Editor question thread

User avatar

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: M͈̙̞͍͞ͅE̹H̨͇̰͈͕͇̫Ì̩̳CO̼̩̤͖͘
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Xenon wrote:So far, a projectile that collides with units (in 2D) needs a total of 7 effects, 1 behavior and 4 validators   ::)


Have you figured out how to make Halo Rockets? (Valkyrie-type attack)
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

User avatar

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator
Posts: 6579
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: His Ashworld Planet
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby Lavarinth » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:14 pm

It's very clear a lot of features are missing including some things as simple as copy/pasting in certain areas, and that's likely because it's a beta of the Editor as well, much like WC3's beta editor release was really, REALLY bad in comparison to the retail.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

User avatar

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: M͈̙̞͍͞ͅE̹H̨͇̰͈͕͇̫Ì̩̳CO̼̩̤͖͘
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

I hope you're not implying that retail was good in any way.

Because then I'd be forced to cut you from the company budget.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

User avatar

Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 1313
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 12:48 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby Maglok » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:35 pm

Gotta love Mesk's cynicism at times. :P

So far I like the potential it might have, but it does indeed feel unpolished. I think something of that has to do with the fact we have like no manual and no complicated campaign maps to learn from.

It smells of 'powerrffulll' though.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog

User avatar

Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Posts: 759
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:29 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby Xenon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 am

IskatuMesk wrote:Because then I'd be forced to cut you


Knowing Mesk, I read that and assumed the sentence was over at that point  ;)

Halo rockets, eh? Not so much. You can add an increased "ThorBarrageVariance" siteop to the impact siteops in Actordata, but that will only make it look like the missile is hitting in random places. My fancy explode-on-death-missile setup doesn't change that either.

The createpersistent effect type has a random offset flag but I think that means it picks randomly from the specified list of offsets (you'd have to enter a bunch of values at points within a circular area). I think if you did this the missile would hit the ground at those points (don't know if you can make it explode in midair) and wouldn't follow the unit like the original Valkyrie missile.

Maybe I'm missing something, unless the original Banshee rocketspam attack used one of those methods. :P

Trimmed the collision missile setup down to 5 effects (plus one to fire past the target), 1 behavior and 3 validators. Here's the map for any interested parties.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]


User avatar

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 1595
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:19 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby RazorclawX » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Maglok wrote:So far I like the potential it might have, but it does indeed feel unpolished. I think something of that has to do with the fact we have like no manual and no complicated campaign maps to learn from.


The War3 editor didn't have a manual either. I figured out everything, though, by picking apart the campaign files, and reading about what other people figured out on misc. sites.

But one of the things that gets me... and this is a funny one... is you can't do something as simple as "Pick Every Unit in Unit Group and Order Picked Unit to Attack Move to Point." Everything is there... except the command to "Attack Move", and I suspect this was a conscious decision to leave out as this effectively kills nearly every AOS clone in the beta.
Image
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future

User avatar

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator
Posts: 6579
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: His Ashworld Planet
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby Lavarinth » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:10 pm

RazorclawX wrote:
Maglok wrote:So far I like the potential it might have, but it does indeed feel unpolished. I think something of that has to do with the fact we have like no manual and no complicated campaign maps to learn from.


The War3 editor didn't have a manual either. I figured out everything, though, by picking apart the campaign files, and reading about what other people figured out on misc. sites.

But one of the things that gets me... and this is a funny one... is you can't do something as simple as "Pick Every Unit in Unit Group and Order Picked Unit to Attack Move to Point." Everything is there... except the command to "Attack Move", and I suspect this was a conscious decision to leave out as this effectively kills nearly every AOS clone in the beta.


I believe it'd be left out for that same reason purely for the Beta.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

User avatar

Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:51 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby Alevice » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:23 pm

RazorclawX wrote:But one of the things that gets me... and this is a funny one... is you can't do something as simple as "Pick Every Unit in Unit Group and Order Picked Unit to Attack Move to Point." Everything is there... except the command to "Attack Move", and I suspect this was a conscious decision to leave out as this effectively kills nearly every AOS clone in the beta.


Image
_-|-_

User avatar

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator
Posts: 6579
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: His Ashworld Planet
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby Lavarinth » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Is that the same as Attack Move? If I recall correctly, Attack would just make them move to that location and attack from there? Though the text in the trigger itself sounds like Attack Move.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

User avatar

Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:51 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby Alevice » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Attack move = Issue attack order to a given point. It will move and egnage in combat anything hostile until it reaches destination.

At least it has been like that always for blizz games.
_-|-_

User avatar

Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Posts: 759
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:29 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby Xenon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:51 pm

Lavarinth wrote:I believe it'd be left out for that same reason purely for the Beta.


Can you even host custom maps in multiplayer without tricking the game by replacing the map file?

User avatar

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: M͈̙̞͍͞ͅE̹H̨͇̰͈͕͇̫Ì̩̳CO̼̩̤͖͘
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Xenon wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:I believe it'd be left out for that same reason purely for the Beta.


Can you even host custom maps in multiplayer without tricking the game by replacing the map file?


nope
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

User avatar

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator
Posts: 6579
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: His Ashworld Planet
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby Lavarinth » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:07 pm

IskatuMesk wrote:
Xenon wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:I believe it'd be left out for that same reason purely for the Beta.


Can you even host custom maps in multiplayer without tricking the game by replacing the map file?


nope




Let's try more detailed: Xenon, you can't host them yet, but they plan to allow it in Beta to test the features of rating and featured maps.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator

User avatar

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 1595
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:19 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby RazorclawX » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:52 pm

Alevice wrote:(image truncated)


So where's your AOS map?
Image
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future

User avatar

Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:51 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Editor question thread

Postby Alevice » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:31 pm

Nowhere to be found as I really don't like AoSes much, but thats quite irrelevant to your statement about the lack of Attack Move order. Whats your point?
_-|-_


Return to “StarCraft II Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest