Editor question thread

Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Re: Editor question thread

Post by Xenon »

The internal name for the Spawn Larva button is "MorphMorphalisk"  ;D

I managed to create a copy of the Colossus attack, but copying and properly linking all of the related actor data is not automated and is concequently a huge pain.

Edit: Lol, I just noticed my Battlecruiser's rank goes up with kills (as flavor text only). Is that new?

Edit 2: There doesn't appear to be a way to determine what item is in a specific equipment slot. The first item you pick up is considered to be in inventory slot 1 wherever you actually put it. This is a big problem for my plans  :P

There's an unused Acid Spores ability in the game:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Xenon on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Meta »

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Took me a while to figure out the Unit editor. Everything is kind of all over the place and it's kind of annoying. Took me a while to figure out how to make a Burrow that didn't have a requirement to it.

The editor really needs some cleanup work done to it before shipping.

Anyway, I did find the Acid Spore ability... and it is ridiculous next to Fungal Growth.

I also made it so the caster gets energy back just by being hit. I think I'll try to add shields later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

I made a toggleable reactive shield that shoots back at units that attack it... but for some reason when two marines attack it the game freezes.
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

You can convert .scm and .scx terrain into the editor. Sort of. Some cliff types don't process correctly. (Badlands structure cliffs just turn into a 'tech' terrain texture.) Resources convert but starting locations/units don't at all.

Some tilesets result in a black texture but you can change the textures under map properties. Some cliffs are still weird, though.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Trying to make a Heroic version of the Spawn infested Terrans ability. Sounds simple, right? No!! Not so simple!!

I got it to the point where they aren't eggs with machine guns, but now they have no graphics and don't move. And now my Neural Parasite doesn't dislodge the tentacle rape so I can walk around with multiple tentacle rapes.
-- Razorclaw X
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

I'm messing around with movers and I may have found a bug. After changing some values in Motion Phases (such as the accidentally-hidden fourth outro value and some of the pitch and yaw band values) they cannot be reset to 0. Setting them to 0 and confirming just reverts them to the last value they were before you set them to 0. Setting the mover or motion phases field to revert to parent doesn't work either. Can anyone confirm this bug?
tipereth

Post by tipereth »

Been poking through animations, terrans get all the cool death anims. Infested terrans eat a bullet if you let them time out.
There's also a few unused upgrades lying around, that have no effect data so I have no idea what they would do.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

The terrain editor is really nice, but considering I'm running SC2 on the lowest settings I can't generate foliage. Not to mention it doesn't look half as nice in-game for some reason.
-- Razorclaw X
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

RazorclawX wrote: The terrain editor is really nice, but considering I'm running SC2 on the lowest settings I can't generate foliage. Not to mention it doesn't look half as nice in-game for some reason.
From what I noticed, low settings does cut A LOT graphically (terrain is often bare minimum, models looks bad, pretty much all non-obstructing doodads are cut, etc.).

It's nice to allow low-end computers to run SC2 in any form but you can't expect anything decent in-game.

EDIT : You pretty much need high settings to see pretty much everything. Even medium settings seems to cut quite a bit too.
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

tipereth wrote:Resources convert but starting locations/units don't at all.
Player start positions are in the Points layer, not Units layer. I discovered that after converting a few WC3 maps. Just press the P key to view the Points layer.
No more humans, please.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

My computer runs SC2 on Ultra, but I feel like it's coughing and choking to death with the Editor, but then again you can tell this Editor is pretty chopped up and missing quite a few things.

And for those of you curious: Try turning Cinematic Mode on for each race. The pretties!
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Like Ricky said, being able to run test map without quitting SC2 (and consequently loading very fast) is incredibly useful.

I don't think the editor is as bad as Mesk does, but I agree that some of the dialogs are very space-inefficient. For example the behavior "unit modification" dialog is many screens long vertically and wastes a lot of horizontal space, making it time-consuming to find the value you're looking for. There are some important trigger events missing, such as "unit drops item from inventory".

Also, sometimes selecting an object in the data editor doesn't switch to it in the right-side frame.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Well, Isk is comparing to it to other editors, while someone like me has yet to (and probably wont touch) many other editors, so using the SC2 editor is just a matter of getting accustomed to it. The potential is all there, it's just learning the process.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

What are other games with good editors anyway? Not rethorical question. I just think that most rts I like to play have shitty editors. Hammer doesnt count :P
_-|-_