Editor question thread

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Editor question thread

Post by IskatuMesk »

Xenon wrote: So far, a projectile that collides with units (in 2D) needs a total of 7 effects, 1 behavior and 4 validators   ::)
Have you figured out how to make Halo Rockets? (Valkyrie-type attack)
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

It's very clear a lot of features are missing including some things as simple as copy/pasting in certain areas, and that's likely because it's a beta of the Editor as well, much like WC3's beta editor release was really, REALLY bad in comparison to the retail.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I hope you're not implying that retail was good in any way.

Because then I'd be forced to cut you from the company budget.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Gotta love Mesk's cynicism at times. :P

So far I like the potential it might have, but it does indeed feel unpolished. I think something of that has to do with the fact we have like no manual and no complicated campaign maps to learn from.

It smells of 'powerrffulll' though.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

IskatuMesk wrote: Because then I'd be forced to cut you
Knowing Mesk, I read that and assumed the sentence was over at that point  ;)

Halo rockets, eh? Not so much. You can add an increased "ThorBarrageVariance" siteop to the impact siteops in Actordata, but that will only make it look like the missile is hitting in random places. My fancy explode-on-death-missile setup doesn't change that either.

The createpersistent effect type has a random offset flag but I think that means it picks randomly from the specified list of offsets (you'd have to enter a bunch of values at points within a circular area). I think if you did this the missile would hit the ground at those points (don't know if you can make it explode in midair) and wouldn't follow the unit like the original Valkyrie missile.

Maybe I'm missing something, unless the original Banshee rocketspam attack used one of those methods. :P

Trimmed the collision missile setup down to 5 effects (plus one to fire past the target), 1 behavior and 3 validators. Here's the map for any interested parties.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Maglok wrote: So far I like the potential it might have, but it does indeed feel unpolished. I think something of that has to do with the fact we have like no manual and no complicated campaign maps to learn from.
The War3 editor didn't have a manual either. I figured out everything, though, by picking apart the campaign files, and reading about what other people figured out on misc. sites.

But one of the things that gets me... and this is a funny one... is you can't do something as simple as "Pick Every Unit in Unit Group and Order Picked Unit to Attack Move to Point." Everything is there... except the command to "Attack Move", and I suspect this was a conscious decision to leave out as this effectively kills nearly every AOS clone in the beta.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

RazorclawX wrote:
Maglok wrote: So far I like the potential it might have, but it does indeed feel unpolished. I think something of that has to do with the fact we have like no manual and no complicated campaign maps to learn from.
The War3 editor didn't have a manual either. I figured out everything, though, by picking apart the campaign files, and reading about what other people figured out on misc. sites.

But one of the things that gets me... and this is a funny one... is you can't do something as simple as "Pick Every Unit in Unit Group and Order Picked Unit to Attack Move to Point." Everything is there... except the command to "Attack Move", and I suspect this was a conscious decision to leave out as this effectively kills nearly every AOS clone in the beta.
I believe it'd be left out for that same reason purely for the Beta.
- - Lavarinth
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

RazorclawX wrote: But one of the things that gets me... and this is a funny one... is you can't do something as simple as "Pick Every Unit in Unit Group and Order Picked Unit to Attack Move to Point." Everything is there... except the command to "Attack Move", and I suspect this was a conscious decision to leave out as this effectively kills nearly every AOS clone in the beta.
_-|-_
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Is that the same as Attack Move? If I recall correctly, Attack would just make them move to that location and attack from there? Though the text in the trigger itself sounds like Attack Move.
- - Lavarinth
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Attack move = Issue attack order to a given point. It will move and egnage in combat anything hostile until it reaches destination.

At least it has been like that always for blizz games.
_-|-_
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Lavarinth wrote: I believe it'd be left out for that same reason purely for the Beta.
Can you even host custom maps in multiplayer without tricking the game by replacing the map file?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Xenon wrote:
Lavarinth wrote: I believe it'd be left out for that same reason purely for the Beta.
Can you even host custom maps in multiplayer without tricking the game by replacing the map file?
nope
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

IskatuMesk wrote:
Xenon wrote:
nope

Let's try more detailed: Xenon, you can't host them yet, but they plan to allow it in Beta to test the features of rating and featured maps.
- - Lavarinth
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Alevice wrote: (image truncated)
So where's your AOS map?
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Nowhere to be found as I really don't like AoSes much, but thats quite irrelevant to your statement about the lack of Attack Move order. Whats your point?
_-|-_