Editor question thread

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Editor question thread

Post by IskatuMesk »

Post your questions about or what you'd like to see from in the editor.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Re: Editor question thread

Post by Mucky »

1. Can raised cliffs have a height of 3 or greater? What I mean by this: In WC3, you could only raise cliffs up two levels, then you had to raise the surrounding land in order to make it any higher. Does Galaxy Editor have this limitation?
2. Apparently water doesn't generate cliffs like in WC3 (which I think is a good thing). Can the water brush automatically fill a pit full of water?
3. Are we able to create custom tilesets?
4. If yes, what is the limit to how many tiles we can have (if any)?
5. Can we trigger permanent terrain tileset changes/terrain deformation without incurring a 9001 FPS loss?
6. Is Galaxy able to use structs or classes? (EDIT: whoops looks like that's a yes) What about other methods of keeping closely-related data together?
7. In the HL2 engine, characters have specific animation scripts, but in Garry's Mod you can have models pose however you want. To what extent can models/animations be controlled in Galaxy triggers?
8. Are there two-way pathing/line of sight blockers? How about one-way pathing/line of sight blockers? WC3 had the former but lacked the latter.

That's all I can think of for now.
Last edited by Mucky on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Meta »

1- Regarding tilesets, can we add or remove textures to customize them (and without having to import textures)?
2- Also about tilesets: can we add lighting (not fog) effects over one location without resorting to triggers?
3- What's the extent of cliff customization? In WC3 you were basically restricted to 2 cliff types per map (correct me if I'm wrong); is there such a limit in SC2?
4- Can a single unit have a variety of models attached to it without making it a different unit (for example, several civilian units slightly different from each other and all selectable with the ctrl key or double click)? A comparison would be doodads in WC3 with different variations.
5- Are there any non-melee units in the current editor? If so, please list them.
6- What are the biggest changes between GalaxyEdit and WorldEdit?

Mucky asked pretty much everything else I can remember for now.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

" Can a single unit have a variety of models attached to it without making it a different unit (for example, several civilian units slightly different from each other and all selectable with the ctrl key or double click)? A comparison would be doodads in WC3 with different variations."

I can safely say that thats a yes. Even current drak templar is like that.
_-|-_
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Is it possible to make a
carrier with ANOTHER carrier taped onto it
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Okay well since according to Blizzard you won't be able to actually play your maps (since you can't upload to their cloud storage WTF I don't EVER want any of my maps on their storage, only on my computar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I won't be able to actually see any of this stuff ingame.

Anyways I've started making my huge video but I'm so tired that I think I'm going to go back to bed so I can give this my full undivided attention later in the day.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I heard it's possible to load a map by going into a lobby in a game and after that replace the map file you're supposed to play with the one you want to play.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

You can technically save your map and run it via the sandbox many loader utilize to try stuff. And you can online too by the means lav explained.
_-|-_
GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

Just use like any loader available.
[imgwh 621x144]http://i.imagehost.org/0709/TuningFail.png[/imgwh]
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

'Generate Terrain Foliage'.  Wow, what a huge time saver.  Hours of useless doodad placement saved right off the bat.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Desler wrote: 'Generate Terrain Foliage'.  Wow, what a huge time saver.  Hours of useless doodad placement saved right off the bat.
As much I love obsessing about doodad placement, that sounds awesome.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Editor first impressions:

- It's slow as fuck. Slower than wc3's editor. The data editor takes forever to jump around menus just like wc3 does.
- My greatest fear has been realized - the data editor's attributes are laid out haphazardly and in a giant mess in either view. Shields and Health are separated by random values and collision is nowhere near movement settings.
- I've already run into two colossal bugs - one where changing any value or putting in any text causes the editor to reload the current data window which takes anywhere from 5-15 seconds, and one where I could no longer place any textures at all ever.
- There is a model VIEWER (not an editor, it doesn't let you change ANY values, you will need 3ds max still for any material changes or such) that lets you see what assets that model is using and such. This is not the fabled hardpoint editor from what I can tell.
- You can play around with the light settings very fluidly.
- You need multiple water types for every height value. Water is placed in gigantic squares that cannot be resized and this will quickly get irritating.
- You can only have a maximum of 2 cliff tiles high period and only one cliff lower that is about 3 or so cliff tiles low and does not accept any ramps at all. A tremendous fall backwards from warcraft 3. Unless there's some way around this I haven't discovered... but I can't get any higher than 2. Both 1 and 2 cliff heights accept ramps. Game allows a height of up to 100 which you can only get with hills atm.
- Ramp tool doesn't let you make curving ramps and can totally freak out and break the terrain mesh very easily. Is actually very irritating to use.
- Having a hard as balls time trying to find the unit/doodad placement menu.
- Don't seem to be able to remove generated foliage... haven't looked that close yet, though.
- Maximum map size is still a paltry 256x256. So much for being more powerful?
- 16 players max including neutral and hostile.
- No triggers at all present in editor from what I can see.

Overall the interface is a disaster imo. It's disorganized, ugly, and basic functions are a chore for me to locate. I had hoped, prayed, sacrificed goats in the vain hope that someone on Blizzard staff would take a passing glance at Datedit and think "Hey, that's cool!" and have our community tools influence their design. Instead we've basically got worldedit 1.5. Functionally it looks very powerful but just as exponentially more irritating to use. I hope they consider a massive overhaul of the layout. There's tons and tons of wasted space everywhere in the data editor.

I am disappoint.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

oh fuck dude I just found something awesome check this out

/edit

ok not being able to see triggers is because of broken localization or something I can fix it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Interestingly the Editor runs quite fast for me. Maybe yet another high end settings bug? Stupid programmers.

The terrain edition (not tile painting) is quite smooth, but absurdly limited like fuck, and ramp placement is bugged beyond belief. But I dont give a fuck about terrain :P
_-|-_
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

It runs better with fraps going now. I blame camtasia for the poor performance.

That said the various shader views do lag significantly on my one map.