Editor question thread

Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Editor question thread

Post by Maglok »

@AA: You can also press shift while placing to ignore collision. Also I think I saw turned doodads somewhere, will look into it.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

Mucky wrote: What about raising cliff levels without the need for raising the surrounding land? I want pillars, not pyramids.
Like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No more humans, please.
Archangel
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Archangel »

IskatuMesk wrote: AA> Do you still plan to work on your sc1 project? I have more free time now and can work on the second video if you desire.
Aye. I found a wonderfully nice CGI artist to model my Protoss dudes. I just wanted to spend this valuable time in Beta to fiddle with the Galaxy Editor. I missed out on all the other Game Betas (SC, WC3) so I'm all giddy and distracted. Fear not, I'll be back. I <3 your vids by the by.
[color=#ff9227]- Archangel
Best Damn Voice Actor There Ever Was[/color]
SaintKerrigan

Post by SaintKerrigan »

Anyone monkey around with the editor enough to consider throwing out some basic pointers on how to do things like create valid triggers, where to find stuff, etc. Cause I've been blindly trying to translate my SC1 modding knowledge to SC2, but am failing miserably (I still can't figure out where to find certain actions in the trigger menu).
Tremble before my wrath!
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Saint_Kerrigan wrote: Anyone monkey around with the editor enough to consider throwing out some basic pointers on how to do things like create valid triggers, where to find stuff, etc. Cause I've been blindly trying to translate my SC1 modding knowledge to SC2, but am failing miserably (I still can't figure out where to find certain actions in the trigger menu).
For triggering, it would have been preferable if you knew WC3 triggers since the translation between WC3 to SC2 is quite reasonable.

As for the data editor, I honestly feel that the only preparation possible was modding the SC2 beta before the beta editor came up to have any clue of things in advance. SC1 and WC3 "unit" stuff simply don't transfer that well into SC2. Ultimately, requiring that you either wait for tutorials or that you poke until you understand things.

EDIT : If you do have Warcraft 3 (even non-TFT), you might want to see my trigger tutorials there : http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/index.php?topic=496.0

It's a set of maps, play first and then open it up to see how the results were produced.

It does contain easy to understand aspects about triggering (which is starting from Chapter 1, Chapter 0 being the Object Editor) and while it's incomplete, it does allow just enough step-to-step learning until you can understand from the everyday tutorials you find on various websites.
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

After further testing it appears that the 1/32 second workaround doesn't work at all, and it's still shoehorned into 1/16 second intervals. What a bunch of crappy crap crap.

Edit: Apparently I misunderstood the nature of the fix; it's a piece of code, not a simple wait. I'll have to try that...
Last edited by Xenon on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I found the layout much more simplistic and well organized in comparison to WarCraft 3, but I think something most users will find usable is an "SC to SC2" trigger document, that lists all SC1 triggers and their SC2 equivalents.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

They're all pretty verbatim, except now you have near-limitless control over any conditions or in-trigger variables.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

I still can't get the 1/32 second "fix" to work.  >:(

According to this thread, everything in the game operates on ticks of 1/32 seconds, and timers only update every 2 ticks. Why, Blizzard?
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Meta »

Questions: how well does the convert map feature work? Does it convert terrain only? Does it keep imported files (like sound effects)? Are triggers converted?
tipereth

Post by tipereth »

It sucks. Cliffs are only converted sometimes, most of the tilesets don't convert, units don't convert.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I'm sure it'll adjust on release, convert is literally a wreck right now.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

This feature is still a work in progress, and a bit experimental. Most of the conversion data have not yet been populated properly yet, so it will only work on certain tile sets right now.

There are also certain incompatibilities when converting between the terrain systems, so the conversion cannot be 100% accurate, even with the correct data in place. For example, SC2 cliff cells must be 2x2, while WC3 cliff cells are 1x1. SC1's isometric grid does not convert exactly one-for-one either.

Sadly, trigger conversion is not supported at all.
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24401697328&sid=5000#10
Matic
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by Matic »

Hmm guys, is it possible to have two different cliff types next to each other? (see attachment)
I wanna to get rid of this area marked with red.

I'm kinda noob in this w3 style of terraining, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but I cant make this happen.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Probably the same limit I ran into regarding cliff edges. I couldn't get the game to let me make an organic pit inside a elevated man-made plataeu without it first making a man-made pit.