Patch 5

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Patch 5

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:22 pm

StarCraft II Beta – Patch 5 (version 0.7.0.14356)

The latest patch notes can always be found on the StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.

Balance Changes

PROTOSS
Cybernetics Core
Warp Gate research time increased from 60 seconds to 140 seconds.

ZERG
Hatchery/Lair/Hive
Burrow research time increased from 50 seconds to 100 seconds.
Burrow research cost increased from 50 Minerals and 50 Vespene Gas to 100 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas.
Nydus Network
Nydus Worm build time increased from 10 seconds to 20 seconds.
Hydralisk
The delay between attacks has been increased from 0.75 seconds to 0.83 seconds.
Infestor
Neural Parasite has been redesigned:
The limited duration of 10 seconds has been removed.
Can no longer target air units.
Cast range decreased from 9 to 7.
Burrowed Infestor move speed decreased from 1.5 to 1.
Infestor life decreased from 120 to 90.
Infestors that are burrowed now have the same threat level as above-ground units for the purposes of automatically acquiring targets.

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue with High graphics settings that could cause particles not to render.

I'm sure Herc or someone will swoop in and fix the formatting

Quick thoughts;

yes warp gate nerf, but not a big enough nerf imo

the TINIEST HYDRA NERF IN EXISTENCE THAT ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING

Nydus worm = ultra mega nerf why not just make it require creep

Infestor = mega buff yet mega nerf? Perma MC yet can't grab those bcs or motherships anymore. Shorter range means hard to grab tanks now too. REMOVE SPAWN TERRANS

Graphic fix - I ran into that once and glad they (supposedly) fixed it. Now fix the geysers and the red flashes pl0x
Last edited by Lavarinth on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

thebrowncloud
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Re: Patch 5

Postby thebrowncloud » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:55 pm

K, so here is my proposition for how to remove the spawn infested terran ability yet still keep infested terrans in the game. The infestor still has fungal growth, yes? And it still does DOT? So how about if the infestor uses fungal growth on marines (and maybe marauders and/or reapers) and it results in their death, instead of killing them they just become infested terrans that may or may not have a time limit on them. Removes the annoying ability, keeps in the unit, and makes the infestor a good counter to infantry for terran. Then a good ability can take the place of spawn infested terran and the lore surrounding how infested marines appear will at least somewhat make sense. Thoughts?

I like how neural parasite works now (no time limit), but I don't think it should work on massive units like the colossus or thor either. The infestor being able to mind control those simply doesn't make much sense. But then again it doesn't make sense how it could mind control the robotic units for protoss either. Then neither did it make sense when the dark archon could do it. Nevermind.

Do you think there will be any patches where the toss don't get nerfed? They certainly need the nerfs, but it kinda makes me sad that the race is only getting worse in every aspect and nothing is getting better. That's not so much improving the game as much as realizing that Blizzard screwed up big time before beta.
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby RazorclawX » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Fuck yeah time to mind control the Collossi?
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Big nerfs were to be expected upon beta release. Blizzard sucks at balancing, they need the pool of players and their two high-level guys to actually play high-level players rather than just steamroll their clueless developers. Warp Gates as a whole is a fairly overpowered mechanic due to the massively reduced build time of units alone. Terran don't have too much to compete with that, so it's going to change a lot more I think and terrans will probably be buffed even more, according to Browder's words.

And yes, mind controlling colossi is silly but will be more difficult with the range nerf. Upgraded colossi have 9 range. They'll 2 shot infestors.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

tipereth

Postby tipereth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:32 pm

Hydra DPS is reduced by ~2 (almost 10%). Not nothing. They needed a change.

Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Postby Xenon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:26 pm

thebrowncloud wrote:K, so here is my proposition for how to remove the spawn infested terran ability yet still keep infested terrans in the game. The infestor still has fungal growth, yes? And it still does DOT? So how about if the infestor uses fungal growth on marines (and maybe marauders and/or reapers) and it results in their death, instead of killing them they just become infested terrans that may or may not have a time limit on them. Removes the annoying ability, keeps in the unit, and makes the infestor a good counter to infantry for terran. Then a good ability can take the place of spawn infested terran and the lore surrounding how infested marines appear will at least somewhat make sense. Thoughts?

I think Blizzard wanted to avoid mechanics that can only be used against a specific race.

UntamedLoli
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Postby UntamedLoli » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:29 pm

They are making it a focus that everything has a use, of course then they went and killed nydus worm drops which you could defend yourself from with barely anything.

thebrowncloud

Postby thebrowncloud » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Xenon wrote:I think Blizzard wanted to avoid mechanics that can only be used against a specific race.
True, but the only good way to make infested terrans in multiplayer is to make it race specific. I suppose they could make the infested terran its own buildable unit that you crank out of the infestation pit, but I don't see it fulfilling an effective role that way. Either they make it race specific or they take it out of multiplayer are the only ways I see it.  :-\
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw

tipereth

Postby tipereth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:52 pm

I'd love a sort of halfway thing between forcefield and IT. Like, spawns a destructible pathing blocker that explodes after 10 seconds if it isn't killed or something.

Iggyhopper
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Postby Iggyhopper » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:27 pm

I like thebrowncloud's idea. Maybe you can infect zealots and marines, but other enemy zerg units just die normally.

Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Postby Xelxiuz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Xenon wrote:
thebrowncloud wrote:K, so here is my proposition for how to remove the spawn infested terran ability yet still keep infested terrans in the game. The infestor still has fungal growth, yes? And it still does DOT? So how about if the infestor uses fungal growth on marines (and maybe marauders and/or reapers) and it results in their death, instead of killing them they just become infested terrans that may or may not have a time limit on them. Removes the annoying ability, keeps in the unit, and makes the infestor a good counter to infantry for terran. Then a good ability can take the place of spawn infested terran and the lore surrounding how infested marines appear will at least somewhat make sense. Thoughts?

I think Blizzard wanted to avoid mechanics that can only be used against a specific race.

Then bring back the Science Vessel.

That giant pokeball will rape everything in SC2.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:49 pm

Raven > Science Vessel

Seriously, a unit you can spam missiles with that levels anything in an instant, defense drones that cripple every non-instahit ranged unit in the game? Oh, and turrets you can BM with. Amazing. I expect it to get nerfed, but hopefully not by much.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Xelxiuz

Postby Xelxiuz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:03 pm

IskatuMesk wrote:Raven > Science Vessel

Seriously, a unit you can spam missiles with that levels anything in an instant, defense drones that cripple every non-instahit ranged unit in the game? Oh, and turrets you can BM with. Amazing. I expect it to get nerfed, but hopefully not by much.

Do Ravens detect? I forgot >.>

I was mainly referring to the speed of the SV and it's original EMP power. But I haven't touched Raven yet.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Yeah, they detect.

Ghost have EMP now, they're faster to get but just as expensive as vessels really. Ravens make up for the lack of EMP in versatility, utility, and sheer damage potential. Once you get a certain amount of Ravens, it takes a hell of a lot to kill you should you control them correctly. (Just be REALLY careful with shift command, I got a lot of Ravens killed trying to smart-cast missiles and instead flying them into hydras :( )
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Xelxiuz

Postby Xelxiuz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:19 pm

You've made a fair point, though I was actually pointing out that the old EMP removed everything from shields and energy rather than a 100 point hit to shields, and the versatility of a really fast floating basketball that can cover itself with rabies against Zerg and has reasonable HP.

Of course, the defense laser thing is so baller I could care less despite it feeling a lot like C&C

Return to “StarCraft II Discussion”