Editor question thread

Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Re: Editor question thread

Post by Xenon »

Success... sorta. I managed to trick the retarget system into retargeting any unit the missile encounters (as in, comes within its collision radius). Unfortunately this only works in 2D (as in it retargets a unit it would otherwise fly over) and it uses an area validator to detect when the missile arrives, so it might not work well when there are a lot of missiles flying around.

Retarget seems a bit buggy, it always hits the unit center and an impact model also appears on the initial target.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Alevice wrote: What are other games with good editors anyway? Not rethorical question. I just think that most rts I like to play have shitty editors. Hammer doesnt count :P
Age of Wonders 2, not even an RTS, had a fairly nice editor. Starcraft 1 had a pretty decent editor for its time, too.

But the truth is that most editors are shitty for one reason or another. Sometimes the reasons can't be helped and it's a limitation of the game. Sometimes (Relic editors and EA editors) the editors are just so much what the fuck how did they think this was a good idea bad that it totally kills everything instantly.

But what makes sc2's editor stands out to me is that even though the engine is very powerful and the editor is capable of a lot, what's largely holding it back is Blizzard's laziness and incapability to design ui. I cannot believe that this interface made it out to alpha much less beta. If the devs are using this editor for the campaign there is no question in my mind that is why it is taking so long to finish. Seriously, the way this is laid out and organized maximizes the time and complexity for doing even the most mundane of tasks - description and unit names are on the opposite ends of the list for christ sake! And while they have absolutely no qualms about spamming vertical stacks of superfluous text boxes, the texture preview windows are absolutely tiny and practically useless..

Did I mention that you can only have 2 upper cliff elevations and 1 lower which can't even have ramps? Um, what the fuck? I hope to Christ that's a bug.

Oh, and you can't have more than 1 type of creep.

Or a map bigger than 256x256.

Son, I am disappoint.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Alevice wrote: What are other games with good editors anyway? Not rethorical question. I just think that most rts I like to play have shitty editors. Hammer doesnt count :P
Halo Custom Edition.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

The strict cliff restriction is indeed disappointing. The lack of ramps into the deep pits is probably because the pits are unpathable; I'm not even sure that can be changed.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Hunter_Killers wrote:
Halo Custom Edition.
I think.. He meant RTS
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

Lavarinth wrote:
Hunter_Killers wrote:
Halo Custom Edition.
I think.. He meant RTS
It's editing the exact same data which is the entire problem, it also had a good scripting engine.

It also didn't revolve around the annoying branching system SC2 uses.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

The branching may be annoying, but I'm not sure there's any other way to allow this kind of flexibility without scripting.
Archangel
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Archangel »

I am LOVIN this editor!

I only got to fiddle with it for a few minutes, so I don't know all the features or hot keys or whatsitnots, but what I'd like to see is a real-time rotation ability.

What I mean is, in order to place a unit and then turn it, right now I have to double click on the unit and mess with the circle-line thingy. I'd like to just be able to click on it and hold "ctrl" or whatever and spin it how I want.

Maybe that's already possible. I'll find out soon enough.
[color=#ff9227]- Archangel
Best Damn Voice Actor There Ever Was[/color]
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Select the unit, hold ctrl and drag. (Oddly enough it works with Pylons.)
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Xenon wrote: The strict cliff restriction is indeed disappointing. The lack of ramps into the deep pits is probably because the pits are unpathable; I'm not even sure that can be changed.
Wow.

That really is retarded.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Relevant in a way, a tutorial I am working on that will go indepth to describe everything that a hero requires, eventually including fancy basic actor trickery, behaviours, levelable abilties, veterancy.

http://sc2c.org/object-editing/how-make-hero-t14.html
_-|-_
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Effects can't reference a related missile even though actor effects can. It's hampering my progress  :P

Edit: Woohoo, found a loophole, turns out you can enum area as a launch effect and use that to put a behavior on the missile that's linked to the unit that fired the missile, so effects created by that behavior give kill credit to the proper unit.

So far, a projectile that collides with units (in 2D) needs a total of 7 effects, 1 behavior and 4 validators  ::)
Last edited by Xenon on Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Xenon wrote: So far, a projectile that collides with units (in 2D) needs a total of 7 effects, 1 behavior and 4 validators   ::)
I think this alone is the reason why the editor is such a failure. Even the built-in copy function can't get it right (I tried to copy Fungal Spores and it does everything except generate the graphics, for instance).
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

Why is it that whenever I try to make a ramp everything will just spazz out and create cliffs in places that didn't have them and erase cliffs that did have them and trying to make a second ramp makes this weird branch thing where it just puts ramps with no cliffs to go with them HOLY FUCK EVERYTHING IS DISINTEGRATING
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

RazorclawX wrote:
Xenon wrote: So far, a projectile that collides with units (in 2D) needs a total of 7 effects, 1 behavior and 4 validators  ::)
I think this alone is the reason why the editor is such a failure. Even the built-in copy function can't get it right (I tried to copy Fungal Spores and it does everything except generate the graphics, for instance).
Actor data is missing then.
_-|-_