[Music] Database of free non-vocal music, where?

RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: [Music] Database of free non-vocal music, where?

Post by RazorclawX »

I don't go to Newgrounds; anything I just said only applied to OC Remix.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

A lot about it on Wikipedia. Copyrights are an international standard so they are the same in every country. Oh and derivative works fall under copyright law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

RazorclawX wrote:
Lavarinth wrote: OC Remix falls under this category as they sale their composer's music and likely pay royalty fees to original gaming companies or music licenses.
Uh, what? Most of the composers on OC Remix do not in fact pay any royalty to do a remix. Furthermore, you do not have to pay for royalties, nor ask for permission, to do whatever the heck is posted on OC Remix as long as you don't try to sell it or claim it's yours.
I meant moreso if they were sold in a compilation, not independently published on their site for free use.

But then I remembered the law of parody.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
chris
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by chris »

You have the right to use ANY song in a NON-COMMERCIAL project you make, copyright or not.

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
Krazy wrote: It is if you use vixy.net or one of the equivalents thereof.
Get with the times, vixy is terribly slow and produces bad quality. Use firefox and downloadhelper, then use virtualdub to take the audio out of the video. (there are plugins that allow virtualdub to accept wmv, mp4, mov, and flv videos.)
Last edited by chris on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Zilla-"]
campaign creations presents campaign creations starcraft campaign contest
[/quote]
[quote="Lavarinth on podcast"]Hey kids, this is Lavarinth. I know I didn't say much in this podcast, actually, I didn't say anything at all. See you guys on the next podcast.[/quote]
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Am I correct in assuming that we as campaign/scenario makers are allowed to (or 'not forbidden to' sounds more like it) use ANY music in non-profit products SUCH AS the campaigns/scenarios we make?  

If yes, all good.

If no, are we as campaign/scenario makers allowed to (or 'not forbidden to' sounds more like it) use music posted on websites like Newgrounds in non-profit products SUCH AS the campaigns/scenarios we make without crediting the author?

Edit:

Just to clarify, it's not that I wouldn't want to credit the author, it's just that you don't always write down the name/handle of that person and it's a bitch to search for that particular name in over 500 pages full of uploaded songs.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

I think it boils down to: Nobody really gives a shit. You're not making a mainstream game/movie/entertainment source. You're also more or less not making anything that will see tremendous amounts of publicity or popularity at all. (unless it's like DotA and randomly explodes or something but that's a whole different story) If you credit the source, you're golden. If you don't know the source, say that. Don't claim ownership, don't try to sell it, and you're fine. If you get a cease and desist, (which you wont) do so.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

tipereth wrote: I think it boils down to: Nobody really gives a shit. You're not making a mainstream game/movie/entertainment source. You're also more or less not making anything that will see tremendous amounts of publicity or popularity at all. (unless it's like DotA and randomly explodes or something but that's a whole different story) If you credit the source, you're golden. If you don't know the source, say that. Don't claim ownership, don't try to sell it, and you're fine. If you get a cease and desist, (which you wont) do so.
Okay, that's clear enough! :D