Project Retribution

Moderator: IskatuMesk

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Project Retribution

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat May 25, 2013 12:12 am

In this video I talk about and then demonstrate in-game some of the new particle systems and textures in the works for Black Sun: Retribution. For the first time since the project began tentative beginnings in early 2012 the public will see some of the new work in motion. Those with close eyes may catch sight of some new ships.

http://www.gameproc.com/meskstuff/ret_particledemo.mkv

Note that the production video will be encoded with significantly higher CRF than this video. The goal will be to remove those bleeding reds and darks and achieve 1:1 picture.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:36 am

The winds of change ebb and flow, and the stars weep their last breaths of life unto the ages. Time marches ever slower, but marches yet, as does the thunder of resolve.

Project Retribution creaks to life once more, with a half-dozen more Anahn ships reaching functional or nearing functional stages. Soon I will split the Royal and Warlord build trees entirely, one step amongst many to bring the Anahn second and third gen material to alpha stages. The Undead are nearly finished entirely, with only the Undead Myrookk needing work to finish their side of the project.

Meanwhile, many DyiithJhinn and Xy`Kranasha ships await to be started, and the entire UDK portion of the project inches closer with every motion.

This task seems utterly impossible. But I will prove it is not.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image
Warning: dialogue contains politically incorrect content. Viewer rearsore may occur.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:18 pm

I am conducting research into FumeFX once again, the plugin used by blizzard and co for their default settings gasoline explosions in ultralisks from siege tanks, and BSG for its ship explosions and, most importantly, I believe it was used in the Yamato movie for one of the very large explosions. This latter example has been my goal to replicate, more or less in a smaller, anime-style version.

The goal is to build animated texture sheets out of the resulting frames, and use these within both sins and the UDK.

For only a day or so total of work, my results so far have been promising. Only time will tell if I am able to figure out the specifics enough to create exactly what I want, or if the resulting effects will look any good in sins and co.

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:53 pm

The main thread has seen some cleanup.

More importantly, I've decided to reserve the Retribution-era sound library only for developers who assisted the project. Of the original Black Sun library, only 1-2 people ever made note having used it. Since the Ret library will be an enormous and extremely valuable resource, it should be reserved for those who were actually a part of the project/community behind it.

Additionally, I am second guessing if I want to continue creating the developer series. According to youtube, over 155 views resulted in only a single complete video of the original Making Of video, which was only around 3-4 hours. The effort into making a full developer series is far from trivial, and I feel it will be a complete waste of my time to pursue it at this rate.

Projections for development have been updated to reflect more current timeline estimations. The Sins portion alone will probably take all of 2013 to finish completely, and the UDK will likely need most or all of 2014 on its own. Due to extreme complications in producing very simple internal videos (due to the massive instability of Vegas), the composition phase is also likely to be a massive logistical clusterfuck.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Postby mark_009_vn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:09 pm

IskatuMesk wrote:More importantly, I've decided to reserve the Retribution-era sound library only for developers who assisted the project.

I used the Black Sun library quite regularly, mostly Undead fx for private projects (the campaign I made for the contest used some sounds in the library I believed...), it's not all unused...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:56 pm

I may have need of your skills when we hit the UDK portion.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Zelconian?

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Zelconian-derived DyiithJhinn tech.

Zelconian ships have a silver appearance.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Postby Pr0nogo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:40 am

I think he was referring to the architecture, not the colour scheme.

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Anahn 4th gen, Xy`Kranasha, and DyiithJhinn all have traits associated with Zelconian tech, since Zelconian tech partially originates from Kyru designs for several reasons. DyiithJhinn tech originated from Zelconian primarily and evolved backwards, while Xy`Kranasha and Anahn reverse engineered components.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

mark_009_vn

Postby mark_009_vn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:19 pm

Pr0nogo wrote:I think he was referring to the architecture, not the colour scheme.

Except originally it IS a Zelconian ship, it's an old ass model he did years ago and just now retconned it to be DyiithJhinn instead.

:P

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:58 am

Yup. Never making another TOA project again after this, so no point leaving behind such a good model.
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Topic author
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Postby IskatuMesk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:21 pm

This takes a really, really long time...
Image~[Gameproc]~Image

Pr0nogo

Postby Pr0nogo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:06 pm

wat

Why do you need to separate the two?

Return to “The Trampletorium”