2010 March 15 - Towards the Terra - No ni Umare No ni Shisu

Discuss the latest and past MP3's of the Week here.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

2010 March 15 - Towards the Terra - No ni Umare No ni Shisu

Post by IskatuMesk »

Title: No ni Umare No ni Shisu
Source: Towards the Terra (Anime)
Artist: Takanashi Yasuharu
Type: Orchestral

Immersion is everything. Whether you're making a mod, writing a novel, or are trying to experience something, immersion is what will catch you. Without immersion there is nothing holding the work together. Gameplay, mechanics, and structure will fade away into obscurity because there is nothing that keeps you drawn in. You become detached. And this is one of the greatest flaws of most projects created by both companies and the end-user.

One of the most important elements in establishing immersion is music.

I spend quite a lot of time just randomly downloading music from various places. Torrents, Newsbin, forums, google ect. I comb LastFM and Youtube left and right, chaining off of related hits in a giant tangled mess of a tree searching for the perfect elements to help shape my worlds. I treat picking music for my mods, novel, and related things as a religion. There can be no greater reward than having that perfect piece that fits the event like a vacuum-sealed latex condom.

By chance I came across Towards the Terra and immediately realized I had discovered something legendary. There is so much awesome music in these soundtracks that I'll most certainly be posting more throughout my time here.

This particular track I chose for a Zelconian battle theme in the now-discontinued Black Sun mods. It is powerful and simple, yet sophisticated and fresh. It establishes the mindset of Zelconian fleet combat very neatly, and meshes well with the Dark Void tracks I also chose for the Zelconian.

This composer is amazing. I've been hunting down other soundtracks of his... but that is a story for another day.