Dreams of Eternity (working title)

(June 6th, 2009 - June 15th, 2009) Completed: July 31st, 2009
User avatar

Topic author
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:17 am
Status: Offline

Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Legion » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:19 pm

Name: BadManners!
Age: 24
Direction:
I intend to produce an 8-10 mission campaign related to each of the three races. The first missions will focus on the protoss, and the terrans and zerg will make their appearance as playable races later on. As the story progresses, players will find themselves aiding (or fighting) lore characters like Artanis, Zeratul, Jim Raynor and Kerrigan at both Blizzard-established and new locations. New characters (created by myself or lifted from other official non-game sources)  will also be added to the mix, such as Thuras, praetor of the Khalai Resistance forces holding the fort on Aiur and an escaped convict named Fawkes. Gameplay won't be limited to build & destroy / seek & destroy, and the campaign will feature trigger-driven cutscenes to bring the story to life.

The title "Dreams of Eternity" (currently a working title) relates to all three races in this campaign.


Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: www.CampaignCreations.org
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Campaign Creations » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:04 am

Approved.

User avatar

Topic author
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:17 am
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Legion » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:36 am

12th June

Okay. Pretty big list of campaigns here. Gonna be tough.

Dreams of Eternity is going to be a campaign without too many custom material. I do intend to add music (yes, I'm a believer now) but I won't voice it because of the involvement of Blizzard characters and because I've been losing interest in voices/sound editing altogether. I'm going to pay extra attention to the look and feel of the map. However, minigames and/or experimental gameplay is not my thing, so don't expect some ingenious points systems or epic boss fights or whathaveyou.

I plan on including three protoss characters borrowed from Blizzard. They're Zeratul, Ulrezaj and Thuras. The latter was first introduced in a Metzen-penned short story as  an assistant of sorts to Executor Tassadar. In my universe, he's resurfaced as the praetor of the khalai resistance on Aiur. Ulrezaj, though an established character from the Enslavers campaigns, is going to play a vital part as well. So far, I haven't made up my mind about the terran cast. Out of 10 fan-campaigns, at least 7 of them have Jim Raynor popping up somewhere, and I feel like I don't want to do that. Instead, I'm looking for a terran equivalent for my story. The zerg... *sigh* the zerg... Are there any real zerg left anyway? Brood War really destroyed that creepy race for me with its Kerrigans and Durans. Anyway, more detailed character descriptions to come.

Dreams of Eternity will count 10 maps max, but I'm expecting it to be around 8.

User avatar

Topic author
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:17 am
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Legion » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Laconius wrote:
BadManners! wrote:12th June
-but I won't voice it because of the involvement of Blizzard characters and because I've been losing interest in voices/sound editing altogether.


What...

One of my main motivational factors for entering this campaign contest was to lock horns with the winner of the previous contest.  AKA You.  Not to mention, I was dying to request voices from you nearly 4 months ago after witnessing your exceptional voice-over of the Overmind in Dark Swarm, as well as Fenix and Artanis in Return to Braxis.  However, seeing as how I had little chance for your cooperation at the time (I was unknown), I got my shit together and slowly built up my voicing talent to the level it is now; mainly for the chance to compete against you.

F*ck me, but imo your voicing talent squelches a good portion of the voiced campaigns here at CC, or even SAmods for that matter.  You say you feel unmotivated to voice your characters because "Blizzard voiced them first"?  In that case, and to pertain to a very RARE circumstance, I'd dare to notion that your voices rival/exceed that of what Blizzard has to offer.

BadManners! wrote:12th June
Out of 10 fan-campaigns, at least 7 of them have Jim Raynor popping up somewhere, and I feel like I don't want to do that.


EXACTLY.  Even as the storm brews before SC II's arrival, we're still seeing this type of garbage being churned out at an inconceivable rate.  Nevertheless, I believe you will end up contradicting yourself to this standard if you limit yourself by claiming that "minigames and/or experimental gameplay" are not your thing, simply because they are a pain to mingle with in StarEdit. 

To sum it up, I will be extremely disappointed if you disavow your true talent to kneel before Blizzard's petty standards.  I've been exerting major effort to surpass said standards in order to show my audience what they've been missing in StarCraft; and it is my wish that you would do likewise.


Whoa. Thanks, I guess.

So you're saying it wouldn't be strange to hear a different Zeratul? Interesting thought...

Gotta say, Laconius, your view on things is refreshing.

"I must think on this. I must think on this at great length."

User avatar

Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 967
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:21 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Whiplash! » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:54 pm

I'm using raynor I don't care who else plans on using him
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

User avatar

Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero
Posts: 1470
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Fort Worth
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Marco » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Laconius wrote:EXACTLY.  Even as the storm brews before SC II's arrival, we're still seeing this type of garbage being churned out at an inconceivable rate.  Nevertheless, I believe you will end up contradicting yourself to this standard if you limit yourself by claiming that "minigames and/or experimental gameplay" are not your thing, simply because they are a pain to mingle with in StarEdit. 


I wouldn't exactly lump any campaign who dares to use a canon character into the category of garbage.  I'm actually hoping that one campaign who DOES use the canon characters will end up winning and show map makers that their use isn't a stain on the tapestry of campaigns.  Usually new map makers start with the canon characters because it saves them time of having to think up new ones.  Jim Raynor is an extremely obvious voice because he was about the only Terran hero in the entire game that could really be called a hero.

A lot of our bias toward using canon characters mainstream stems from the fact that they are associated with bad maps.  Plus you can't voice a canon character, thus making them inaccessible.  Yet still, there is an unrealized potential hidden within them it the right map maker can come along and bring that potential to the surface.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

Anise McConnell
Bryce Littlefield
Issac Rangel
Tyson Reznor

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield

User avatar

Sodon
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:31 pm
Location: USA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Sodon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:37 pm

I really think part of the problem is that almost every character in StarCraft was flat. Mengsk's only motivation is to fight the Confederacy. Kerrigan's only motivation becomes the Zerg. They are not complicated or nuanced whatsoever. That damn Admiral and his pride may have been the most developed one!

It's hard to really write interesting stories for these characters when they have such simplistic personalities. That being said, what I have heard and read about StarCraft II suggests Blizzard writers have definitely matured as storytellers. I'd be more eager to use canon characters after seeing what they do next.
Stupazin'.

User avatar

Eredalis
Terran Command Center Custodian
Terran Command Center Custodian
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Eredalis » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:38 am

"I must think on this. I must think on this at great length."

There is nothing you must think about it, Legion!
In the end, it is of course your decision, but if you don't use your great voice talent for your campaign "Dreams of Eternity", then this is for me a reason not to play them. Seriously, I look after absolutely no doubt that you are able to lend to the great Zeratul the striking main features of his voice.

Nevertheless, the Overmind you have also spoken brilliantly, only as an example...  8)

User avatar

Topic author
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:17 am
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Legion » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:13 am

Eredalis wrote:
"I must think on this. I must think on this at great length."

There is nothing you must think about it, Legion!
In the end, it is of course your decision, but if you don't use your great voice talent for your campaign "Dreams of Eternity", then this is for me a reason not to play them. Seriously, I look after absolutely no doubt that you are able to lend to the great Zeratul the striking main features of his voice.

Nevertheless, the Overmind you have also spoken brilliantly, only as an example...  8)


Thank you.

What I was considering is a way to circumvent my main problem in relation to voicing the campaign: the use of Zeratul. The voice effects I have for him are pretty close, but my voice just doesn't have what it takes to deliver a convincing Zeratul. So, basically, I'm trying to find a way to get him off my cast.

It'd make me sad if people didn't want to play my campaign if it isn't voiced.

User avatar

Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper
Posts: 967
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:21 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Whiplash! » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:19 am

BadManners I have FOUR MAJOR OFFICIAL STARCRACFT CHARACTERS that are going to be voiced. So don't give me crap about 1!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

User avatar

Topic author
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:17 am
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Legion » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:24 am

Whiplash! wrote:BadManners I have FOUR MAJOR OFFICIAL STARCRACFT CHARACTERS that are going to be voiced. So don't give me crap about 1!


Ehh... Point me to the part where I referred to you, and I'll apologize. :p

Seriously, though. Seriously? That's way cool. Which ones?

User avatar

Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Thalraxal » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:39 am

I'll still play your campaign even if it's not fully voiced, Legion!

That said though, you've got mad voice acting skills, and it'd be a shame not to put them to use.  Echoing Laconius, your voice work in Return to Braxis and Dark Swarm was fantastic!  I'm pretty sure that even if your Zeratul isn't spot on, it'd still be pretty darn good.

Okay, with the obligatory pep talk out of the way, here's my blunt advice: Your voicing acting work in Dark Swarm is what gave your campaign that extra 10% it needed to beat Battle of Ahman-ro and ACMD0 in the Starcraft Mini-Campaign Contest.  You'll be shooting yourself in the foot if you don't use that skill in Dreams of Eternity.

User avatar

Sodon
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:31 pm
Location: USA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Sodon » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Maybe I shouldn't even bother :P
Stupazin'.

User avatar

Topic author
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:17 am
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Legion » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:41 pm

Sodon wrote:Maybe I shouldn't even bother :P


Why? Voices don't mean shit, man, if you don't have the maps. Trust me, my old computer had hundreds of voice samples... WASTED. YEARS. AND. SPACE.

User avatar

Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero
Posts: 1470
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Fort Worth
Status: Offline

Re: Dreams of Eternity (working title)

Postby Marco » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:32 pm

The best advice I can give people is to always go with your strengths and make that the highlight of your campaign.  If I were to make a campaign today, I would say that character development and dialogue are my primary strength, therefore I'd focus on those aspects.  BUT, you must consider that this is a contest.  So my advice may not work well if your intention is to win here.  In a contest where every aspect is being judged, try to make your strengths stand out a bit while staying focused on the other factors.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

Anise McConnell
Bryce Littlefield
Issac Rangel
Tyson Reznor

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield


Return to “Campaign Creations StarCraft Campaign Contest”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest