(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
brokindreamz
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Re: The Rebellion (Working Title)

Post by brokindreamz »

After hours of frustration, i am prouid to present my final work:
(link disabled by author)

i feel pretty confident that i have fixed all the bugs, if you find any, please llet me know.

First Week
The first week i worked on the third mission, i had to build the map. making sure to make the map as detailed and beautiful as possible. later on, i went to work on the triggers. there were some pretty neat triggers on this map, but not a hassle to make. grammer work was done later on after i put in the mission briefing, objectives, and in-game dialog.

Second Week
I went back to check the various triggers i had on the third mission and after i felt confident enough, i went to work on making the landscape for the fourth mission. the fourth mission is probably the most frustrating mission out of all of them. glitches popped out left and right and i had no idea what was happening. in the end, i got the triggers down (i hope) and all was left are the mission briefing and dialog.

Third Week
the third week i was too busy work on my campaign, but i managed to check my script and make some changes i tjhought that made the story better.

Fourth Week
work isn't allowing me to get things done, but little by littlle i was making progress on making the fifth mission. building the landscape, making the triggers and putting in the dialog took me two weeks. it was really frustrating, but i was able to complete it anyways.

Sixth Week
for the sixrth mission, the map had to be easy to get around and harder for the player to actually get an advantage on the computer player. for this mission, there was only one race so i had to make the ai a little bit harder. working on the landscape for this mission was really hard, the various obstucles had to be put in without making it stand out. the trigger and dialog came after and that. the trigger for this map was also frustrating., lots of bugs were solved before the final version.

So Forth
after the completion of the maps i spent almost everyday reviewing each mission, the dialog and triggers. after i felt confident to upload my work, there were problems with the file hosting website, for some reason it wasn't allowing me to upload anytjhing, but through my presistence, i managed to finally upload my maps.

All my maps were created using the map editor that came with he game, no modding or special map editor was used, i believe in making maps the way the developers intended.

i hope you enjoy playing my maps almost as much as i enjoyed making them and...look out for secrets and hidden treasures. each map has one secret message or hidden tresure, Good Luck!
Last edited by brokindreamz on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Hey, man! brokindreamz, dude, do you have a zip/rar of the files? That would be awesome.
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Krazy »

Hey brokindreamz,

I just played your first mission.  First, let me commend you on having a lot of skill with divergent paths and a strong understand of what makes for a fun b&d mission.  It was pretty fun, but there's a few trigger things you need to work on:

1 - There is no victory trigger... lol

2 - The player is relatively likely to take the left path to reach the southern forces, especially since there is a triggered death on the southern pass.  Since I didn't know how the triggers fired, I opted for the tanks and bunkers where I knew what I was facing instead of the triggers I didn't.  Since your terrain leaves this option (and I think it's an excellent choice!) you need to adjust some locations/triggers:

-Your "Marine Talk" location needs to be expanded over the entire teal base, or if not have a different one for each entrance, with a switch so that it doesn't fire multiple times.  For me it fired about 10 minutes into the campaign, when an scv went up there to build a depot lol.  

-You might want to add a condition to the "sniper on the ridge" so that it doesn't fire if the player has a command center, since the ghosts on the ridge will likely be moved by dropships if you come back to that route later.  I know there's a low chance of the player completely missing it, but I think it's these little details that really help.

3 - You did a great job with disabling buildings/tech that couldn't be used, but you probably also need to disable nuke silos since you can't build science facilities.  

If you want to make the 'marine talk' trigger less of a pain to make versatile, just adjust it so that it comes when the players find the scvs or reaches the command center.

Continuing on, to mission 2:

This mission had no real technical flaws, but I have a question about the lore.  If the enemy is trying to unleash the zerg, shouldn't they be using a psi *emitter* rather than a psi *disruptor*?  Maybe you're breaking into the base to activate a psi disruptor?  Or something?  In vanilla the emitters were used to lure the zerg to planets; the disruptors were what disabled control over the zerg.

Also, that spider mine trap part of the mission was really fun, nice job.

Mission 3:

I felt like the early game was a little slow... actually, very slow.  An expansion, like maybe by where the small group of purple buildings are to the right of your base, would really speed things along.  Maybe even encourage the computer to expansion somewhere so it's more aggressive.  The mineral placement at the main is also a little annoying, because scvs will try to get to the ones behind the first row and start wandering up and down the ridge.  

I also didn't have to kill the power generators to win.  Maximum armor upgrades and 3 defensive matrixes was more than enough.

Uploading:

Megaupload gives me pop-up-bombs.  I'd rather take the wait times of 4shared than deal with bombs.

Some screens for fun:

Fighting for the ridge: http://www.wegame.com/view/StarCraft_Screenshot_by_LokiArexon_20090728_14_43_15/

Taking the ridge: http://www.wegame.com/view/StarCraft_Screenshot_by_LokiArexon_20090728_14_44_38/ 

Blasting through OJ: http://www.wegame.com/view/StarCraft_Screenshot_by_LokiArexon_20090728_14_55_23/

Pushing past turrets: http://www.wegame.com/view/StarCraft_Screenshot_by_LokiArexon_20090728_15_07_14/
Last edited by Krazy on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://krazygaming.freeforums.org/
brokindreamz

Post by brokindreamz »

Krazy wrote:   Hey brokindreamz,

I just played your first mission.  First, let me commend you on having a lot of skill with divergent paths and a strong understand of what makes for a fun b&d mission.  It was pretty fun, but there's a few trigger things you need to work on:

1 - There is no victory trigger... lol

2 - The player is relatively likely to take the left path to reach the southern forces, especially since there is a triggered death on the southern pass.  Since I didn't know how the triggers fired, I opted for the tanks and bunkers where I knew what I was facing instead of the triggers I didn't.  Since your terrain leaves this option (and I think it's an excellent choice!) you need to adjust some locations/triggers:

-Your "Marine Talk" location needs to be expanded over the entire teal base, or if not have a different one for each entrance, with a switch so that it doesn't fire multiple times.  For me it fired about 10 minutes into the campaign, when an scv went up there to build a depot lol. 

-You might want to add a condition to the "sniper on the ridge" so that it doesn't fire if the player has a command center, since the ghosts on the ridge will likely be moved by dropships if you come back to that route later.  I know there's a low chance of the player completely missing it, but I think it's these little details that really help.

3 - You did a great job with disabling buildings/tech that couldn't be used, but you probably also need to disable nuke silos since you can't build science facilities. 

If you want to make the 'marine talk' trigger less of a pain to make versatile, just adjust it so that it comes when the players find the scvs or reaches the command center.

Continuing on, to mission 2:

This mission had no real technical flaws, but I have a question about the lore.  If the enemy is trying to unleash the zerg, shouldn't they be using a psi *emitter* rather than a psi *disruptor*?  Maybe you're breaking into the base to activate a psi disruptor?  Or something?  In vanilla the emitters were used to lure the zerg to planets; the disruptors were what disabled control over the zerg.

Also, that spider mine trap part of the mission was really fun, nice job.

Mission 3:

I felt like the early game was a little slow... actually, very slow.  An expansion, like maybe by where the small group of purple buildings are to the right of your base, would really speed things along.  Maybe even encourage the computer to expansion somewhere so it's more aggressive.  The mineral placement at the main is also a little annoying, because scvs will try to get to the ones behind the first row and start wandering up and down the ridge. 

I also didn't have to kill the power generators to win.  Maximum armor upgrades and 3 defensive matrixes was more than enough.

Replaying to Krazy
Thanks for the heads up. I found out about the no victory thing for the first mission and i fixed, the i do things is i keep the original in case i screw things up and i can go back and find out what happened. i guess i uploaded the wrong one. about the psi disrupter, i guess its been a long time since i played the campaign and i guess i got it wrong, well anyways, thanks for the feedback and i think i'll go back and fix these issues before the deadline. thanks to you, at least i'm not too late. did you enter the contest? if so, i'd like to see what you came up with.
brokindreamz

Post by brokindreamz »

GnaReffotsirk wrote: Hey, man! brokindreamz, dude, do you have a zip/rar of the files? That would be awesome.
yeah sorry about that, ii think i'll take Krazy's advice and try 4shared.com. i'll have the link up soon.
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

Hmmmm... Now that you removed the link from where are we going to download the campaign?  :-\
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Which unfortunately is a big problem now since technically the new deadline just got passed (perphas even one hour already but just in case I screwed up for timezones) and there is no download link (and I didn't download it since I waited for any final versions). So I fear you might be considered late now.

EDIT : I presume the penalty point will be -1 per day including a -1 off the start. Although ultimately, it will depend on Lavarinth.

EDIT 2 : My bad, I didn't read the time correctly. The deadline is STILL not passed, about 11 hours to go. However since the author's last post is about 2-3 days ago, it doesn't look promising to meet the deadline (since I presume he thought of it as "final" but yet removed all links and forgot to post new ones).
Last edited by Ricky_Honejasi on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: Which unfortunately is a big problem now since technically the new deadline just got passed (perphas even one hour already but just in case I screwed up for timezones) and there is no download link (and I didn't download it since I waited for any final versions). So I fear you might be considered late now.

EDIT : I presume the penalty point will be -1 per day including a -1 off the start. Although ultimately, it will depend on Lavarinth.

EDIT 2 : My bad, I didn't read the time correctly. The deadline is STILL not passed, about 11 hours to go. However since the author's last post is about 2-3 days ago, it doesn't look promising to meet the deadline (since I presume he thought of it as "final" but yet removed all links and forgot to post new ones).
Well, if the contest ends and he didn't posted a new download link, I think we could ask someone who has downloaded the previous to post a link. That version was released days ago, and such I think he can't be considered late.
Last edited by omega20 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[imgwh 400x120]http://www.sigrealm.com/freesigs/178_Starcraft2MultSig.jpg[/imgwh]
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

If someone already downloaded his campaign, I guess they can post a download link right now to ensure his campaign is downloadable (and possible to give some score if the author is plain unavailable) even if it's incomplete.

However after the campaign testing starts, his campaign will come last for testing in case the author "wakes" up 2-3 days later and his situation becomes a specific one to be solved.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: If someone already downloaded his campaign, I guess they can post a download link right now to ensure his campaign is downloadable (and possible to give some score if the author is plain unavailable) even if it's incomplete.

However after the campaign testing starts, his campaign will come last for testing in case the author "wakes" up 2-3 days later and his situation becomes a specific one to be solved.
Actually, the campaign is (or was) downloadable (I myself downloaded it on my other computer). However, I don't have it in this computer and so unable to upload it. I'm pretty sure Krazy has downloaded it, so we could ask him.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

omega20 wrote: Actually, the campaign is (or was) downloadable (I myself downloaded it on my other computer). However, I don't have it in this computer and so unable to upload it. I'm pretty sure Krazy has downloaded it, so we could ask him.
Well, Krazy can upload it and post a link to the campaign in this thread then.
Krazy

Post by Krazy »

I only have the version with the broken first mission with no victory trigger.  I guess I can upload it but I had the impression he had a more recent version...

However, since it was asked for, here is the buggy version that was originally posted: http://www.4shared.com/file/122470191/9892dde9/Defiance_of_the_Fallen.html
Last edited by Krazy on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://krazygaming.freeforums.org/
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Krazy wrote: I only have the version with the broken first mission with no victory trigger.  I guess I can upload it but I had the impression he had a more recent version...

However, since it was asked for, here is the buggy version that was originally posted.
Well, it'll be always better than nothing, I guess. ;)