Ricky_Honejasi's SC2 Videos

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Ricky_Honejasi's SC2 Videos

Post by IskatuMesk »

Fraps is not multithreaded to my knowledge, it's not going to make a difference. I've tried putting it on one extra core and excluding it but it doesn't fix the problem. HD access is the big thing here.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:Fraps is not multithreaded to my knowledge, it's not going to make a difference. I've tried putting it on one extra core and excluding it but it doesn't fix the problem. HD access is the big thing here.
To reply both to HSK and Mesk :

From my experiences, Fraps doesn't seem take to more than 1 core. As for HD access, I always use my USB external drive to write frapped videos on (and not my main drive with SC2 on). With a resolution of 1024x784, it still goes fine even when my FPS is very fine with lots of actions on screen.

I have an AMD Phenom 9500 (Quad Core 2.2 ghz each) along with a Radeon HD 4670. It's a reasonable rig for gaming as long you don't care for maxed out resolutions with the best settings and so on.

What truly kills me is low raw CPU speed as SC2 is very demanding on it AND only uses 1 and a half core out of my 4 potential cores. When I plan to get a newer cpu, ill mostly try to get one with a 2.6+ ghz per core but still a quad core. I still manage to use 4 cores for other reasons (ex : some other random game + SC2 + SC2 editor at once for testing map changes) thus I am unwilling to get a 3 cores cpus with a 0.1 or 0.2 ghz gain for the same price.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

LOL you use a usb drive to record from fraps? You do realize that USB bandwidth is ridiculously tiny, right?
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:LOL you use a usb drive to record from fraps? You do realize that USB bandwidth is ridiculously tiny, right?
It still manage to do the job quite well for the resolution I do record at. Obviously, it wouldn't be enough for your very HD videos.

Honestly, I don't feel like fiddling with additional internal hard drives and I am already happy enough with the USB drive's performance for my video needs.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I wouldn't even try to stream 640x480 fraps videos over my wireless network with its 1mb/s.