Ghosts of the Past Trailer

Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: Ghosts of the Past Trailer

Post by Legion »

Hunter_Killers wrote:
Legion wrote: okay let me put this out here.

am i the only one getting sick of this tsunami of cgi movies and "artwork" but no actual game? i'm tired of belting out things like "wowz! looks at those graphics!!! they're like REAL ZERGS!!"

we've been brown-nosing blizzard's art guys for over a decade, come on! a polished up processed over-the-top cinematic with overly dramatic background music does nothing for me.

sneak previews and trailers i can understand, but this game has been trailered and previewed to death and we can only hope the game is able to live up to that.
In-game like over half that trailer is?
i didn't say in-game. read before you post. i said we keep seeing cinematics but no game. i don't know about you, but i haven't seen SC2.

so yeah. loads of graphics and teaser bs, but no game. it's almost as if they're afraid the actual game won't be able to speak for itself... i'm actually quite sure everybody is going to want to skip the "key to all things" cinematic when they come across it while playing the game because they've SEEN IT SO MANY TIMES. :D

edit:

there's bound to be somebody who's gonna say "next week!" but no videogame is every going to be worth this amount of overhype.
Last edited by Legion on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I have.

I was disappoint.

But don't worry, you'll be able to judge for yourself in less than a week.
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

Legion, in a thirty second to 3 minute commercial, the actual gameplay isn't going to be interesting to see on a monitor screen.  No game has ever looked that good from an RTS perspective.  We all know what we're getting into when we buy SC2.  The difference in the commercial is seeing how awesome the story is going to play out as we experience the game.
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

AA7Dragoon wrote: Legion, in a thirty second to 3 minute commercial, the actual gameplay isn't going to be interesting to see on a monitor screen.  No game has ever looked that good from an RTS perspective.  We all know what we're getting into when we buy SC2.  The difference in the commercial is seeing how awesome the story is going to play out as we experience the game.
i'm not talking about in-game footage at all! that's what hunterkillers thought i was saying. stop dwelling on it. :P

i was only stating that over the past couple of years we've been bombarded to death with bombastic but boring cgi movies about a game that's never going to be able to live up to all of that mass-hysteria.

the reason i mentioned the word GAME (and not IN-GAME) was to illustrate that blizzard's art department have been working their asses off apparently, but that the final product (in this case, a GAME) has been underway for a long, long time. i know it's part of marketing and whatnot to release bits and pieces to tide prospective customers over but come on! enough is enough.

cinematics are cool, but nothing else. we've been seeing and hearing the same kind of cheap one-liners, scary monsters and lightshows since diablo 2, haven't we?
Last edited by Legion on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

cgi movies and "artwork" but no actual game?
Its also not CGI, that is the game whether you like it or not which is in-game besides the few actual CGI sections.

I could say "The game like over half that trailer is?" and it would be the same thing.

At least get your terms right if you want to QQ about something, you are looking for gameplay which is ALL OVER THE INTERNET and they know it too.

You willingly put yourself under a rock and then come here to complain you haven't seen anything.

*facedesk*

What next? they haven't shown enough pictures of the game box/CD/DVD or it sitting homely in a department store shelf?
Last edited by UntamedLoli on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

IskatuMesk wrote: He has a full blown portrait. It may just be for battle.net rewards though (like the night elf and such).
That's neat. This probably-an-icon to which I refer was in the assets before the Overmind portrait became available.

I'm curious how a new Overmind could be created in spite of Kerrigan's control of the Zerg; the involvement of a Psi Disruptor or Terran bioengineering seems plausible. Personally, I look forward to the return of the Overmind.
No more humans, please.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

mAc Chaos wrote: lool Stukov got killed, then infested, then UN-infested.

I read some of the SC books... I don't think Valarian would kill his father.  But who knows.  He has a bit of a more humane side than his Dad, but he's still manipulative (he prefers to be more subtle though) and only wants what he wants in the end.
AA7Dragoon wrote: I disagree, Thalraxal.  Kerrigan will be the one who kills Mengsk in the end.  As an English major in the field of literature studies, poetic justice demands the death of Mengsk by Kerrigan's hands for being responsible for creating her into the monstrosity she is today.  Valerian will merely serve as a successor to a much more pacified Dominion.  Once Mengsk is dead, there will need to be a common government for the Terran race.  Raynor is not the character type who is going to be a President or Emperor of the Terran people.  Valerian will fit that political role in the StarCraft universe nicely just as Artanis has for the Protoss.  With these young rulers (newer generation) taking over command of the races, I am curious to see what happens to Kerrigan for the Zerg race.  She is still too much of a "human" and protagonist to maintain her role as the Queen of all Zerg.  I wouldn't be surprised if a new Overmind or series of cerebrates succeeds her.  Expect something dramatic to happen with the final showdown with the Xel'Naga.

I do agree with Thalraxal that perhaps we will see the Hybrids first before the actual Xel'Naga.  The Zerg campaign may introduce a sub-race of Hybrids to serve as a proxy for the Xel-Nega in causing mischief to Kerrigan's objectives.  You are also correct to believe the Hybrids may show up in the Terran campaign because battle.net has already released the avatar portraits to several Hybrid units.
I haven't read anything with Valerian in it, but everytime I see a picture of him I can't help but think "Arthas!".

AA7, you make a very good point about Kerrigan being the one to off Mengsk, and I do agree: she should have dibs on it.  But just killing him doesn't really seem to be her style.  She'd much rather leave him sitting in the ashes of his ruined empire.  Which is why I think someone else will do the deed. 

Interesting point of about the new generation of leaders: We got to see that in WarCraft too with Arthas and Jaina, but most of it happened off screen with Varian and Thrall coming to power in between WC2 and WC3.  It'll be nice to get a chance to actually see the whole transition occur, instead of just the end of it.

I'm pretty sure that the arrival of the Hybrids will mess things up big time for the Zerg.  Which is why I think that they'll show up as the end-campaign cliffhanger for Wings of Liberty and lead in for Heart of the Swarm.  Playing Kerrigan with the full power of the Zerg Swarm behind her doesn't seem like a very interesting plot: I suspect we'll see a return to a Brood War-like scenario where most of the Swarm is under Hybrid control.

Besides, after the Brood War bonus mission (Dark Origins), there's too much build up towards the Hybrids.  There's no way they can't not have them show up in Wings of Liberty.
AA7Dragoon wrote:I must admit, I am very excited to buy StarCraft 2 for simply the single player campaign.  Ten years!  I have wanted to see how this story continues!
Me too!
AA7Dragoon wrote:My question to everyone is this: Do you believe Kerrigan will survive these next three campaigns?  I have a hard time accepting she will be the permanent leader to the Zerg race.  She is still too human and a protagonist to a race that desires to assimilate all living creatures.  I believe she will either die or be replaced by some kind of Overmind/Cerebrate.  She has to reconcile with Raynor and Zeratul somehow.  Otherwise, they'll be driven to kill her by virtue of poetic justice.
I don't see Kerrigan surviving SC2.  Forced redemption via deinfestation feels too easy, and I can't see her seeking any sort of redemption on her own.  She's burned all her bridges, and if she does end up in a bad spot, I don't think anyone will want to ally with her, even out of necessity.  I'm pretty sure that Raynor's going to decide that there's nothing left of the Sarah Kerrigan that he loved and kill her himself.
Master Jademus Sreg wrote:
IskatuMesk wrote: He has a full blown portrait. It may just be for battle.net rewards though (like the night elf and such).
That's neat. This probably-an-icon to which I refer was in the assets before the Overmind portrait became available.

I'm curious how a new Overmind could be created in spite of Kerrigan's control of the Zerg; the involvement of a Psi Disruptor or Terran bioengineering seems plausible. Personally, I look forward to the return of the Overmind.
Well, the Xel'naga did create the original Overmind, and they're supposed to be coming back.  I still believe that there are surviving Cerebrates and that Blizzard is just trying to make us all surprised when one shows up in SC2.  I also want to believe that the original Overmind created a human body for itself, imbuned with powerful psionic abilities, and that it went into hiding, with plans to continue its Grand Experiment, after its apparant demise at the hands of Tassadar.
Master Jademus Sreg

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

Thalraxal wrote: I also want to believe that the original Overmind created a human body for itself, imbuned with powerful psionic abilities, and that it went into hiding, with plans to continue its Grand Experiment, after its apparant demise at the hands of Tassadar.
Oh my god! The Overmind is Jesus!
No more humans, please.
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

Thalraxal wrote: AA7, you make a very good point about Kerrigan being the one to off Mengsk, and I do agree: she should have dibs on it.  But just killing him doesn't really seem to be her style.  She'd much rather leave him sitting in the ashes of his ruined empire.  Which is why I think someone else will do the deed. 
Hmm I don't entirely agree with your statement above. Kerrigan ALREADY left Mengsk sitting in the ashes of his ruined empire back in BW. It wouldn't make any sense to come back again after four years of relative quiet and repeat it again a second time, risking to have him again rebuilding his Dominion and posing a threat for her and her Swarm. No, this time she's coming after him. In my opinion, she would try to have his empire destroyed piece by piece first, trying to destroy all what Mengsk loves the most: his power. Once there's nothing left of it she will finish him off. That's what I think she will try to do (that's what I'd do if I was her, indeed). :P

About the Overmind, I think it would be interesting to have him back. I mean, a Cerebrate managed to reanimate the corpse of Stukov, and he was a merely human. Why would not the Overmind, a millenary creature supposed to be eternal and who embodied the whole of the Swarm be able to resurrect somehow? Also, it would be far more fun than having a third new mindless Overmind, which would be rather repetitive and boring.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Legion wrote:
AA7Dragoon wrote: Legion, in a thirty second to 3 minute commercial, the actual gameplay isn't going to be interesting to see on a monitor screen.  No game has ever looked that good from an RTS perspective.  We all know what we're getting into when we buy SC2.  The difference in the commercial is seeing how awesome the story is going to play out as we experience the game.
i'm not talking about in-game footage at all! that's what hunterkillers thought i was saying. stop dwelling on it. :P

i was only stating that over the past couple of years we've been bombarded to death with bombastic but boring cgi movies about a game that's never going to be able to live up to all of that mass-hysteria.

the reason i mentioned the word GAME (and not IN-GAME) was to illustrate that blizzard's art department have been working their asses off apparently, but that the final product (in this case, a GAME) has been underway for a long, long time. i know it's part of marketing and whatnot to release bits and pieces to tide prospective customers over but come on! enough is enough.

cinematics are cool, but nothing else. we've been seeing and hearing the same kind of cheap one-liners, scary monsters and lightshows since diablo 2, haven't we?
You want a trailer for fans, that obviously isn't going to be in a commercial because of its length, to be purely about the gameplay that we already know and have seen?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

um legion they've practically shown half the campaign and everything else about the game already and it isn't even out yet.

But no, I agree, it's an overhyped piece of shit like halo and modern warfare and all those other coons.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

GreatGodSajuuk wrote: You know, all that was missing was THE KEY TO THE END OF ALL THINGS.

Looks pretty tho.
It's exactly the lack of this that made this trailer passable even for my standards.

I am satisfied. This time. Like 51% pass.

So yeah Lav, no worries this time, of all people I APPROVED IT. Barely.
Wait... wasn't he the guy who got shot? Do people not fucking die in Blizzard writing or something?
N64 one upped you this time Mesk. That and it was another case of terrible time lining.
Artanis died? wtf When did he die?
When they commited genocide on ducks and replaced him with some templar fodder. Can't you tell the massive difference in portrait structure? The guy's face isn't even the same, and unlike Zeratul he didn't hide in the shadows so he doesn't have any excuses.
okay let me put this out here.

am i the only one getting sick of this tsunami of cgi movies and "artwork" but no actual game? i'm tired of belting out things like "wowz! looks at those graphics!!! they're like REAL ZERGS!!"

we've been brown-nosing blizzard's art guys for over a decade, come on! a polished up processed over-the-top cinematic with overly dramatic background music does nothing for me.

sneak previews and trailers i can understand, but this game has been trailered and previewed to death and we can only hope the game is able to live up to that.
Your timing is horrible. They at least gave a reasonable effort this time around, why not bash earlier when their trailers sucked balls?

Don't beat on a dead horse when it's getting revived.
The fact that only the ratio in a small sample such as this thread of OHHH COOL vs JEEZ AGAIN is not favoring you shows that they haven't milked it enough according to current marketcrafting. And yeah, business wise it is still profitable at this point sadly enough.
But no, I agree, it's an overhyped piece of shit like halo and modern warfare and all those other coons.
I'm just curious, do you apply this stance on WoW? Cause if so perhaps that means you are still giving SC2 a chance? Or am I wrong about this? Or perhaps you think WoW and it's xpacs are great in comparison or something?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

WoW is like... I don't play it for the story, I play it to play with my friends. If they didn't play, I wouldn't be playing. I am more of a casual player in that respect you could say.

If I do anything in sc2 it will be commentating and that's probably it. I don't foresee any kind of serious project, at least not until 2042 is done. But even then I am skeptical about the editor and something large scale. We'll see.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

IskatuMesk wrote: WoW is like... I don't play it for the story, I play it to play with my friends. If they didn't play, I wouldn't be playing. I am more of a casual player in that respect you could say.

If I do anything in sc2 it will be commentating and that's probably it. I don't foresee any kind of serious project, at least not until 2042 is done. But even then I am skeptical about the editor and something large scale. We'll see.
Can't SC2 be like that? I mean as someone who doesn't touch maps in any way and only plays them I feel this is damn well the case the reason I'm buying it. I honestly can't say something as great as "I'm buying SC2 for the campaign + everyone at CC's future projects" at this point <.< given how downs of a report I've been given on how mapmaking/publishing works.

I'm not saying you should contribute man. Would you be willing to play it? I'm telling you man we set up the 4v4 and I'm grabbing Mucky for shits and giggles. At the most if we need someone to hard carry us over to Diamond we grab Arcan or Mantis. Yes Mantis. GOOD TIMES LIKE WC3, except HE'S THE ONE CARRYING US NOW BAHAHAHAHA.

I mean seriously, the entire point of 4v4/5v5 arena is for stupid shit right? Or have I been playing wrong my entire life?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Dunno. These days I am too busy to do much. We'll see.