10 Years

Moderator: Hercanic

Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

10 Years

Post by Hercanic »

June, 2001 - I began what would become STF. Intended as a mere test project to cut my gums on modding, the attention I garnered at Camelot Systems from mere screenshots of the Pyro setting units on fire (rather new in those primitive days) motivated me to pursue the project in earnest. A modeler, JackBlack, took interest and offered his abilities. As I pimped screenshots of our work on various sites, hosting offers came pouring in. I was still new to the Starcraft community, so had little foreknowledge to gauge the value of each offer. Ultimately, I chose CampaignCreations (despite hating the horrible color scheme of their old bright green and blue forum), and looking back, I couldn't have made a wiser decision.

With hosting came the task of creating a website, of which I was grossly under qualified. I started to poach textures that I thought were cool and intended to chop them up and make a "cool" site. To my relief, a talented fellow by the name of Xealous stepped up to the challenge. When I showed him what I had been planning for the site, he immediately recognized the artwork. Xealous knew the artist, and also knew that he would not be too pleased with my wholesale plundering of his work. Xealous quickly set me straight, teaching a valuable lesson about how small this world really is. So, we scratched that plan off the agenda, and instead Xealous produced all the fantastic graphics you see today on STF's website.

Once the site was up, out of curiosity I added a hit counter. After only a few days, much to my astonishment, the site had racked up several thousand hits. At that instant, I knew I wanted to create a community for what were, so far, only digits on a counter. Were those really actual people? I had to know.

Thus, the Bootcamp forum was born. There, many friendships were made, ones that persist even to this day. Fast forward to BlizzCon '09, where myself, Lavarinth, Dreadnaught, and DarkOmen all paused for a moment, reflecting on what had just been said by one of us, "If it wasn't for STF, none of us would have known each other." These words touched me. A silly little Starcraft mod I had created so many years ago had an actual, measurable effect on other people's lives. Who would have thought?

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of STF, I'd like to present to you all the very first edition of STF I ever privately tested with another person. Entitled "Hercanic's Team Fortress", it's pretty damn crappy. (Really, it is. The SECWAD format won't even run on Windows XP or higher.) Still, if you'd like a piece of obscure history to dust the far corner of your 5 Terabyte hard drive, enjoy. =o)

STF v1.6

Thank you, for all the memories, laughs, and inspiration.
Hercanic

Re: 10 Years

Post by Hercanic »

STF 1.6.rar
Thanks to Taeradun for the extraction, here is a version that'll work on XP/Vista/7. Playing through it, I can see the iscript.bin isn't working, so the mod is even more lackluster than it should be. Hrm. My best guess is the extraction might have rendered the iscript.bin file path unreadable, so it isn't loaded when the mod is played.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

[reserved]

It's too bad that Dark Men became too hardcore to talk to us small folk anymore.

Also grats and all that. Welcome to the club of old fogies.
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

[reserved]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

[reserved for congratulatory post]
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

srs tho, grats on the ding

lol @ secwads, those were they days
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Almost no one these days even knows what stardraft even was. I commonly confuse the name with datedit as well.
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

So, I've had this CWAD-to-MPQ converter program for many, many years. I've used it before, and it worked, so I thought, "Great, I'll never had to worry about CWADs/SECWADs again!" Now, I try using it to grab the files from STF 1.6, so I can recompile them into a more current format, and of course the extraction program doesn't work. Does it not work in XP? Did I only ever use it back when I was on Win98? I guess so. =o(
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Extraction?

A fair number of older tools don't work on vista/windows 7, including the old rad tools.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Virtual PC 2007 (Not the Windows 7 version, Vista's version) ftw!
- - Lavarinth
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

EXE_to_MPQ.zip
This is the program. If anyone can get it to work (such as in Lav's mentioned Virtual PC 2007 on Vista, or if you actually have a Win98 computer lying around) and extract the files from STF 1.6, I'd certainly be appreciative.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

seemed to work for me in an XP VM (had to download comdlg32.ocx first), I haven't tested the file works properly yet though

http://rws.somekindofgenius.com/crap/TF ... 201.6).mpq
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Hercanic wrote:
EXE_to_MPQ.zip
This is the program. If anyone can get it to work (such as in Lav's mentioned Virtual PC 2007 on Vista, or if you actually have a Win98 computer lying around) and extract the files from STF 1.6, I'd certainly be appreciative.
You can have the Vista version on Windows 7, you just have to uninstall Virtual PC (not the lack of a year on it) to install Virtual PC 2007. The only major different is the Windows 7 version removed the support for full screen.
- - Lavarinth
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Can you install it on Home?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator