC's.

But the mindset is different when someone asks of me to devote my work to a project that is not my own. For I have wasted many, many hours of work - not just on people I don't know but veteran members of our community who asked of me no small task that was then completely wasted.

Nowadays I don't accept requests from anyone unless I either absolutely know they will finish the project (LoTC, VE) or their project is already near finished. Because I get absolutely no benefit from voicing another person's project (I don't even accept monetary payment), while mine I at least have the satisfaction of bringing something in my world to life.

Sc2mapster is still a very young site and community, caught up in the moment of sc2's release. When a year passes major project activity will probably sharply cut off as all of the energetic minds realize that the dedication and time demand is too much for them, and they'll stop working, just like SC1 and wc3. There are a billion and one voice actors out there and maybe 1% of them are really capable of doing the real deal. Depending on what you're looking for yeah, you might be able to pick up what you need at mapster, and that's great dude I look forward to seeing your voiced cinematics because I think people really undervalue sound design these days.

I can't even get most people here to voice my projects without a huge wait time and a really inspirational pep talk, though. You really do need to make a big impression. And if you can impress us, they'll worship you elsewhere.

Female voice actors are an entirely different beast. I had fun trying to find one for the Fallen Hero for Armageddon Onslaught. I had to look far beyond the borders of the Blizzard community to find her, and even then it wasn't easy. If you know any girlies who can act, gamers or not, snag that bro. I know a few girls but none of them have really acted. I'll have to teach them from the ground up, but if they are willing, then I'm gold. If not, then I have to look far and wide again. But I don't ask for outside acting until I'm almost done my work because I know people are going to ask themselves, "am I wasting my time with this guy's project?"

I don't want to show my whole project, I just want to show something that really catches your eye and inspires your heart. If I can achieve that then I'm good. I don't even release my projects publicly anymore.

If you can finish your project you will make a lasting impression that will be with you forever. It's making that defining moment that is the tough part.
DJBaker

Post by DJBaker »

But the mindset is different when someone asks of me to devote my work to a project that is not my own. For I have wasted many, many hours of work - not just on people I don't know but veteran members of our community who asked of me no small task that was then completely wasted.
I totally understand. I certainly didn't expect legends like the guy who did LOTC to jump at the drop of a hat and sign on to voice for me. Really I was wondering if there might be some other ambitious "young guns" like myself floating around this forum...
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

CC has remained fairly quiet in terms of young blood for a while, other than Laconius, who doesn't mod/map anymore. We just need more people like you to show up and make home here. :)
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

So SAVAGE is pretty much defunct now?
An on-and-off girlfriend of Kligsen killed by the marshal.
Gack. Sorry, it's just that that plot device is one of my pet peeves. :(
DJBaker

Post by DJBaker »

Xenon wrote:So SAVAGE is pretty much defunct now?
An on-and-off girlfriend of Kligsen killed by the marshal.
Gack. Sorry, it's just that that plot device is one of my pet peeves. :(
Believe me, I recognize the cliche. The opening cinematic is very much a homage/parody of Western tropes (in the spirit of SC itself).

I use the Ennio Morricone harmonica music from "Once Upon a Time in the West" for my first closeup shot of the main character.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Xenon wrote:So SAVAGE is pretty much defunct now?
Absolutely on my end. Magic requested to take control over it, probably about 3 years ago? Maybe 2. And I said by all means and handed over the information on it. As you can see, nothing has adjusted since.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator