Upcoming patch + Blizzcast 13

Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: Upcoming patch + Blizzcast 13

Post by Hercanic »

l)ark_ssj9kevin wrote: So, another new patch. They're pumping these out fast, but oh well it's beta.
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23094049316&sid=5000#2
Wow, yeah. I'm guessing this is more the result of continuing internal testing than beta feedback, or they held off on these changes from the first patch until they could get some internal test runs in.
StarCraft II Beta - Patch 1 (version 0.3.14048)
StarCraft II Beta - Patch 2 (version 0.4.0.14133)
They've also inexplicably added a decimal place in their version system.

StarCraft II Beta - Patch 2 (version 0.4.0.14133)

Balance Changes
  • Terran
    • [li]Banshee
      • [li]Cloak: This ability no longer requires Fusion Core to research.
      [/li]
    • Barracks
      • [li]The build time for this building has decreased from 65 to 60.
      [/li]
    • Factory
      • [li]The build time for this building has decreased from 65 to 60.
      [/li]
    • Reactor
      • [li]The build time for this building has decreased from 40 to 25.
      [/li]
    • Reaper
      • [li]The build time for this unit has increased from 30 to 40.
      • Nitro Boost: The build time for this upgrade has increased from 90 to 100.
      [/li]
    • Starport
      • [li]The build time for this building has decreased from 55 to 50.
      [/li]
    • Tech Lab
      • [li]The build time for this building has decreased from 30 to 25.
      [/li]
    [/li]
  • Protoss
    • [li]Mothership
      • [li]The build time for this unit has increased from 120 to 160.
      • The food cost of this unit has increased from 6 to 8.
      • The number of shots fired by this unit has decreased from 8 to 6.
      • The shield of this unit has decreased from 400 to 350.
      • The health of this unit has decreased from 400 to 350.
      • The acceleration of this unit has decreased from 1.3125 to 0.3125.
      • The deceleration of this unit has increased from 0 to 1.
      [/li]
    • Nexus
      • [li]Chrono Boost: The duration of this ability has decreased from 30 to 20.
      [/li]
    [/li]
  • Zerg
    • [li]Corruptor
      • [li]The damage done by this unit has increased from 12 (+8 massive) to 12 (+10 massive).
      [/li]
    [/li]

(Wow, formatting these updates in SMF's BBcode is going to get old real fast)

Looks like Terran has got a boost in their early game timings, with the Reaper's build time being increased to compensate and keep it the same. At least for the first Reaper; after that the timing compounds into a nerf. An additional ten second delay on the Reaper's movement upgrade is another nerf. Without it, a Reaper matches the speed of a worker and can't cross the map as quickly.

The Mothership has been taken to the switch again, this time nerfed in almost every attribute except top speed and price. Though, that last one could be argued, since it now takes up its own Pylon.

Finally, a nerf to Chrono Boost. Now it must be spammed as often as Spawn Larva. (Though I wonder, are these times equatable to Normal or Faster game speed?) I like the basics of Chrono Boost, but I think it still needs more of a nerf. A 50% timing increase on anything is huge. Zerg have larva, sure, but that only allows simultaneous production -- worthless without the resources. Not to mention, four halfway-done units are helpless against one that's complete.

The Corruptor got a buff against the Mothership, Carrier, Colossus, and Battlecruiser.
Last edited by Hercanic on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Thoughts -

Pretty sure the timings are based on "normal" game speed. Faster is 50% faster.

Corruptors are even more powerful. They destroyed BC's pretty damn good, now they'll stand a little better chance vs carriers.

Terran macro is weaker compared to Toss and Zerg who have Chrono Tigger + Larva. This building change was an attempt to compensate for that but I suspect they'll still be weaker. Reaper change is to be expected. This will potentially result in a lot of mass marine spam early-game (I got caught off-guard by that with an early banshee tech build in an FFA, but was still able to kill the player and escape to an island, only to get rolled by about 10 mutas who obliterated my 7 vikings + turrets without issue)

Cloak buff was absolutely necessary.

Chrono Trigger nerf was needed. As it is I can throw it on four stargates with carriers going and two nexii keep this going pretty damn easily.

Mothership should be flat out removed and replaced with Arbiter or something along those lines. Hate unique units. It's a dumb idea and they're going in that direction anyway. What they're trying to do is force it into that defensive role they want. It's not going to work very well.
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

What Terran need to buff their macro is allowing MULEs to help an SCV build faster. It would create a timing advantage like the other races, but also create a choice on what to do with the MULE: mine or build?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

That would only further screw Scanner Sweep.