2) 1
3) mostly irrelevant
4) 5
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Re: About the future of a SC2 event

Post by Alevice »

Lavarinth wrote: To everyone not buying the game: Quit being high and mighty and thinking about yourself and buy it to play with your online friends, jeez. ::)
I know for a fact that Sreg and me would only play itmostly when it comes to testing our own creations. Sreg chose not to buy it because SC2 is not his ideal platform for creation, due to retarded censorship scheme.  I don't mind the censorship much, but I doubt I will be doing much, in particular since I don't have a computer that can run sc2 decently since i moved.
_-|-_
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote:
Xelxiuz wrote: So are we assuming map projects will somehow still be awesome with that 10mb limit or did they finally remove it? Cause all I see is Nexus Wars.
If we consider the current limits, the best possible is 10 mb for a map + remaining of an author's space (being the other 10 mb minimum) for extra imported files in a mod file (loaded with the map).

If they improve the global limit to 30-50 mb, then that would be the global limit that a decent map maker could fetch (10 mb map + rest as imported files inside mod) short of burrowing further space from a friend's if it's possible.

To the other radical end, if we cut out all imported data and have maps that relies on novelty, decent trigger use and such, it's possible to make very interesting maps with 4-5 mb of space.
I don't understand go tell me in scrub talk: Can Icefrog make SC2 DOTA or not? Because whether or not he can weighs in the minds of casuals whether or not map making has any future. And since DOTA is so much more simpler than campaigns, it should somehow apply too as a forerunner. Kind of like if you can't even get into silver league why are you talking about diamond? DOTA is silver league. Monsters like RCX, Desler, Oracle etc are Diamond. Mesk is the eternal rough diamond that speaks when you rub it a certain way.
To everyone not buying the game: Quit being high and mighty and thinking about yourself and buy it to play with your online friends, jeez. Roll Eyes
Pretty sure by armchair logic anyone who's posting they are not buying this game in this specific thread or even this forum doesn't really apply to that logic of yours. Otherwise they would have gotten it through you know, the peer pressure of their online friends.

But still, worse case scenario you see what SC2 is all about and watch Blizzard fumble the story and can at least tell yourself you've been loyal enough saving you the next two installments. It only goes up from there. What else were you going to do with that $60? Get partially hammered clubbing? Cheap date? KOMMAND AND KONKER 5?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

DotA can work in sc2 but without custom graphics for the most part. They will be around 4-6x the size they were in wc3, and that's assuming the authors use the shittiest resolution textures available. Which look ugly as hell.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

I request more intentions/opinions before taking any solid stance. For example, from SS players such as HKS, Shadowflare, Xenon and Loki. To me, it's important in terms of deciding any real SS to SC2 event switch.

In addition, I am fairly there are some other players that didn't answer but might be honestly interested to play in a SC2 event. Those could be AA7, Dread, Legion, DoW and Xelxiuz.

Sorry to call out names but I really prefer to have the most opinions possible. Quite a few could decide to come silently but at this point, I can also take it as if people don't care THAT much for a SC2 event if they don't even answer there.

Now since we did have some posts, ill pour mine. I do have quite a mixed intention in all honesty. On one hand, I am very hesitant about SC2 especially due to the RealID forum issue. Even if they back out, I am still quite worried that they decide some future major bad decision (for the player) then force us it down our throat after release.

Before the RealID forum issue, I could still honestly push myself to buy SC2 with the reasonable hope that Blizzard won't screw up my fun too badly later on. After it, doubts crawl my mind. I could still buy it and such but it does feel more of a gamble than it should be. I would pretty much just buy it just for a SC2 event since otherwise I wouldn't have that much of a reason to buy it.

Otherwise, it's these for me :
Q1) If there is a SC2 event, how often do you honestly intend to participate (presuming the perfect ideal that it would fit your schedule)?
1) Almost all the time to always
2) Very often

Q2) What would interest you in such SC2 event? Pick multiples if wanted.
1) Melee
2) Custom Maps
3) Watching games live by the community players
4) Showing/playing your SC2 map projects in the event
Note : #1 might end up phased out if I get bored of melee over time.

Q3) What would be fitting times for you? Pick multiples to show all possible times for you.
Pretty much any choice of Saturday or Sunday. For Fridays, I am not sure if my future school schedule will allow it or if I will feel like playing after.

Q4) Concerning SS/SSJ and such SC2 event. What you would prefer? Feel free to answer in multiples if it reflect better your views.
7) Now that's where one of my dilemmas happens to be. While quite a few wants to jump to the SC2 event and throw away SSJ, I somehow feel it's a mistake to throw it away that soon. This is especially considering that SC2 custom maps will probably suck for a good month or two minimum. I am aware however that the SC2 event will likely win in theory even if it's simply for the sake of being new vs the 5+ years-old SS event.

Ultimately, that's the best compromise in theory I can manage to think through :

Note : Could potentially switch both SC2 and SS/SSJ's days in this idea.

a) The SC2 event would take place on Sunday on 7:00 pm GMT-5. I am aware that it does disregard Frizby's and Frosty's times at the moment.

b) Make Satyr Sunday back into Satyr Saturday on top of having a short time of 11 pm to 1 am (with the occasional max of 2 am). The event would mostly go straight to TGS along with some other map (ex : Sreg's maps) or Castle Fight. Basically making it a short event with the maps we care the most or really want to test each time.

Such idea would have the following reasons :
b.1) If we make both the SC2 event and SS/SSJ as long events, most players will probably focus on the SC2 event if it's not too bad killing SS/SSJ quickly. If SS become short then it's much more tempting to play those decent games in-and-out.
b.2) Quite frankly over time, SS has a tendency to play random maps until more people gather up to play the more interesting maps. Those random maps can be skipped.
b.3) If the SC2 event somehow go quite badly, it's much easier to withdraw back to SS that already exist than to try to revive it.

Ultimately in such scenario, if SS dies it would be in a slow dying fire which if it does, there would be little reason to push SS/SSJ for any reason.

The other alternative I thought is to have a short SS on saturday from 7 pm to 9 pm then the SC2 event from 9 pm to 1 am or so. Although, I do scrap it due to Mucky still having a month before a favorable schedule change ... and if it does.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Considering how badly many players abused exploits/loopholes in custom wc3 maps, and how terrible wc3 maps/sc2 maps are in general, if I ever did show up it would be strictly for melee and melee only.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

I'm worried about the game for the same reasons as Ricky. I probably will (grudgingly) get it, and make a new bnet account for it without any real personal information. With any luck, the "social networking" plot will fall flat, and if Blizzard has any modicum of common sense left it will stop trying to cram it down our throats instead of cramming harder. I hope.

Also, is there still a stupidly low limit on the number of players in a party?

1) almost always
2) 2,3,4
3) preferably 7:00 times, then 8:00
4) Don't know. Might be necessary to have a few events to judge the relative amount of interest for potential players.
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

"This is especially considering that SC2 custom maps will probably suck for a good month or two minimum."

Wha?! More like for a few years. Development time will take longer than wc3 given freedom users have with data and the unwieldy interface. But good ideas may become apparent within a few months, sure.
No more humans, please.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Played the Metal Slug map, sreg?
_-|-_
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Master Jademus Sreg wrote: "This is especially considering that SC2 custom maps will probably suck for a good month or two minimum."

Wha?! More like for a few years. Development time will take longer than wc3 given freedom users have with data and the unwieldy interface. But good ideas may become apparent within a few months, sure.
Well I said "minimum" in my sentence. Also, I am implying SC2 custom maps that have any real interest to play on even if it's not stellar quality.
archon_wing
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by archon_wing »

6) My mood/schedule/whatever from week to week influences too much to give a reliable answer
1) Melee
2) Custom Maps
3) Watching games live by the community players

7) A starting time on Sundays 7 pm GM -5:00  <-- This the current starting time for SS/SSJ

No opinion
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

http://www.cnet.com.au/starcraft-ii-region-lock-angers-aussie-gamers-339304223.htm

THANKS BLIZZARD

edit: so yeah I'm screwed if it's IP based or something, but if it's just off CD keys or something (lawl) then I could always import a copy, maybe get one of you guys to help with that if I need it

Q1) 4/5, maybe 3? or let's just say 6?
Q2) 1-3, possibly 4 who knows what I'll do
Q3) probably 3 or 6 since that's like 12 noon on Saturday and Sunday here but I dunno what my employment situation's gonna be like then, if I get crazy hours or what, maybe I'll be working weekends and have Mondays off, and maybe I'll just cope with having to be awake by 10am :P
Q4) kinda 5 but I don't really care since I never did SS and at this stage it looks like I probably won't be getting SC2 until like a month or two after release anyway lol
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Master Jademus Sreg

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

Alevice wrote: Played the Metal Slug map, sreg?
No. If I'm going to play Metal Slug, it will not be on SC2.

EDIT: How is the SC2 event going to work with region locking?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
No more humans, please.
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

If enough people badger me about it, I'll probably end up buying SC2. I'm still floating map ideas for it around, and I'm pretty sure there's no point in keeping away from playing SC2 just to make a point.
lol owned
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Master Jademus Sreg wrote:EDIT: How is the SC2 event going to work with region locking?
Unfortunately, since it's something we have little control and most players are from North America, it will based around the North America.

The last hope in the short term for those out of North America would be to get a USA/Canada version of SC2 IF Blizzard don't enforce players to servers by IP. Which if it's by cd-key, players can at least import the game off the USA to play on the North American servers.

EDIT : The next hope is that Blizzard would honestly allow cross-realm at some time. In theory, they said they will do it at some point but in practice, it's hard to say if they will truly do it or find some excuse to never do it.